Findmall.com

Tesoro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: The ACe 250 and the Silver uMax
Posted by: LoneCatDaddy
Date: September 15, 2009 02:08PM
For a newbie, I always recommend an Ace. Easy to use, and set in the Coin mode, she won't be digging a lot of junk. Just be sure to have the coil wire snug on the lower shaft or the coil will pick it up and false sometimes. Be sure to back the Sens. down to 4 bars too. The displays on most any machine will only give a probability of what the target is and seeing as how a copper penny and a clad dime have a mostly copper content, there can be times when a dime reads as a copper penny and a copper penny reads as a dime. And as for the Belltone on the 250, I love it, it's the Sound of Money or a silver ring. Be sure to get a set of 'phones with a Volume Control, it is loud with just plain 'phones on. Somebody posted that an F2 might be an alternative also. I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie. With it's 4 tones and variations thereof, it sounds like a circus caliope and would be pretty baffling for someone just starting. I bought one of the first ones out, used it a few times and now it sits behind the closet door.....but that's another story. I have a Fisher ID Edge (pre First Texas) that is a great little TID machine for most any situation, so I am not totally adverse to Fishers. I love my Tesoros too for certain dig-it-all situations, but for a pure coinshooter, the 250 will serve her well at a very reasonable price. But all of that is just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions!!

Posted by: LINDABONITA
Date: September 15, 2009 02:12PM
I have an ace 250 and a Compadre. The Ace 250 is an excellent machine for the money. The only bad thing about it, that I don't like, is the recovery time.
It seems that it was made for slow walkers or old people. Tesoros are fast with respect to recovery.

Detectors, TID screens and YOU...
Posted by: dahut
Date: September 15, 2009 03:18PM
ds6191
How accurate is the screen at telling you what's under the ground? She is looking for a coin shooter and I told her that the silver was one of the best. She wants, "a screen so she doesn't dig any junk" her words. Should she look into the ace 250? Thanks, Dan

Actually, if that is her performance standard, she probably needs to look at another hobby.

I have tried many high end detectors and none of them are 100% accurate - a screen full of information does not guarantee that. Sorry, but there it is.
Many of the big dollar detectors are very good at identifying targets, mind you. But most all of them require experience to discern what they are telling you with any certainty. Someone else here said that TID detectors are only "target range identifiers," that is, they can qualify the range of conductivity a target falls into. They are right! :)

The Ace 250 is precisely that, an inexpensive target range identifier. It hardly offers information like the Prizm series does - and is no less accurate for it's simplicity. Some would say it is better, in fact, because it doesn't pretend to be deadly accurate.

I wonder how she will feel when she learns that 80% of all gold jewelry - the stuff that really pays - mimics either trash targets, or the lowly U.S. nickel.

David...... "DETECTO, ERGO SUM"

BLOG: "Key Thoughts" UPDATED WEEKLY

Whatever you do, do it with enthusiasm. At least ACT like you mean it.

"Life is tough; it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 03:21PM by dahut.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: September 15, 2009 04:08PM
ds6191
Thanks slingshot, I will pass that info on to her. I think I should tell her that part of the fun is the surprise when you dig something and it turns out to be something better than you thought it was going to be. Older coins,silver rings, GOLD! Although I still haven't found the gold yet,that will be a surprise after all the pull-tabs I have found. Thanks again, Dan
You're right on. Ask her how much fun Christmas would be if you knew what each present was before you opened it. Also, I have found that planning a picnic or any other similar activity SHE'S interested in alongside the detecting makes it more of a FUN family activity.

Posted by: trueblue
Date: September 15, 2009 06:55PM
ds6191
I'm curious trueblue, What points is the ace 250 better then the silver?

