Findmall.com

20th Century Tales Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Oh, the Irony of it!
Posted by: Whiskers
Date: May 29, 2009 12:16AM
I was out THing today at my favorite spot, hoping to find someone's lost valuables. Instead I lost my valuable hearing aid. Oh, the irony of it!

- Whiskers

Small Road Trip to RHode Island Tueday evening.
Posted by: George-CT
Date: August 06, 2009 10:27AM
This is a one hour ride up a place out in the woods in Rhode Island. Really a nice ride and we do it pretty much every Tuesday weather permitting. They have great Mushroom burgers and ice cream. They usually have around 250 bikes show up, often double that. From there there are 3 great rides you can take the same night to car shows, one at A&W Root Beer Stand in Greenville RI.
A lot of this ride is around a big lake. Really nice area for a ride. I grabbed a few shots of my buddy Andre and his new ride as we crossed on of the lakes there. My favorite section of the ride. I believe this is the water supply for Providence, RI and surrounding towns in RI. It makes a nice evening 100 mile loop. My ride is the red one. I have 22,000 miles on it and trouble free so far.

Just wanted to show you some on the back roads in RI, and also, RI uses concrete in this area for fence poles. I took a close up of one and also a longer show with the bikes. These things are pretty much forever. They run all over in this area and have been there as long as I can remember. Still look like new.

I'll put the bikes in the next post below this that were at Susie Q's.

Slow day here today so have time to post some pictures...

George-CT

Here are some of the bikes at Susie Q's
Date: August 06, 2009 10:49AM
Mostly and older crowd here. Lot of husband and wife riders with many of the women on their own rides. Just about every type of bike here at one time or another. Mostly just older folks hanging on to whats left of their youth. They now have the money to do this stuff, so they have some pretty nice bikes. Some of the mid range guys built up some custom stuff as you can see in the red one. Blower, the whole works. Fun to see what some of these old drag racers come up with. Most these bikes show up here around 6:00pm and are home in the barn by 9:00pm. They do a lot of benefit rides out of here for all kinds of reasons. Usually cancer, or for kids with problems or just someone down on their luck and need a little help. Most pay $25.00 to ride the event and usually afterwards there is some kind of BBQ, Chicken or pig roast. Good clean fun for all.

George-CT

Beautiful country and beautiful bikes Geo :clapping:N/T
Posted by: General Ray
Date: August 06, 2009 05:43PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Pretty country and that lake looks promising for fishing.N/T
Posted by: Paul (AR)
Date: August 06, 2009 07:24PM

Very nice George...N/T
Posted by: Mikie
Date: August 06, 2009 08:31PM

Very nice George!! Nice country. I love the last picture!!N/T
Posted by: Royal
Date: August 06, 2009 09:42PM

http://royalottmar.blogspot.com/
INCREDIMAIL TECH SUPPORT SUCKS. IT IS TERRIBLE AND DO NOT SIGN UP FOR INCREDIMAIL!!

George, that country is beautiful, so different than the country side down here in South Texas..............
Posted by: Kelley (Texas)
Date: August 06, 2009 09:58PM
How strong are those concrete fence poles? I have never seen concrete fence poles before...down here we usually use Cedar poles. Kelley (Texas) :)

George, I love that black colored trike in the third photo..............
Date: August 06, 2009 10:02PM
We are starting to see more of them down here in South Texas. Have you ever rode one? Do you ride them the same way as a bike? There are some good looking rides in those pictures. Kelley (Texas) :)

"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you!"

