Findmall.com

Global Positioning System (GPS) Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
GPS and Treasure Hunting
Posted by: landman
Date: April 10, 2009 06:28AM
Is it possible to hunt and track with a GPS. If I have an acre of land in a wooded hilly area. Is it possible to hunt 1/3 and keep track where you where, plot it and then come back to the site and continue the search hunting another 1/3 and plot that to a map and continue doing this till completely done searching a predetermined area? If so what equipment do I need? How accurate and percise can this system provide? Will I be able, just with the GPS, to find the exact spot and begin again within 1 ft. 5 ft or 30ft. from where I left off?

3 foot probe
Shovel
DRS Ground Exper Pro

Re: GPS and Treasure Hunting
Posted by: JOE in MD
Date: April 11, 2009 04:49PM
I use mine (Garmin 60CSx ) all the time to track my path, then come home and print the track map out for future reference. You can mark way points and start the next time exactly where you left off. I even mark way points on my targets that way I know where a concentration of targets are.
JOE in MD

Posted by: landman
Date: April 11, 2009 07:35PM
Thank you Joe.

3 foot probe
Shovel
DRS Ground Exper Pro

Posted by: edjcox
Date: May 17, 2009 09:45PM
Get a hand held Magellan or Go to Delorme and luck at their hand held. The units will allow you to track yourself very closely (withing a meter or so) and lay down ad trail that can be offloaded and printed. The delorme units come with built in US Topo maps and cn have imagery of the area you are in as well. That way you will be able to discern the terrain before you go as well as look for landmarks etc. With a handheld you are able toknow pretty precisley were you are were you'v been and how to get back to a pot if you mark it as a ground point in the unit.

Posted by: OregonRon
Date: June 18, 2014 09:37PM
Have an older " GARMIN etrex Legend H ", an ad recently stated that one could input the locations of both active / inactive Gold mines using their software. This would be a great help in location finding as well as warning of claim- jumping. GPS " dumb "..... Thanks !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login