Ok Dan , without being long winded an borin ya to tears , I had an Ace 250 also a Silver Umax and have since parted with both I dont reget parting with the Silver but I sure do wish I had'a held onto the Ace ....for a start tones verse's beep now I know the Tesoro beep has alota subtle nuances not as easy to hear or learn as some would lead ya to belive but hey you know as much as you own a Silver ...the tones on the Ace easy enough to discern all ya need is ears ..... As for modes notching an all the rest handy stuff but I never used any of it , I hunted in all metal with the Ace and found it be very accurate tid an tones are usually on the money depth nearly allways off actual , the belltone hated by many ...I loved it also yeah as one member put it "the sound of $$ " I agree ,...As for PP'n yeah I read all the posts of how bad the Ace was but I never had any probs never used the PP button just x marks the spot ..
For example I got a paddock I hunt thats just riddled with tabs now I hate diggin tabs as much as the next bloke and this is where the ace leaves the silver for dead in my humble opinion and was just a pleasure to use not a chore like the Silver ya only choices are hav'n to thumb the disc on every taget or disc tabs out and loose all targets below ..on the ace just hunt in AM and use the tones 2 easy .....Another area I hunt the Ace is prettywell useless the joints riddled with melt'd alloy slag in every size an shape ya can imagine , no hope of pullin coins out with the ace here its belltone crazy on this site ,,,yet the silver can find the goodies juz by runn'n high disc an thumbin it ya pull $ 1 & 2 coins no probs sure you'll dig some slag an junk ...dont ya allways but this type a site aint nearly as common as ya standart tab mine field ..
I also found the Ace to be deeper than the silver in my test garden its as deep as my Tejon not as acurate at Id'n deep targets as the disc on the Tejon but atleast it can find'em the Silver couldnt ..
I reckon ya should get ya sister to try'em out see if ya can get a loan of an Ace an a Silver ....I needed a bita cash a mate was interested in a detector so he try'd the the Silver & Ace I had and after usin the ace then pickin up Silver he just hadda have the Ace ..I was hopin twould be the other way round ... good luck for Sis

Posted by: tab-nabit
Date: September 15, 2009 07:56PM
Some interesting replies. I have both machines among others and I see both pros and cons. Personal preference comes into play with me sometimes. Some days I want a TID display and some days I don't. Although among my machines that do have the TID display, I don't depend on the TID for the digging decision. It can be nice to have at times for certain conditions for certain applications so it has it's place. So folks who must have the display, I see nothing wrong with that. We all don't have the same vehicle. Although I have other TID machines (Explorer-II, F-75, Spectra V-3, Cortes, etc), I have always been an audio kind of guy. So can can get along just as happy on days with a non-TID machine.
The ACE does have loads of features for the price and can be effective (look at Garrett section), and the Silver can be effective for it's features (No TID, single tone etc). So both can get goods out of the dirt, well with the use of the operator swinging it.
Audio - Since I'm an audio kind for my 1st indication, I prefer the Silver audio over the ACE bell tone. I'll admit that the digital bell tone is not really my cup of tea. The analog audio of the silver has it's quality feature to me.
TID - I can use it or not use it, but audio goes first for me.
Discrimination - The ACE has it in range steps (12 notches I guess you can say) and the Silver has it non-stepped via disc knob (variable no stepped ranges).
Between the 2 machines at this moment, I have no intention of letting go of either, although between the 2 I'll almost always grab the Silver as first choice. I'll swing the ACE once in awhile but it's been mostly a loaner. I originally bought it for the wife but she didn't get into swinging a detector, although she will dig targets for me. So the ACE has been used by me a couple times and as a loaner a few times. I prefer the 4.5 sniper coil when I do use it - for my type of hunting. On the Silver, I like the simplicity, audio, recovery response.
So although I have some high end TID machines, I also have a like for non-TID machines. I find stuff with both types and I like to have both types.
This year I been mostly using the Spectra V-3 (Vision) because it's new for one thing, interesting, I have a lot to learn, like the wireless headphone system, but last Friday I did a short hunt using the Compadre taking the Silver as backup. I can find things I like about each of my detectors, and since there is a choice available, I like to have some choice for my preference whenever I go detecting, and my preference changes. Sometimes it's me, may be the type of hunting, may be the soil conditions etc. And when I go, I have to choose between my 4 vehicles - although I have taken one of the motorcycles at times, breaking down the detector and fitting it in one of a half dozen large sissy bar bags.

Posted by: SkiWhiz
Date: September 15, 2009 08:23PM
Reading all these post could/does persuade a person (unfortunately). A few years ago I bought a new Ace, sure looked good different than the rest nice bright yellow (I like yellow). Put it together, fairly decently made, took it out for a test run.... Was I ever disapointed, bonk bonk bonk ding ding ding, didn't like belltone sounds. Recovery time is so slooooooow, and I am a slow swinger. Couldn't sell it fast enough. Time went by and I read a ton of comments/opinions,etc. on the Ace (like what I have been reading here with the Ace/Silver post) said to myself man it must be me not the detector since so many people like it so well so I ordered another new one. Put it together took it to the park, swung it for a good solid 5-10 minutes (decided it wasn't me it was the detector) couldn't get home fast enough to put it up for sale. Don't take this the wrong way as I know that this is just a Silver/Ace comparision post, it does get sickening reading so much hype about the Ace no matter what forum you go to. This is a Tesoro forum and the main reason for me comming here is to read/learn/ask & answer questions/about Tesoro products, if I wanted anything different I would go here http://www.findmall.com/list.php?32 Steve.

