Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
But what are they..? Were they made by hobos? If so, why?N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: February 26, 2009 03:26PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Yes they were but others made them also and still do.
Posted by: George-CT
Date: February 26, 2009 05:10PM
Here is some of the info on them, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_nickel but google hobo nickel and check out some of the sites there. You will see some really nice work being done today. Detecting along the tracks from time to time will turn them up as well as old rail stations long since abandoned.

Geo

Don't feel bad, Dan-0, only a few of us can speak hillbilly!!! :lol:N/T
Posted by: Sunny
Date: February 26, 2009 09:37PM

Well,if you had of been there I could have picked you out, cause you would have been sick! :puke:N/T
Date: February 26, 2009 09:40PM

Mike, a very good, good story...
Posted by: Arkie John
Date: February 26, 2009 10:33PM
...written so well. It sure gave me some insight and hurled me back to a few memories of my own.

And...I am ENVIOUS that you can post photos. lol

aj

T'aint that difficult. to post photis Arkie.. If you can get then to the 'putor somewhere, then you can post them.N/T
Date: February 27, 2009 08:18AM

Hey Sunny!!! And thanks again Mike!!
Posted by: Royal
Date: March 01, 2009 04:08PM
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/RoyalOttmar/Videos/?action=view&current=Video1.flv

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

Hey,.............that is big enough to break me off a piece for my birthday!
Date: March 02, 2009 07:04PM
You sure are purty Royal, and I love that devilish little laugh of yours! :devil: :)

I could not help notice that the camera on my laptop
Posted by: Royal
Date: March 02, 2009 08:48PM
makes me look old and half bald HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Accurate sucker at that :D

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

:canadaflag:My first time..
Date: May 12, 2009 09:08AM
The year was 1957. I was 10 years old and had seen a few pictures of, and had read a few stories about, scuba diving.. or as it was known back then, deep sea diving. I was so interested that I asked my parents if they would buy me the equipment to let me dive. The answer, not unexpectedly, was a resounding no! I then decided in was time for the bargaining ploy. If you get me the gear, I will never ask for anything again, etc, etc All to no avail, I might add.

Then it was time to ask, If I earn the money myself, can I get the gear? That was okay with them. As a side note, I realize now that there was not a lot of money in the household in those days so rather than being the ogres I believed at the time, my folks were just being cautious. I guess that they figured that I would soon lose interest and, as was normal, find another hobby that would consume me. : Alas for them, this was to be the one. :

I started picking blackberries [not the big ones, mind. But the little ones. And for those I got 35 cents a pint. It took a lot of picking to get a pint] I also did the neighbours lawns, looked under porches for dropped coins [there was a lot back then, and all silver :): ], picked up pop bottles, did odd jobs such as a 10 year old could do, and squirreled away my allowance] Once a week I would go to the bank where my mother worked and put the money in.

Later in the year, I went to Happys sporting goods store and saw a small tank and regulator for the grand price of $11.00. Nothing would do, but for me to buy it. I could not believe my eyes that a set up would be that [comparatively] inexpensive. I had been expecting to pay in the hundreds of dollars. I got the money and went over and purchased that unit straight away. The box was awfully light but I figured that because it was a junior model, it would be light.

I got my tank set up home and could hardly wait to try it out. The fact that it was May, and the rivers were pretty cold, would not deter me. [yes, I learned to dive in a river]. I was so pleased and proud that I had managed to purchase this myself and still have money left over. I was only when I show it to my father that I got a true lesson in marketing. My tank/regulator set up was nothing more than a plastic look alike copy of a real unit. It was, for all intents and purposes, nothing more than a fancy snorkel. :):. When my father pointed this out to me, I insisted that it was real. The upshot of this was that we returned the unit to Happys, got the money back and my father figured out that this obsession was not going away.

He finally agreed to underwrite PART of the cost of a tank and regulator for me. We withdrew some of my savings and we went shopping. Unfortunately, the cost was prohibitive for us back then so we made a compromise. A full sized tank was a pretty hefty unit for an eleven year old so he made an arrangement to get a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher, somehow he found a diving tank valve and he put them together and viola, we had a tank. Kid sized. : He made a pack out of some metal and straps and fitted it to me. It may have been uncomfortable, or not. All I knew was that I was as pleased as punch to have a tank.

Next came the regulator. This was not going to be and easy find. Diving was still a comparatively next sport, and any used equipment was not even heard of. Somehow, that seemingly insurmountable obstacle would have to be overcome. This actually took a pretty long time but in due course, either my father or I found a regulator. I cannot remember the price but I do remember the name. It was a Mistral and to those who do not know, it was probably one of the worst regulators ever made.:It was the old two hose style, and whenever you rolled over on your back, it would free flow. Every single inhalation was an effort. But in my youthful enthusiasm, it was the best in the world.