I've ridden them Fred. They are
Date: August 07, 2009 09:37AM
different than what your used to. What I miss the most is no lean in corners so it tends to move you towards the outside. Then tend to be a rougher ride, at least up this way with the pot holes and bumps from frost heaves on the blacktop. Instead of placing 2 wheels in a line, your placing 3 wheels, all on different paths so you hit more bumps/holes. AS for ride, it depends on if its factory build and by who, or custom build. The angle of the forks really make a difference in handling and tracking. some handle great, and some are scary at best. Best thing is to ride the one your interested in if it comes to that. They have a kits for the back, you can add on for around $3,800 bucks that work pretty well. Not hard to put on. But again, the rake on the front forks, makes all the difference in the world for handling. A fellow club member purchased a Victory trike that is put together by Lehman http://www.lehmantrikes.com/ yet the one he has he don't like the way it handles.... Most of the Honda guys seem very happy with them. Harleys, I've heard it both ways depending on what frame its on. One of the kits I see around a lot is this one. http://mtcvoyager.com/ Those seem to work out for many. I see them used on ebay also as some sells the bike but the other person don't want the training wheels.... I would try them on mine if I got to where balance was a consideration or bad leg or hip. If you have a Victory shop near you, they will or at least they do up here, let you ride one. There are a lot of husband and wife couples up there that the wife gained weight, as did the husband, and they move up to them and all seem to be very happy with them. Lots of room for storage, more comfort for the back rider. I would think the further you get from being a playful rider to just enjoying moving along the highway, the more one would enjoy one. My son Andy hates the road riding unless it is racing. I like swaying thru the corners on the back roads here with the floor boards touching from time to time still. That don't happen on a trike.
I guess kinda like a horse, you get into the rhythm of the animal/ride. Same on a 2 wheel bike. This is mostly twisties up this way on back roads. My daughter was used to Charleston, SC and straight flat roads... She is still getting used to the back roads here.

Some the Harley ones look nice also but I have not ridden one of those YET....

George-CT

Looks like a lot of fun, George. A pretty place to ride, and I don't
Posted by: Sunny
Date: August 07, 2009 07:16PM
care where you live, you can't beat an A&W rootbeer!! :)

George, thanks for the input............
Date: August 08, 2009 08:11AM
I am not too sure that I would ever want to own and ride one...a small, compact pickup truck might be a better option. Kelley (Texas) :)

Re: Small Road Trip to RHode Island Tueday evening.
Posted by: TexasCharley
Date: August 09, 2009 05:02PM
I never saw concrete fence posts, but out in western Kansas they have limestone fence posts. There weren't any trees out there, so they quarried limestone, bored holes through the blocks, & strung barbed wire on 'em.

Incidentally, one of our more noted--or notorious--Texas cattlemen was a native of Rhode Island--Abel Head Pierce, better known as Shanghai Pierce. He ranched on Matagorda Island, up the coast from Corpus Christi. Called his cattle 'sea lions.' The name 'Matagorda' is 'politically incorrect' if you translate it literally. It translates 'kill the fat woman.'

There are lots of Rattlesnakes on Matagorda Island.............
Date: August 09, 2009 07:27PM
I have never seen either a concrete or limestone fence post...wonder how strong they would be? Also, somewhere on one of the coastal islands, may be Padre Island, the Singer Family of the sewing machine fame hid a treasure that folks claim has never been found. Kelley (Texas) :)

Re: Small Road Trip to RHode Island Tueday evening.
Posted by: TexasCharley
Date: August 10, 2009 12:07PM
That's on Padre. When Texas seceded in '61 anybody who didn't sympathize with secession was very uncomfortable. The Singers were from up north someplace, but they had a ranch on Padre. Supposedly they buried a chest containing $50,000 in gold coins at their ranch site before they left. When they came back the storms & wind had changed the place so much they couldn't find the ranch site, much less the gold.

There's lots of stuff on Padre, but I personally doubt the Singer story. If you go down below Big Shell to a place called Money Hill you'll often find silver reales--'pieces of eight'--in the sand. There's a Spanish shipwreck off there & the coins wash up from time to time. There are so many shipwrecks off Padre that it's almost impossible to count 'em. The Spanish in particular never learned to dope out the hurricane season. There are at least 9 shipwrecks at the mouth of the San Bernard, up the coast from Padre, that have been found & partly to completely excavated, including what was probably a pirate ship. That's just a drop in the bucket. The whole Texas coast, from Orange to Brownsville, is littered with 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, & 20th century shipwrecks.

I understand most of the limestone fence posts in Kansas date from the late 1800s/early 1900s. They were still standing in '99, when I went to Rapid City SD for a WWA convention. I drove solo--something I'm not ever gonna do again--& followed back roads through Oklahoma, Kansas, & Nebraska. Found Big Spring, Nebraska--it's not even on most maps--where Sam Bass was in on the only big-take train robbery of his career. Also passed through the Pine Ridge area in northwestern Nebraska. Absolutely beautiful--broken hills, lots of timber. Reminded me of parts of east Texas or northern Georgia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login