Before anyone gives me the devil, I want to say - I know this is a Tesoro forum and very seldom does it stray away & I hope it never does. My reason for the comments is because I am very active on another forum and about everyday there is a handfull of newbies join and ask the same old question - What detector should I get. Most say get the Ace get the Ace, this gets real old quick with me as I believe that Tesoro has made and still makes better detectors at the same or lower price than the Ace. And I believe that Tesoro deserves a shot because they make high quality machines and are backed by the best folks in the industry. And as long as I can I will promote them any chance I can.

Posted by: grumpyolman
Date: September 15, 2009 09:03PM
The only Tesoro I have is the Tiger Shark and I love it. I also have the Ace 250. I don't know if you can use different coils with the Umax or not. You certainly can with the Ace and I have used both the 4" in trash and the larger 6X9 in clean areas. Don't know but the capability of changing coils might be real factor...if you can't change coils with the Umax. Jim

Posted by: SkiWhiz
Date: September 15, 2009 09:10PM
grumpyolman
The only Tesoro I have is the Tiger Shark and I love it. I also have the Ace 250. I don't know if you can use different coils with the Umax or not. You certainly can with the Ace and I have used both the 4" in trash and the larger 6X9 in clean areas. Don't know but the capability of changing coils might be real factor...if you can't change coils with the Umax. Jim
You can use the 4" coil 5.75" coil 8"x9" coil 10"x12" coil and coils that were made for the Shadow X2 detector on the Silver and all the other ÁMAX detectors. Steve.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: September 15, 2009 11:34PM
It doesn't bother me that much, Steve. However, I bet that if I had the Golden umax I would be ALL Tesoro-I have the Royal Sabre, only the coil was broken and I have to use the 4" coil on it. I can just imagine that I would put my Ace for sale if I could afford one. With Mike's, David's, and others posts, it sounds like the perfect machine for me-a beep-dig machine with ID for my trashy sites that I've allocated to the Ace. Now I know I could get a larger coil for the Royal, but the ED-120 of the Golden,PLUS a/m mode WITH tones-heaven! Then you'd get sick of me talking every post about the Golden.:hot:

Posted by: Trackerman
Date: September 16, 2009 12:49AM
Both pretty good machines. But the Ace gives you a bit more info of what your diggen. The silver umax is a good machine. But is very simple and plain compared to the Ace. But for some reason some of my best finds have been with the Ace. Im talken jewlry and coins. Pinpointing and targetting kinda sucks on the Ace but its still a good machine because of the find factor. Frequency doesnt matter when it comes to the Ace ive seen some pretty amazing finds with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 12:49AM by Trackerman.

Date: September 16, 2009 04:53AM
SkiWhiz
Don't take this the wrong way as I know that this is just a Silver/Ace comparision post, it does get sickening reading so much hype about the Ace no matter what forum you go to. This is a Tesoro forum and the main reason for me comming here is to read/learn/ask & answer questions/about Tesoro products, if I wanted anything different I would go here http://www.findmall.com/list.php?32 Steve.

lol....sorry Steve but I gotta laugh.... not atcha juz bout this thread its a classic mines better ... an I aint giv'n ya the devil :thumbup: but ya just plain'ol hate the Ace and thats ok ...
Yeah agreed people do read this stuff an yeah it sways there decisions no dout about that , done it myself all the hype generated round the Compadre mainly put out there in the past " I write this with the greatest respect an no ill intent " by Tabdog ...Im sure TD wouldnt mind me say'n this ...I enjoyed all his posts mainly centred around his times with the Compadre , an I still enjoy'em over on Tesoro's Board ....Yeah its a great lil detector but its the operator swing'n it thats bloody good at what hes doin " Tabdog digs it all no wonder the fantastic jewelery finds Tabdog & the Comparde a match made in heavin .....I brought one as did many others impressed by TD's posts ...wasnt 4 me jus as the Ace dont suit some nor does the Silver....Its a good to see the differing opinions given here seems a pretty fair match so far both good detectors just gotta find one suits ya best .. I dunno whats the better if there is a better infact or just different ... but my preference is 4 the yellafella and yeah I miss the Silver a liltle :thumbup:........Baz

