Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Got a question for experienced Tesoro users
Posted by: Bigtom123
Date: December 11, 2016 06:53PM
Lets say your running a cibola or a vaquero,,with a 5.75 widescan coil ,,in a part of town that's 150 years old and always used for festivals,houses once stood there too...Here's my thing,there's lots and lots of old junk and modern junk,and coins too.But they are heavily masked.
So,if I were to run one of the two mentioned machines with that little coil,if I cranked up the disc to nickel would I lose a lot of depth?

I once had a vaquero,and it set in the closet because I just was never sure I was ground balancing it right.Thats why I'm leaning toward a cibola...I'm not new to metal detecting at all,nut I'm leaning toward getting a few Tesoro's,possibly a silver and a cibola..Any helpful info is appreciated.

Re: Got a question for experienced Tesoro users
Posted by: pinenut
Date: December 11, 2016 07:05PM
Cibola and Vaquero are both OK in trash, as long as you're using a small concentric. Cibola is best in spots that aren't highly mineralized, like manicured park areas. Vaquero better in changing soil conditions, and if you like to change coils. My pick for trash though, is the Outlaw. It runs quieter in trash, especially iron like nails or bottleccaps. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it. ^_^

one more wheatie..

Posted by: slingshot
Date: December 11, 2016 07:15PM
You lose a little depth with Tesoros. I like the founder, Jack's suggestion- if you' re gonna set it that way, set it to where the nickel just breaks up. Same with tab discrimination.

Posted by: Bigtom123
Date: December 11, 2016 09:04PM
Thanks for the info, and I will look into the outlaw.Saw a few nice deals on the outlaw with 3 coils I think.
Its winter setting in now, so I'm just trying to pur something in motion. For the spring.

Posted by: jld66
Date: December 11, 2016 11:31PM
Well, from what you said, if you had a vaquero that sat in a closet because you were not sure if you were ground balancing it right. You will struggle with an outlaw also. It has manual GB too. Sorry but, it is pretty darn easy to ground balance a detector. There are basic instructions in the owners manual and if those, for some reason, are hard to understand for you. There are youtube videos that show you also. Combine the manual GB and the retune button on the outlaw, it may not be the machine for you either. The silver or even a compadre would probably suit you better.

Date: December 12, 2016 12:32AM
jld66
Well, from what you said, if you had a vaquero that sat in a closet because you were not sure if you were ground balancing it right. You will struggle with an outlaw also. It has manual GB too. Sorry but, it is pretty darn easy to ground balance a detector. There are basic instructions in the owners manual and if those, for some reason, are hard to understand for you. There are youtube videos that show you also. Combine the manual GB and the retune button on the outlaw, it may not be the machine for you either. The silver or even a compadre would probably suit you better.

The retune button is no big deal; just push the button in again with coil lifted, or quickly toggle from disc to all-metal then back to disc and it'll retune to normal threshold. Takes a whole second. GB is easy to learn. Hardest part is finding a clean spot of ground to set it... A "power balance" will get you even closer to where the GB should be set, and it's easy to learn too.
If you're smart enough to register on this forum and make a post, then you're able to GB a Tesoro. That said, the easiest manual GB Tesoro I have, is one modified with a 10 turn GB pot. I can get that one right on the edge, and still fine tune it either direction with a push of my thumb when needed. I think the only reason Tesoro ditched the 10 turn for the 3-3/4, was 'cause the 10 is too big to comfortably fit in the μMAX housing.

one more wheatie..

