Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Thanks George... I tell you, I now look back and realize just how lucky my childhood was.
Posted by: Mikie
Date: December 30, 2008 10:31PM
I have been back a few times with the detector. But most stuff is found there just by digging... or at least it was. That was years back so things may have changed.

One of my most prized finds from there is a mother of pearl poker chip. [at least I think it is a poker chip.. correct size and all.. but no numerical value]. Found that when I was wandering through chinatown , just poking out on the surface. I had forgotten all about it and when my father died, I found it in the effects. I guess I gave it to him when I was young. He must have saved it for me [knowing my propensity to lose things when I was a kid. :): ]

Courtenay is far too cosmopolitan these days. I suspect that very few people even know of the tribulations that were extant in those turbulent days. The population is probably around 25-30,000. When I was there, total population was 800. With those small numbers, grudges were easier to maintain.

Calm seas

Micheal

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

Those old mines were terrible and if the miners had not
Posted by: Royal
Date: December 31, 2008 05:59AM
Unionized the conditions would still be bad. Many are still killed in the mines. Those owners are not much different than the modern mine and factory owners. If not for the Unions and the laws the Unions forced through we would still be working in dangerous conditions for a buck an hour. Now we have to worry about the Unions, sadly.

I remember that old town you took me to, I think it was a mining town, where the river ran right down under the main street. What a rough life

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

That was Sandon... in the part of our area they call "The Silvery Slocan"
Date: December 31, 2008 07:54AM
It amazes me that the owners could be so brutal to their men.. A mule was worth more than a man back then. :(:

calm seas

Micheal

Mikie, as the daughter of a union carpenter, I know all about
Posted by: Sunny
Date: January 02, 2009 09:28PM
the "scabs" crossing the line. This happened in my daddy's union a lot, or so it seemed! The book sounds interesting.........are there any signs that the mines are still there today???

If our fathers knew half the things we did, or places we went,.........all our butts would have stayed red!!!! :rofl:

There are all manner of signs where the mines were............ if you know where to look.
Date: January 03, 2009 08:30AM
However, the adits have now been all cemented in so access to the mines themselves is pretty much impossible. However, those with a lot of knowledge of the area [ME !! ME!! :):] still know where the ventilation shafts are/were. Not that I have any desire to go down into those mines any more. :):

fair winds

Micheal

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

Re: Morning Eric.. Hope that you are managing with all that whote stuff [sand :): ] on the ground.
Posted by: bdahunter
Date: January 04, 2009 11:26AM
Mikie
The more I think about it, the more I appreciate just what Courtenay was in those days. A safe place to grow up..... and really, it does not get any better than that for children.

Where did you live while in Courtenay? My home was the forty houses!! [any old timer can tell you where that is/was] However, I spent much of my time on my uncles farm out Tsolum way!!!

Fair winds

Micheal

Hi Mike:

Apologies for the late reply. I used to live at the Puntledge Terrace Condos that backed onto the Puntledge River, right beside the bridge. The bald eagles would perch in the trees along the river when the salmon were running and the seals would travel up that farm on the high tide. 3 blocks to downtown but 3 steps to farmland, perfect. Eventually I moved up to a house on the golf course at Crown Isle as I was a builder there. I sold out in 1998 and headed east and then eventually south to Bermuda. Where were the 40 houses?

Cheers,

Eric

Here is Google Earth view of Sandon. What beautiful country!!
Posted by: Royal
Date: January 04, 2009 01:45PM

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/

INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

17th and Mcphee Eric.. Roght beside the railrpad tracks.. It was the first subdivision in Courtenay... All postwar homes!!N/T
Date: January 04, 2009 02:53PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

:canadaflag:Black coral
Date: February 24, 2009 08:12PM
The year was 1964

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 10:16PM by Wayne in BC.

Mikie, I am surprised that your dad relented and gave
Posted by: Sunny
Date: February 24, 2009 08:28PM
you permission to go, or at least helped you. You were so young. It is sad about the hitching rides. I used to pick people up all the time when I was that age though. I think I wrote a story about picking up a young girl and her baby, and took her home with me. But that's another story.

I have to agree, I have been to Cozumal one time in my life, and loved it. We went diving, but not very deep. We did find a private beach and had a great skinny dippin' experience. I remember dropping a quater off the boat and watching it fall almost 50 feet. It was amazing. I would love to go back, but people tell me it's not the same as it used to be. When I was there, the only place we could find was a TGI Friday's and got a hamburger! Now I'm sure it's probably a big town.

Loved your story...........and it musta been Royal you gave the black corral to,.................it sure wasn't me!!!! :poke:

Re: Black coral
Posted by: Cupajo
Date: February 24, 2009 08:46PM
Hi Mikie,

What wonderful memories!! There are so few people in this life that are willing to step out of their rut and live a little that it is amazing.

I'm glad you shared your experiences with us Friend,

Cupajo

Skinny dippin', Huh??? I shoulda been there :):
Date: February 24, 2009 09:52PM
It would appear to be tourist central now... But back then, it was a small, cozy little place.

Fair winds

Mikie

Thank you for taking the time to read it Cupa.. :thumbup:N/T
Date: February 24, 2009 09:57PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Mike, I really enjoyed this story...........
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:07PM
I have always enjoyed stories about adventures like this one. I have never heard of black coral until I read your story...learned something new. Thanks for sharing this story...it is a good one! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you!"

Hey Fred... Cozumal is only a short skip from your area...
Date: February 24, 2009 10:29PM
Those were the days though.. You were young, had your whole life in front of you and everything was coming up roses.

Good memories

Calm seas

Mikie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login