Findmall.com

Global Positioning System (GPS) Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Did I do okay?
Posted by: gsmith
Date: November 10, 2012 11:15AM
Was looking for my 1st hand-held and found a Garmin Dakota 10 with topo bundle at Dick's sporting goods for $129.00...got it home and opened the battery case...they left the batteries in it and the battery connections are corroded...no biggie...easy to clean off...I think I got a good deal?

Greg
Kansas

Re: Did I do okay?
Posted by: Andrew Kalinowski
Date: November 11, 2012 08:28AM
IMHO you did very well.

Andrew Kalinowski

Posted by: gsmith
Date: November 11, 2012 05:47PM
Thank-you Andrew....was really looking for a etrex 10 but I noticed this...hadn't researched the Dakota's very much just enough to know that was probably a good deal!....now to figure it out so it will be use full with my MD....

Greg
Kansas

Date: November 11, 2012 06:42PM
In Dakota, you have plenty of features useful for MDing. An accurate receiver, 1000 waypoint and 200 saved track capacity and If you are after more than coins and bling, make sure to explore custom maps ability of your receiver - may be useful in hunting locations based on old maps! http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps Yup, your $130 receiver can do things that... well, let me just say that MD manufacturers who wish to build in GPS capabilities into their machines should first look at one of these... ;)

Andrew Kalinowski

Re: Garmin Dakota & Oregon ?
Posted by: El
Date: June 14, 2013 01:03PM
Does the Garmin Oregon also have the custom map feature or is it only the Dakota?

With the custom map feature , is possible to take a 1917 topo and download it into the GPS?

Thanks, El

Re: Garmin Dakota & Oregon ?
Date: June 17, 2013 04:36PM
Both are custom map capable. See http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps for more info.

Andrew Kalinowski

Thank you.N/T
Date: June 18, 2013 12:22AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: fongu
Date: February 10, 2014 06:05PM
I'll make sure I check the battery connections when I buy my GPS. Glad you got a good deal.

Posted by: SirCupajo
Date: August 19, 2015 01:56PM
Andrew Kalinowski
IMHO you did very well.

What does IMHO stand for?

Life Goes By Fast, that's why
It's a common mistake to think "I will do it tomorrow"

Sir Cupajo

Date: August 19, 2015 02:06PM
in my humble opinion

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login