Findmall.com

Global Positioning System (GPS) Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Recommendation for a good handheld unit.
Posted by: rickinsdakota
Date: September 19, 2013 10:48AM
I have never had any experience with a GPS unit at all. So I am quite green at this. I notice most on line maps dating back to 100 years or more are pretty much spot on when they show a structure such as a old school, church etc. These on line maps will show the coordinates. What would be a recommendation for a good handheld unit. I would like to put those coordinates into the unit and then be able to walk to that location even though there is no visable sign remaining of it.

Re: Recommendation for a good handheld unit.
Posted by: Andrew Kalinowski
Date: September 21, 2013 08:07AM
What you are asking about is a basic functionality of a GPS receiver. They all do that.well.
Question is; what constitutes a good receiver? This days they are all fast and accurate so we can set this requirement aside.
IMHO a good receiver will have a 3 axes electronic compass and ability to display maps and ability to be loaded with custom maps.
All these are featured in lower end units like Dakota 20 for under $300
Next is the screen size / resolution. Larger screen makes map reading easier but that comes with a bigger price tag.
All other functions are bells and whistles that you may or may not use.
HTH

Andrew Kalinowski

Date: September 21, 2013 09:18AM
I just noticed Cabelas has a Garmin Oregon 450 online for $150. That looks like a bargin.

Date: September 21, 2013 10:35AM
I just noticed Cabelas has a Garmin Oregon 450 online for $150. I see that the 550T is $110 more for $260. This looks like a very good price.

Date: September 21, 2013 11:25AM
rickinsdakota
I just noticed Cabelas has a Garmin Oregon 450 online for $150. I see that the 550T is $110 more for $260. This looks like a very good price.
Good deals on good receivers

Andrew Kalinowski

Posted by: martygene
Date: March 30, 2014 08:22AM
the last post was September of 2013 so could someone give me a update as to a good hand held GPS that can import old maps and use the GPS co-ordinates to find cellar holes, etc. and whatever other features that you experienced users know that we need for our detecting. I'd hate to spend a lot of money on one only to find that I missed one feature that I really could use.
Thanks

Date: March 30, 2014 09:49AM
From Garmin, Oregon and Montana models are still cutting edge receivers. Other manufacturers, I'm not sure - I haven't had time to keep up to date on everything.

Andrew Kalinowski

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login