Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: did the GB mod on my Cibola WOW!
Posted by: nebdirtturner
Date: October 30, 2013 12:50PM
Hatpin, supposedly the Cibola and Vaquero are the same machine just the V has the manual GB from the factory. In my opinion never having swung a V, I can say that I am extremely happy with the performance of the Cibola with manual GB and for the price of $25 there would be no reason I would pay more for one. On a side note I just (literaly) got off the phone with Rusty from Tesoro talk about a nice guy, he explained the new warranty system they went to at Tesoro and how it would affect second owners such as myself and explained the background reasons why they went the direction they did. We got to talking about the Cibola and Tejon depth differences and how the Tejon does not supertune like the Cibola and the V. He stated that supertuning in discrimination mode should get you around a 25% increase in depth without EMI issues and that the Tejon is the deepest they make. When I did my air test on the nickle after the GB mod and hit 12.5" I can't remember if I did it in supertune or regular so I may fool around and check that tonight just to see. He also stated the disc pots are 100K so I have a finalized answer to that question. So off to Mouser to order some new pots for the triple disc project.

I think I will set the primary pot to a nickle, secondary at zinc and third at copper as the other thread pointed out. I will have great depth with more disc than the Tejon all for under $300 (used detector). I will post more as things get finalized if you are interested.

On an side note I detected at a 1885 house yesterday and the machine ran great, I hit a signal that maxed out my disc, when I raised the coil I could only go about an inch above the ground before it completely disappeared. It was solid and repeatable from all angles so I began digging. I ended up digging 20" and never found it, it was still in the hole, I figured big iron so I took my probe screwdriver with a 12" shaft and shoved it down to the handle at the bottom of the hole and never hit anything. I searched the walls and ran my pinpointer up and down all the sides multiple times thinking I was off on my pinpoiting but it was right in the middle and I never got anything from the sides not even a single beep. My Garrett PP hits on my Lesche from about 3" or so so I know it couldn't be in the walls ( I checked the PP numerous times to make sure it wasn't detuned). I will have to go back and bring the big shovel just to satisfy my curiosity.

Posted by: BillF
Date: October 30, 2013 05:27PM
So haven't heard about second ownership warranty issues. Hasn't been that long since I talked to Rusty and he didn't say anything, that was after sending in a second hand machine(they fixed it free).
What's the scoop?

Posted by: dan b
Date: October 30, 2013 07:55PM
Yes I would like to hear this too.

Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: October 31, 2013 08:13AM
In many if not all detector manufactures they spin off many different models from one basic platform. If the company takes out a jumper that takes out a function then it can be a different model, if they add something to divide up the circuits to give the operator another control, then its a different model. So, with one circuit board a company could build a dozen or more different models (if they so choose to do so)
There is one company (not Tesoro) that is "believed" to use ONE circuit board,
One control housing and makes probably ten or more detector models out of them, then they went even farther, they did spin offs of them under a different brands!

But. I think we need to keep it mind that its not the $8.00 pot, or the $11.00 switch that's charged for really, its the design technology and each one (function) that can be separated and marketed is a way to make money. So, they add, open, or unlock a feature. Also, some people just want simple,
Some want more control.
In the end a company has to make money and they need to also have a product line that is adaptive to the different demand needs of the market.

So, in a way it makes sense from a marketing standpoint to get as much market coverage out of their products as possible within reason and some companies are batter at staying within reason than others! Tesoro seems to be doing very well at this with there products and their product line (being reasonable).

Mark

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: October 31, 2013 08:41AM
Tesoro will not work on any unit that has been modded so kiss the warranty and Tesoro's excellent service after the sale goodbye.
Just something to think about before you open the control box....

Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: October 31, 2013 08:50AM
Dan-Pa.
Tesoro will not work on any unit that has been modded so kiss the warranty and Tesoro's excellent service after the sale goodbye.
Just something to think about before you open the control box....

Dan, I was thinking the same thing.

Mark

Avatar, Me and my two brothers from left to right!

WV62 - MarkCZ - Still Looking 52

Date: October 31, 2013 11:05AM
I will expand on the warranty changes. Dan PA and Mark, you may have heard incorrectly. I will explain what Rusty told me about this warranty change that happened in the last month or so. I was completely upfront and told him what I was going to do with my detector before I asked him what the resistance was for the Disc pot. Rusty went on to explain that if you are the first owner of the detector you get all warranty work for free and that my mod would void that warranty. I told him that it didn't matter as I was the second owner. He stated that they will still work on mine as a second owner but I would have to pay $50 and if the work needed was more than that I would have to pay for any additional work needed (and the $50 is non refundable to cover shipping and labor). He also stated that even if I modded the detector and was the second owner I could still pay the $50 and they would work on it, but they would return it to stock configuration. Any first owner machine that comes in goes to a different room and those machines are worked on first over any second /third owner machines. Rusty explained that Tesoro is trying to make they lifetime warranty program even better by doing this. It also will keep people from buying a used machine that is broken at a garage sale for $10, sending it in for free repairs, then selling it for several hundred, Tesoro is paying a lot of money for the repairs and are getting used machines in the hands of people that could be buying a new one.

I hope this answers some questions and dispels any rumors.

Date: October 31, 2013 11:26AM
I would have no problem paying the $50 to get my used machines serviced by Tesoro. I wonder if they will update the website to explain all that?

Dan

Date: October 31, 2013 12:47PM
Dan the $50 might not be the final bill, it would all depend on what needs to be repaired to get it back to the original condition. If the repirs and shipping back to the second owner exceeds the $50 "deposit" they would call you to authorize any repair that will cost you more.

Date: October 31, 2013 01:17PM
That sounds fair. Maybe if they starting making some money in the service side of the business they can put it toward R&D for a new machine! :clap:

Dan

Posted by: Rainyday101
Date: October 31, 2013 05:08PM
I am fine with that also. As stated you should not be able to buy a used detector at a garage sale that is inoperative and expect to get it repaired for free so you can profit on it. You see used detectors on that big auction site that aren't much less than a new one and you don't get the lifetime warranty. In most cases buying new for not much more is a better option.

When it comes to modding, used and cheap is the way to go.

Sounds fair to me.
Posted by: Sven
Date: October 31, 2013 05:31PM
I always thought Tesoros warranty was over generous in all aspects.
Maybe now they will have some extra cash to use for some new model, hire an engineer, etc.

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Posted by: RAYMOND INGRAHAM
Date: February 03, 2016 07:31PM
Love My GB Modified Cibola,one thing you need after the mod....Lesche shovel !!!

Re: Because..........
Posted by: RAYMOND INGRAHAM
Date: February 03, 2016 07:43PM
the V's ground balance Sucks,3/3/4 [cheap] cermet control ) turn with no stop,,Hey Tesoro Folks,take the cibola,put a ten turn bournes pot where the pp button is and a toggle to swich from disc to all metal(then u can use it as a true all metal machine) Make it A Limited Edition ( Cibola EX ) (XTRA DEPTH EDITION ) ADD 100.00 DOLLARS TO THE ORIGINAL PRICE (THEN YOU WILL MAKE EVEN MORE PROFIT) company made ,i would gladly pay 466.00
and im sure a lot of people would pay that ,in due time it would become a BEST SELLER !!!
You have a Great Machine just begging to let loose
raymond ingraham
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1669582276614729/

Re: Because..........
Posted by: Sven
Date: February 04, 2016 07:40AM
Cheap ($1) pot..LOL

Yeah at one point they used a real ($15.00) Cermet 3 3/4 turn pot.

Best alternative is the 10 turn wire wound

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login