Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
:usaflag: Christmas Day On The Connecticut Shore!!
Posted by: Cupajo
Date: December 25, 2009 08:58AM
After enjoying a house-full of family Christmas eve I was looking forward to a chance to get out in the fresh air and sun-shine.

At 9AM on Christmas morning the water is calm and the freezing north wind has finally settled down and I managed to get down to the waters edge for a look-see.

What had been about 2' of light snow has settled into 6-8" of crunchy ice/snow.

The stone I use for a tide reference is visible at about two hours before dead low tide and off in the opposite direction the expance of snow and calm water are clearly seen.

The water's edge is at this stage of tide, is about 50-60' farther out from where it is when the hunting is at its best here.

Seasonal storms have pulled truck loads of sand down from high up on the beach and covered countless (perhaps) rings, coins and other goodies!

Ideally the waters edge at this tide will be at the gravel line in the pics.

There are still a few places along here where hunting is fair and if the weather warms a bit more I may get out there in a day or so and try my luck!

GL&HH Friends,

CJ

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2009 09:17AM by Cupajo.

Re: :usaflag: Christmas Day On The Connecticut Shore!!
Posted by: halfdimenut
Date: December 25, 2009 10:01AM
Beautiful just beautiful, one thing about metal detecting I regret is I do not live close enough to a beach, Merry Christmas and may the next year be your best yet!!!!!!!!

Date: December 25, 2009 10:18AM
Many thanks for your reply and your kind words Friend,

CJ

Gorgeous.... simply gorgeous!!! :thumbup:N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: December 26, 2009 07:46AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Re: Gorgeous.... simply gorgeous!!! :thumbup:
Date: December 26, 2009 10:02AM
Thank you Mikie!!

After living here over 40 years I still am in awe of the constant changes!!

I do make the most of it as you can see via this reply I sent to another forum reader.

When it's too rough or cold for water hunting I have a great alternative beach activity!

Early this AM, after my usual coffee and cinamon roll, I bundled up and did a little beach combing with a cold NE wind and heavy surf making things interesting.

It's the first time I had a chance to clear out debris since the snow storm.

After almost two hours of braving the elements=One hypo syringe (no needle!), three beer bottles (intact), lots of mono fishing line (no hooks) and bits of glass including a large broken beer mug with jagged edges and one beer can!

Thanks for you reply and kind words Friend,

CJ

Great shots! Looks cold.N/T
Posted by: WillyP
Date: December 26, 2009 07:37PM

Re: Great shots! Looks cold.
Date: December 26, 2009 08:12PM
Mid-20s when I took those shots with no wind to speak of!

As I write this it is 41F and blowing out of the NE at maybe 50-40MPH!

Hope things settle down tommorow so I can get out there!!

CJ

Great shots showing whats left to detect when it
Posted by: George-CT
Date: December 26, 2009 09:01PM
freezes up here in CT. Crazy weather huh. Cold a few days, then right up for a bit. We had a lot of snow up this way, but the drizzle and fog is doing a number on it. I can see dirt again on the driveway. Bet that don't last long before its white again. Now that all this holiday stuff is out of the way, I hope to make it to the shore after the next storm. Good hunting in 2010.

Geo-CT

Re: Great shots showing whats left to detect when it
Date: December 27, 2009 06:16AM
Good hunting to you too George!!

CJ

Date: December 27, 2009 10:07AM
As per usual I checked the "on line" weather report this AM before my morning walk on the beach.

Current 17 Knot winds out of the W/SW, 52F temp and rain were enough to put a damper on my morning, but I know that sometimes the reports are wrong and/or things can change fairly quickly along the shore.

After my morning coffee and C. roll I donned foul weather gear and started my walk into an E/SE wind (?) at about 20Knots and a light drizzle!

Since I hadn't been able to walk the Western end of "my beach" yesterday I started out in that direction this AM.

The snow is nearly all gone after the overnight rain and warmer temps. exposing lots of trash for removal.

At the extreme west end of the beach I discovered that someone had removed the lobster pot I wrote about in a past post.

There was no sign that it had ever been there and at first I thought it was buried, but there hadn't been enough sand movement to cover it.

One of life's mysteries!

I decided to make a complete job of it and covered the entire beach picking up several pieces of aluminum cans and bottles along with the usual mono-line and plastic trash.

Near the eastern end of my beach combing the wind stopped for a short time and started blowing from the W/SW!!

Only a few hours off, otherwise not a bad forecast!

I found a syringe with a needle (covered) sitting high up on the wet sand where the waves had tossed it.

It's disturbing to say the least to find these things out there, but at least I can properly dispose of them.

By the time I got back to my van almost three hours had passed and I was starting to get damp from the rain and fog that was getting heavier.

The swells were still a little too rough for water hunting, but I will keep monitoring conditions while these temps are not severe just in case opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for reading!

Best to You All,

CJ

Will a storm also bare some areas?.................
Posted by: Wayne in BC
Date: December 27, 2009 12:19PM
Any cobbles below that sand?
Lovely beaches those are!

Re: Will a storm also bare some areas?.................
Date: December 27, 2009 09:03PM
The sand moves in and out covering and uncovering the cobbles where the good stuff hides.

There are a few spots where the hunting is not too bad now, but when the sand gets tossed back on the beach there will be much more exposed treasure.

It will happen sooner or later and all I have to do is be watchful and get out there when the time is right!!

Thanks for your reply Wayne and Happy New Year to you and your Lady!!

CJ

:usaflag: Dual Field Delight!! :detecting:
Date: December 14, 2009 05:43PM
Old Ma Nature finally gave us a break this afternoon with low tide and moderate temperatures, gentle breeze out of the south and equally gentle swells making the water easy to hunt.

After over four hours of hard digging I took home three 10K rings, two silver rings, a bus token and a Madona medal of heavy copper that was silver plated at one time and has the date 1830 on it!

Two of the rings are senior rings one from 1970 and the other 1935!

Just to keep things in perspective I'm showing every bit of metal that was dug to allow me to get the gold.

I hand held the little Fuji Camera and most of the shots turned out fine.

GL&HH Fellow Hunters,

CJ

Re: :usaflag: Dual Field Delight!! :detecting:N/T
Date: December 14, 2009 05:45PM

Well done Cupa.... Nothing like that up here for a while.. I would do the lakes, but the ice is so thick, you can walk 200 yards out from the shoreN/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: December 14, 2009 06:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login