Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Great adventure there Dan.
Posted by: George-CT
Date: December 02, 2008 08:47PM
Spots like that are fantastic when you find them. Over the years I've found a few and I still go back from time to time. Even though there is not much left to find, just being there and remembering still brings a smile to my face. Most of those I found like that I saved in peanut butter jars and just wrote on the top or inside where, when and why. It still is a thrill to find a spot no one has hit. Fact its a thrill to go where its been hammered and find a nice coin or ring. One of the better hobbies that caught my interest and I've sure gotten a lot of job from it. Your story set me on alert to and old cattle action barn with much the same set up for bleaches. I've got to check with the owner and see if I can hunt that little area. Might be decent. Real nice hunt to read about. Good post.

George-CT

Dan, just as I figured, this is turning into a good story..............
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: December 07, 2008 08:48AM
Were you jumping up and down with excitement when you found those three dimes in the same hole? :lol: I would love to have hunted that old barn where you found the 46 silver coins and pile of wheat pennys...very difficult to do now days, but not impossible. Did you find many bottle caps at that site? I am enjoying this story...on to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Funny but not many bottle caps.........
Posted by: Dan-MO
Date: December 07, 2008 02:41PM
The food and Sodas were sold outside the barn at a concession stand. I guess they were opened before entering the barn.

:usaflag:The evolution of a detectorist......last part
Date: December 02, 2008 09:04PM
I hit that old sale barn every chance I got for weeks! I spent many hours crawling around under those old bleachers finding at least a couple of silver coins nearly every time. There finally came a time when they stopped showing up and I moved on to other spots without much luck. One night as I was looking through my finds I realized I had never found a nickel....or a ring of any value. I threw a nickel out on the ground as well as my old high school gold ring. Passing the detector over them I was surprised to see it wouldn't pick them up. I turned the discriminator down several notches and it picked them up nicely.....back to the bleachers!

My first trip back and the nickels started showing up.....not as many as the silver coins but several. Several Buffalo's,silver war nickels, and to my surprise....several more silver dimes that I had missed before (most found near nickels or trash and probably masked by the high discrimination I had used before) One day I hit a signal under those bleachers and as I brushed the dust back expecting a nickel and hoping it would be a Buffalo........I was AMAZED to be staring at a lady's gold ring! Turned out to be 18k with a small diamond that my wife wears to this day!

That old barn became my school and I learned more about detecting from the many hours spent crawling around under those bleachers than I could have learned from any book......and those friends who laughed at me at first.....most now owned detectors and begged to come with me! A few were looking to get rich quick....and didn't stay with it long. Others still detect to this day.

I became obsessed with metal detecting. When I wasn't detecting I was thinking of places to detect.Every old house I would see I would size up for detecting potential. I would mow the grass and do all my weekend chores at night after work....so my weekends would be free for detecting.My wife would go with me sometimes and was a good sport about me being away most weekend daylight hours......(Maybe the Gold ring and the hopes of more had something to do with it also! LOL!)

I began to get serious about research....I questioned every older person I knew about where they went to school,swam, played ball, went to church,bought there moonshine etc. etc. etc......I found more than one prime spot this way. I also hit the local library....our little town has had a local newspaper in production every year since 1840....and the library has every issue on microfilm.I spent many many hours reading of church picnics and carnivals and horse race tracks and baseball fields of days gone by.....and found many of them! I read a tidbit once of more than 1000 people attending a "Flag Day" picnic at a local church and cemetary in 1900......I knew where the cemetary was....but had no idea there was ever a church there......A knock on a door with a few polite words and question from a farmer got me permission to detect and the exact spot the church had stood intill it burned down in the 1920s.........It had stood across the road from the cemetary in what is now a cow pasture and it netted me several Barber dimes and Indian Heads.

Sometimes I would get so involved reading the old papers that I forgot what I was looking for. My area saw lots of action during the Civil War and control of the town changed hands several times between the Rebs and Yanks. I read where a Company of Yanks rode through main street and nearly everyone in town ran for there lives........except one old 90 year old man who had fought in the Revolutionary war. He stood on his porch and killed the first Yankee that appeared before he was shot to pieces....he was buried as a hero and I can show you his grave today. This got me interested in finding Civil War artifacts and I began seeking out skirimish and camp sites based on clues I got from the old newspaper.....found a few too along with the artifacts including 2 cannon balls several 3 ringers and other artifacts.

By this time I owned a top of the line Whites Spectrum XLT detector.....Thanks to a very surprising Christmas present from my wife.....I guess she saw me drooling over it each month when it was advertised in W&E treasure magazine. It is 10 years old now and has the scars of being drug thru a thousand briar patches......It has more miles on it than General Rays El Camino....but still works great and I am as comfortable with it as I am with a old friend.

My detecting was slowed some a couple of years ago due to some health problems and other prioritys. There was a time when I would have been disappointed to come home from a hunt without a couple of old coins in my pocket.....not so much these days. I get as much pleasure out of the hunt as I do the finding. I have introduced several friends to the hobby and seldom hunt alone these days. I get as much - or more- pleasure seeing the excitement of a friend digging his first Indian Cent or old silver coin as I would digging it myself.

