Findmall.com

Tesoro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Beginner needs tips about selecting detector
Posted by: fowlercharles
Date: February 04, 2012 10:38PM
Hi Cathy, and welcome to detecting! Marcus gave you fair warning, so beware,when the "fever" sets in, there is only a "tempoary"cure you will always be in need of. I've dug in Ice, sand, rain,heat and cold,crawled into places I never dreamed of going,and all for that temporary cure.Fever Returns! Nuff said! Great advice the folks are giving you, so keep at it and learn all you can. There is plenty you need to learn, and much of it is Very important. Not only for your enjoyment but also so that enjoyment won't be hindered by bad experiences. They are a factor and you will need to be aware.Common sense usually solves many of those situations before they develop. There are laws pertaining greatly to the Hobby and you will need to protect yourself from being in error about them.Volumes to be learned about metal detectors and the hobby,so be cool and do not become over anxious as is the case with many beginners.that allow unnessary dissapointments to cause loss of interest. Refuse to go there and you will do well! If you haven't already , order Tesoro's MDI book, or download it. It will answer many questions and of course cause you to come here and ask some more. That works! One last thing I don't recall seing answered was a question about mineralization. In particular, remember that SALT is(one of many) a mineral, and the amount of salt in Sea water is enough to render most ALL, or thereabouts, metal detectors of whatever make, model or price just about useless in some degrees or other. Those not specifically designed to adapt/compensate to the Salt minerals will be limited/hindered in some way or other soon as they "approach" the Wet sand or sea water. Nuff said for now,Hang in and do your research. Research, LOL, that's another subject you will need to embrace, especially if you and your husband are History Minded. That's where the real Goodies are found. HH, Charlie

Posted by: pkrska
Date: February 05, 2012 10:12AM
As a newby also, I have just one real important lesson I have learned. Location, location, location. If you think that you'll find something in any location, that's true. Garbage is found everywhere. But if you're looking for treasure or old relics, then location is the most important part. Do your research to find old historic areas where people might have congregated at one time in the old days.

Good luck

Tesoro Compadre

Posted by: sandtrout
Date: February 05, 2012 11:30AM
I'm going to disagree with some here (don't mean to offend anybody) and say that you need a Garrett Propointer. Once you dig a target and crumble it in your hands (over a small towel so you can put it ALL back in the hole and leave no mess) to find the item you'll realize that you could've have just dug the exact area in that clod without destroying the whole clod.

If you're digging relics you'll need a trowel. For starters you can them tham at Lowes or Home Depot for around $12 like an AMES 7 in 1 that has teeth on one side. If you get serious consider the Leche.

If you're hunting parks for rings and coins ($$$$) then get into YOUTUBE and type in COIN POPPING. Most stuff will be less than 6" (all my rings have been at 3" or less) and a screwdriver makes MUCH LESS mess! My wife is magical with a screwdriver.

Keep your good finds in a separate place and only show your junk or torn up pennies, never your good stuff...."did you find my ring yet?"

They're both GREAT DETECTORS in the right hands. You'll know a lot more at first by 1. spending 100 hours on it and you'll REALLY learn it by DIGGING EVERYTHING (at first, anyway). Also, get out there and hunt...a lot. Your coil has to be over the target before you can dig it.

I'd get the Compadre and let it buy you the Silver with coils if you get the addiction. You'll know when it's time to upgrade....it will be when the finds from the Compadre are saved until you have enough for your next detector. I started with an ACE 250 and it bought me the Garrett Propointer, sniper coil, and a Tesoro Vaquero. My Vaquero just bought me a GLoomis rod for fishing.

Question about using screwdriver
Posted by: ccclontz
Date: February 05, 2012 01:55PM
Do you just poke it in the ground until it hits something in the target area or are you immediately digging dirt with the screwdriver like digging a hole? I am going to UTUBE now.Cathy

Posted by: :Left4Dead
Date: February 05, 2012 02:36PM
Only one issue with coin poping , you will damage coins if your not carefull. Silver is so soft , scratching stuff stinks. Some use a brass tipped popper, softer metal won't make it as bad.

Mike

Current--
Tesoro Cibola/ Tesoro Compadre.
Detectors used-- / Ace250, Tecnetics Delta 4000, Bounty Hunter quick draw./ Use Garrett pro pointer
/Digging with - Lesche hand tool, little Sampson
/Oldest coin 1887 IH ,Rings 11, Silver rings 4, 1 gold .

Location. Farmington MN

Posted by: ccclontz
Date: March 03, 2012 09:08AM
How do I know what the mineralisation is? I would probably be at the NC or SC coast except perhaps Jacksonville Fl if I get to visit my aunt sometime. We usually go to Oak Island NC,Ocean Isle NC, Carolina Beach NC occasionally Myrtle Beach SC. It doesnt look red, I would say mostly white sand with a little black in it. I have seen whiter beaches.

Posted by: allcav
Date: March 05, 2012 10:03AM
ccclontz
How do I know what the mineralisation is? I would probably be at the NC or SC coast except perhaps Jacksonville Fl if I get to visit my aunt sometime. We usually go to Oak Island NC,Ocean Isle NC, Carolina Beach NC occasionally Myrtle Beach SC. It doesnt look red, I would say mostly white sand with a little black in it. I have seen whiter beaches.

Typicaly all the areas you mentioned are all low minerals.

Robert Martensen
tesorosupport@hotmail.com
928-771-2646

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login