Posted by: jld66
Date: December 12, 2016 05:32AM
pinenut
jld66

The retune button is no big deal; just push the button in again with coil lifted, or quickly toggle from disc to all-metal then back to disc and it'll retune to normal threshold. Takes a whole second. GB is easy to learn. Hardest part is finding a clean spot of ground to set it... A "power balance" will get you even closer to where the GB should be set, and it's easy to learn too.
If you're smart enough to register on this forum and make a post, then you're able to GB a Tesoro. That said, the easiest manual GB Tesoro I have, is one modified with a 10 turn GB pot. I can get that one right on the edge, and still fine tune it either direction with a push of my thumb when needed. I think the only reason Tesoro ditched the 10 turn for the 3-3/4, was 'cause the 10 is too big to comfortably fit in the μMAX housing.
I know, right. When pumping the coil as its lowering, if tone get louder, GB needs to be lowered. Tone lowers or goes silent, GB needs to be turned up. Like operating a radio's volume knob. Can't hear it, turn it up. Loud, turn it down. Pretty basic stuff. I never held a detector before I got a vaquero and have no problems with GBing. Not to be a jerk, but just can't see why or how people struggle with it. Like you basically said, if you can't operate a computer, you can GB a detector.

Posted by: fltacoma
Date: December 12, 2016 08:46AM
Honestly, I had the same problem and I put my vaquero in the closet for a while, until I found out how to accurately ground balance. That's how I found a three ringer 13+ inches in the ground. It's well worth doing it. The Cibola is the lazy man's vaquero lol

Posted by: Mega
Date: December 12, 2016 09:00AM
Having the ability to manual GB is far better than a fixed GB,on my UK Vaquero called a Laser Trident 2 Extreme it comes with both manual and fixed which on the normal Vaquero its only manual,it only takes seconds anyway and just makes a detector get the maximum performance out of it.

Deus and Nexus MP and a few others.

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: Miser67
Date: December 12, 2016 07:54PM
Manual ground balance is essential in mineralized ground. In low mineralization soil I have not found it so important. Just my experience.

As always, any post I make here is solely my opinion based on my own experience and knowledge. Feel free to disagree.

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: December 12, 2016 09:54PM
Yep!
Miser67
Manual ground balance is essential in mineralized ground. In low mineralization soil I have not found it so important. Just my experience.

Posted by: BarberBill
Date: December 15, 2016 11:18AM
Ground balancing is relatively easy, think of turing a radio. If the sound increases as the coil approaches the ground, turn the knob back a bit. If it disappears, turn the knob up a bit. Once you're close, fine tune by tweaking until the sound is relatively even.
BB

North Idaho - A bunch of Tesoros, 3 Whites, Gray Ghosts, Sunray probe
If you don't dig it, you'll never know!

Posted by: Stoof-tabsallday
Date: December 15, 2016 01:13PM
BarberBill
Ground balancing is relatively easy, think of turing a radio. If the sound increases as the coil approaches the ground, turn the knob back a bit. If it disappears, turn the knob up a bit. Once you're close, fine tune by tweaking until the sound is relatively even.
BB
I agree. And it's doesn't have to be perfect. As close as you can get it is usually better than preset detectors come from the factories.
I don't really go crazy while balancing it. If it sounds steady up and down I'm good.

Stefan (Michigan)

Nokta Fors Relic 7x11", 5.5x10"DD, 5", 5.5x10 Concentric

Makro Racer 2 - 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD

:tesoro: Mojave
:tesoro: Deleon - Troy shadow super 7",
:tesoro: Compadre 8
:tesoro: Compadre 5.75
:tesoro: Bandido II Micromax
:tesoro: Outlaw
:tesoro: Cibola- GB/all metal toggle mod
:tesoro: Vaquero
:tesoro: Cutlass Micromax 8

Lots of coils

*Not listed in any special order*

Tools:
Garrett carrot, lesche shovel, Killer B Wasps, my bare hands

Posted by: fltacoma
Date: December 15, 2016 05:46PM
I know that for the Vaquero, if you go slightly negative on the ground balance, then it will go a little deeper!

Date: December 15, 2016 06:55PM
fltacoma
I know that for the Vaquero, if you go slightly negative on the ground balance, then it will go a little deeper!

Try Monte's "power balance" technique, which is to ground balance in disc mode. You can get closer to maximum depth that way. ^_^

one more wheatie..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login