About 5 or 6 years ago I finaliy got a computer and sort of learned how to use it. Of course one of the first things I did was to start looking for treasure storys and metal detecting web sites. After visiting several I was looking through some archives at another site when I ran across some storys written by a guy named Royal about Canadian fishing trips. I didn't like the web site so much.........to many rude people........but I was rolling in the floor reading Royals storys!

A few days later I stumbled onto this site. It was going very well then with several storys being posted nearly every day. I lurked around for weeks without posting -just reading the wonderful storys -when I got the nerve to post a story of my own and introduce myself -Royal quickly welcomed me followed by Fred and Arkie John and a few others who's names I can't recall. That might have been a mistake for Royal cause I haven't shut up for long since then! I have made many dear friends on this forum since then.....Friends from coast to coast and Canada. Friends I feel like I know who I would gladly welcome into my home. Friends who have supported me, laughed with me, and sometimes cried with me. Looking back, these friends who I have met on line and in the field are by far the greatest treasures I have ever found and I wouldn't trade them for all the things combined I have ever dug from the earth. I truly value and appreciate you all. Thanks for taking the time to read -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 06:03PM by Wayne in BC.

Never enjoyed a story more Dan! .........................
Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: December 02, 2008 10:47PM
your progression in metal detecting paralleled my own so closely that it is eerie! Right down to the ring bribe for the wife :biggrin: I remember well when both you and i were new here to the forum and as you said we all made such good friends here that we treasure still.
Well said my friend and thank you:thumbup::thumbup:

A liar will assume you are lying

Same feeling here Dan! The lure of a Hunt is always there, although the treasure comes in many ways,
Posted by: Ron J
Date: December 03, 2008 04:59AM
whether it is a coin, ring or new friends,right here! :thumbup:

A delightful story Dan.. Thank you..
Posted by: Mikie
Date: December 03, 2008 08:25AM
Of all the treasures I have found over the years, the absolute best has been/is the people on this forum. Every one here I count as one of my best friends and we all seem to have in common the start with detecting.

One of the most enjoyable reads I have had.

Fair winds, calm seas

Mikie

"There's no present like the time"

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

What a wonderful post :thumbup:
Posted by: Royal
Date: December 03, 2008 11:25AM
I have done most of my detecting alone for the obvious reason that I do it with scuba and few of my friends dove. I found it easy to find unhunted spots because of this same reason. Research was rather easy. Old people love to talk about the old days and it was easy to get them to open up about the old abandoned swimming areas of their youth. I have done great in these places.

The people on the web and especially this forum have always been great. I miss the ones that are no longer posting here, Rob, DaveVT, David TX, Butch, Laura, Sunny, John and Tom, and the many others from the early years but I guess that is life.

I would be happy to break bread with anyone that posts here and have with some. Like Wayne said when I met him and Mike in BC, He said, "It doesn't seem like a first meeting, it feels like a reunion" and I will tell you, it did.

Your post brought back some great memories from the early days of my detecting and I thank you for it. I think I have written about most of them in the past though. Gotta think on it

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

Re: The evolution of a detectorist......last part
Posted by: Cupajo
Date: December 03, 2008 05:59PM
Hi Fellow Hunter,

Most of us that have been "hunting " for any time at all have stories to tell.

Yours are among the best I've ever read and are parallel to what many of us have experienced.

Thank you for a peek at your experiences and sharing your feelings about them. I for one am glad you wrote about them.

Regards and best wishes to you and yours,

Cupajo

Thanks Cupajo.........glad you liked it!N/T
Date: December 03, 2008 07:31PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Thanks Royal.....
Date: December 03, 2008 07:35PM
My problem with writing a story like this is knowing when to wrap it up! One thought keeps leading to another and I could write for days about hunts I have had......being a one finger typist would make that very hard!:lol:

Thanks Mike......
Date: December 03, 2008 07:47PM
I have found my share of old coins but nothing like you and others here have recovered.......When I started I had a wish list of coins I hoped to dig. Over the years I have managed to cross most of them off the list.....finding several of some. The two coins I have yet to dig are a gold coin or 3 cent piece......I thought I had dug a 3 cent piece once....but it turned out to be a Canadian fish scale.......Now how many of them could have been lost in Missouri? It was still a thrilling find and I still haven't gave up on the 3 cent piece or the gold coin.....might find one in the next signal I dig! Thanks for reading.

Thanks Wayne...and my wife now has several .....
Date: December 03, 2008 07:49PM
Rings I have dug. Oh well, it's lots more fun to dig them than buy them and it does get me out of the house!

Thanks Ron!N/T
Date: December 03, 2008 07:50PM

You never know on that gold coin Dan... I have been very fortunate to have found two... both US.. A $1.00 and a $10.00N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: December 03, 2008 08:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login