Somewhere, I found a mask that would fit me and a set of duck fins and I was now ready to go. I had not read any books on how to dive.. indeed, I am not even certain that there were any formal instruction books back then/ We had arranged to have the take filled at the fire hall, and in July of 1958, I took my first dive with my father watching from above. We went to the Puntledge River and found a fairly calm pool; and I descended to the miraculous depth of 10 feet or so. It was not exciting, at least no exciting in a visual sense, but I had stayed underwater for 10-15 minutes without surfacing and I was in hog heaven.

In time, Things would change and I would learn a little more about diving. I would experience the sensation of freezing my kiester off when I first hit the salt water [no suit for me the first few times :): ], the joys of a new , easily breathing regulator, and more adventures to come. But that was the first time for me and it was every thing that I had wished for. That awe has stayed with me to this day. But it all started with a young boys desire to become as one with water and explore that realm.

Calm seas

Mikie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2009 01:13PM by Wayne in BC.

Well i had no idea that you started that early Mike!.........
Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: May 12, 2009 01:19PM
The days of Lloyd Neilson and "Sea Hunt":thumbup:, i too was smitten but never got near the SCUBA gear like you did until the mid 60's when i dated a girl who had a Dad that was a diver and so was she. My lessons came soon after but although i wanted to do much more, life got in the way and i only managed a few shallow lake dives for the next several years.

Please continue buddy, i'm all eyes! :clapping:

A liar will assume you are lying

I am working on the first ocean dive. I have to thank my sister for dredging these memories out..
Date: May 12, 2009 01:45PM
We got to reminiscing one night and we both did the "Do you remember...?" scenario. That, of course, brought other memories to the front and I am writing them down and will flesh them out in due course.

Yeah.. 51 years this year. Long time. Many of my old buddies have either passed on, or given it up, or, in one case, got himself so bent that he is now in a wheelchair.

I have been lucky I guess.

Fair winds

Mikie

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

Good story Mikie and I can relate to it very well....
Posted by: George-CT
Date: May 12, 2009 03:46PM
I can remember being like you and the only thoughts on my mind were about scuba diving. I was age 16, or 1956 when the bug got to me.
I had been working on peoples boats and saw a chance to make a few more bucks if I had scuba gear. I had saved up about $150 bucks from painting and cauking boats. I sent off to Boston to a place called Kellog Marine and bought a single tank by US Divers and a 2 hose regulator.
The tank was fine, but the regulator would keep flooding out. I finally saved up a few more bucks and bought a Single hose I think it was called Aquamatic. Easy one to use and not the anoying hoses slapping me upside the head. I had a cheap depth gauge , had a air bubble in it that would give you the depth. that didn't last long before I got a better one. I learned to dive on my own by reading and talking with other divers, but as luck would have it, some guys who were keeping their boat at our marina had just opened up a Dive Shop called Aqua Sports.
I later went to all their dive classes and went with them often when they took others out. They were both Navy Divers and taught me a lot and got me away from a lot of bad moves on my part. I rememer my first duck fin's, real stiff black ones, no flex at all but you could walk on the tops of them. I guess I liked them best for being able to fan the bottom and expose cherry stones for the taking at the mouth of the river.

They taught me how to make my first wet suit with the 1/4 inch rubber and the instant glue. No linning in them then so the powder was a must to get it on. I had a great time doing it, and it sure helped out at the marina with the boats and the lobster tank intakes that were in about 60 feet of water. I was always clearing them of seaweed etc. I got married kind of young so once after about 2 years we decided to have kids, 3 kids later there was not time to dive to often and the gear was agging so I sold it. I got in and out of it later with other buddies but never really back into it full bore. Then once the heart problem came up, that pretty much put it off limits. Your post brough up some nice memories to think about and diving with friends. Often we just did the buddy system and shared tank playing in the ponds etc.

The two guys that taught me, went on to become well know divers in the Navy. Al Stover and Bob Carnary. Al ended up dieing in a dive on the Alumanut Dive bell when he locked him self in on cell to conserved air for the rest of them as he was the smallest and died from hypothermia.

Look forward to the rest of your adventures. Good reading......

George-CT

Re: Stories by Mikie........
Posted by: Cupajo
Date: May 12, 2009 05:48PM
"Silent World" got me interested and I as a teen somehow managed to find money enough to buy snorkeling gear!

Over the years since I have snorkeled a bit in some beautiful settings, but have never managed to go the compressed air route.

Obligations somehow always got in the way.

I really enjoy ed the limited experiences I have had.

Thanks for the excellent read Mikie!!

Kindred spirits one and all!!

CJ

Hey George.. your memories seem to parallel mine.. Although my first suit was a homemade 'dry' [sorta] suit.
Date: May 12, 2009 07:14PM
Made from surplus rubber that my father got and did it ever suck. When I got my first wet suit, I was in heaven. I can still tell you the price [27 cents] of a container of corn starch that we used back then to ease us into our suits.

More to come later.

Fair winds

Mikie

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"