Date: September 16, 2009 05:08AM
SkiWhiz
Reading all these post could/does persuade a person (unfortunately). A few years ago I bought a new Ace, sure looked good different than the rest nice bright yellow (I like yellow). Put it together, fairly decently made, took it out for a test run.... Was I ever disapointed, bonk bonk bonk ding ding ding, didn't like belltone sounds. Recovery time is so slooooooow, and I am a slow swinger. Couldn't sell it fast enough. Time went by and I read a ton of comments/opinions,etc. on the Ace (like what I have been reading here with the Ace/Silver post) said to myself man it must be me not the detector since so many people like it so well so I ordered another new one. Put it together took it to the park, swung it for a good solid 5-10 minutes (decided it wasn't me it was the detector) couldn't get home fast enough to put it up for sale. Don't take this the wrong way as I know that this is just a Silver/Ace comparision post, it does get sickening reading so much hype about the Ace no matter what forum you go to. This is a Tesoro forum and the main reason for me comming here is to read/learn/ask & answer questions/about Tesoro products, if I wanted anything different I would go here http://www.findmall.com/list.php?32 Steve.

Before anyone gives me the devil, I want to say - I know this is a Tesoro forum and very seldom does it stray away & I hope it never does. My reason for the comments is because I am very active on another forum and about everyday there is a handfull of newbies join and ask the same old question - What detector should I get. Most say get the Ace get the Ace, this gets real old quick with me as I believe that Tesoro has made and still makes better detectors at the same or lower price than the Ace. And I believe that Tesoro deserves a shot because they make high quality machines and are backed by the best folks in the industry. And as long as I can I will promote them any chance I can.
Im with you. I try lots of detectors, mostly cause my pal goes through em like socks. I also have owned detectors from every maker and still do - right now I have a Fisher F70, 1236X2, Tesoro Golden, Vaquero Tiger Shark. And I like the Garrett concept, escpecially the GTP 1350. As for the Ace, I would say it is rough. If you like it, then all I can say is "Whatever floats your boat."
But I quit grabbing for it, a long time ago.

bit off the subject but hey !
Date: September 16, 2009 05:24AM
by the way this brings back an ugly response I got over on Minelab section quite a while back ...I used to spend hrs readin up all I could and study all the reports by user's on the xterra 70 on this board an others ......well I started findin quite a few posts with unhappy user's state'n that they were havin trouble with the battery compartments and controil box's on the xterra's ie: detector freezing on start up and some freezing fullstop having to be returned for new control box's ...ya need to strech the springs in the batt compartment ect ...seemed like every board I visited had several members dissapointed with there xterra's for these reason's ...Now I got nothin against Minelab hey Im an Aussie an its an Aussie company as ya know but thats beside the point anyway ...what happened was I repled to a post where a member was complain'n about his xterra freezing up and not working on occasion he wanted to know if any others experiencing the same ......Well I aint got nor have I ever had an xterra so maybe I should not have made a comment ...but I did ...I just stated what I 'd read on on quite a few other forums of users havn same type of dramas with the xterras ....No harm in that I though ...I was wrong ...A Finds Stormtrooper Moderator on the Minelab section deleted my post and gave me a severe reprimand via PM .....do it again and ya BANNED :ranting:
And here I was thinking finds is a democratic forum .. ...it aint by a longshot :thumbdown:
hehe wheres Tabdog :blink:

Off the subject, yet relevant!
Date: September 16, 2009 08:40AM
No forum is unbiased. THey are not democracies, or Utopian societies. Many can be eclectic: this Tesoro forum and the Garrett forum moderated by Bill Revis are two examples that are. They don't feel threatened by the mention of other products - this particular thread is a good example of that.

But any moderated forum will reflect the moderator(s)themselves. It even extends to the mention of other forums. For example, attempts to make a link at findmall to another internet forum will get you a message stating your post contains rejected words or phrases. This is because this is a sponsored forum, so there is protection built in for those who pay the bills. They pay for your enjoyment, so they make the rules, as it were.
That severe moderation extends to less-than-positive, personal observations on a product reflects the moderator, more than anything. You can't please all the people all the time, and some are bound to have negative objections to even the best of things. But most dedicated forums are fellow enthusiasts, "preaching to the choir." THEY dont need convincing, so mod's could spend some time handling such ssues more constructively, "in-house."
They might even build some good will that way, and perhaps make another convert. "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar," after all.

That undesirables are simply eliminated or banned is utterly up the those in control. Sadly, in their zeal to "keep things in order," censors often overlook a simple fact: you can go to a more open forum and voice the same observations they don't like to hear - usually to a much larger audience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 08:51AM by dahut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login