Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Got a question for experienced Tesoro users
Posted by: pan4au
Date: December 15, 2016 08:04PM
just a thought..If you like the cibola.. you might want to buy a used one and do the ground balance mod.. I modded mine and very happy with it..

Tn. TH'er
Minelab Explorer SE
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher 1270
Fisher 1266X
Fisher F75 SE
Teknetics T2
Garrett Freedom II Plus
Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer
Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer

Posted by: Stoof-tabsallday
Date: December 16, 2016 09:45AM
Just be careful.
I also modded mine.
Can completely ruin the detector to the point that Tesoro can't fix it.
But for a cost they will always make it stock again if you send it in and didn't totally break anything...

Stefan (Michigan)

Nokta Fors Relic 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD
Makro Racer 2 - 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD
:tesoro: Deleon-Troy shadow super 7",
:tesoro: Compadre 8" stock,
:tesoro: Compadre 5.75" stock,
:tesoro: Bandido II Ųmax 4", 5.75", 7", 8" concentrics
:tesoro: Outlaw w/ 3 coil pack,
:tesoro: Cibola- GB/toggle mod 9X8",
:tesoro: Vaquero 9x8 stock
:tesoro: Cutlass Umax 8" donut

Moved on:
:garrett: ACE 350 stock, sold to a friend interested in the hobby.

Posted by: Bigtom123
Date: December 16, 2016 03:41PM
Haven't bought a tesoro yet,I have the funds but just rereading everything over and over.I appreciated all the help.
I like dd coils ,, i just find them great..I was ready to pull the trigger on a new vaquero when I got a pm from a member telling me the new dd coils that come on the v are junk.
Now I'm not so sure which way to go.
But you guys have all been a great deal of help,and that's greatly appreciated.

Posted by: pinenut
Date: December 16, 2016 04:50PM
Bigtom123
Haven't bought a tesoro yet,I have the funds but just rereading everything over and over.I appreciated all the help.
I like dd coils ,, i just find them great..I was ready to pull the trigger on a new vaquero when I got a pm from a member telling me the new dd coils that come on the v are junk.
Now I'm not so sure which way to go.
But you guys have all been a great deal of help,and that's greatly appreciated.

Tesoro's DD (widescan) coils are not junk, but on most Tesoros, your discrimination will work better with their concentrics. I would still choose their newest 11x8 DD over the 9x8 concentric though... The 9x8 concentric works well, but weighs a bit more than the classic 8" donut and with all the spokes it has, the 9x8 tends to get caught more on twigs and such. The 11x8 DD (widescan) is very well made, light, sensitive and has good depth. It's a a good coil, but being a DD, discrimination won't be as clean as with a concentric...

SO... My choice on a new (or used) Vaquero would be to get it with the 11x8 DD, but only use it in places without too much trash, when you want good coverage and depth. I'd then want either (preferably both) the 8" donut and/or the 5.75" concentric to use in moderate and heavy trash... I don't know what sort of soil you have or how trashy your spots are, but the 8" donut and 5.75" concentric are my two favorite Tesoro coils. ^_^

Dirty Old Digger

Date: December 16, 2016 05:53PM
I live in western Pennsylvania, Just outside of Pittsburgh.. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on v or cibola...One more question, if I run the disc to dime, will it have a broken signal if trash is near the dime?

Date: December 16, 2016 06:11PM
Bigtom123
I live in western Pennsylvania, Just outside of Pittsburgh.. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on v or cibola...One more question, if I run the disc to dime, will it have a broken signal if trash is near the dime?

Possibly, yes. Especially with iron trash around and when using a DD coil. Do a youtube search for "Tesoro nailboard test". You'll see how concentrics will do better at unmasking targets in iron (nails) trash than DD coils do, at least on Tesoros.

Dirty Old Digger

Date: December 16, 2016 09:10PM
Well, I bought a new black vaquero with the new dd coil from a sponsor, showmetreasure.Can't wait to get it..thanks again everyone

Date: December 16, 2016 09:14PM
Bigtom123
Well, I bought a new black vaquero with the new dd coil from a sponsor, showmetreasure.Can't wait to get it..thanks again everyone

A good Tesoro. If you plan on hunting some trashy spots, you owe it to yourself to get the 5.75" concentric coil... ^_^

Dirty Old Digger

Posted by: amberjack
Date: December 17, 2016 04:15AM
reading forums to decide what detector to buy should come with a warning (may make your head explode) :stars:

have fun with the V :biggrin:

AJ

Berkut-5
Explorer SE
Etrac
MX5
Gold Racer
Compadre 7" Concentric
Compadre 7" Widescan
Silver µMax
Outlaw
Compadre coil change out mod+sens
F19
CTX3030
Cibola

Upside Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeB5sDealI

World Turned Upside Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAsuNtEuZxI

Ghost Story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XXX3dnlVc

"Long Live The Chief" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_AQFnqMY3E

More coils than any sane person would need.

Machines are not in order of preference !! I can't read big blocks of writing , so the enter key is a good tool.

I share my experience of my detecting both the good and not so good both on and off the field, not here to keep everyone happy, just share my experience! if it helps someone that's great, if not that's great too--- so take what you need and leave the rest !

Date: December 17, 2016 12:34PM
amberjack
reading forums to decide what detector to buy should come with a warning (may make your head explode) :stars:

have fun with the V :biggrin:

AJ

Yup. Everyone has their opinions, and they can change from day to day... :crazy:

Seriously, the Vaquero is a very capable all-around land detector with good depth. Was once upon a time my favorite Tesoro.

Dirty Old Digger

Date: December 17, 2016 04:28PM
I've watched a lot of videos, read a lot of posts.I opted for the vaquero over the cibola just for the GB.I figured even if its not spot on by my doing at least it'll be closer than a preset.
I have a etrac now.Kinda slow and sluggish, good coin machine but I want versatility. To go from the woods to stepping in the tot lot, I'm after whatever I can get.And meters are getting old, I spend too much time over thinking it.set the disc and just dig sounds good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 04:33PM by Bigtom123.

Posted by: Oldguy
Date: January 03, 2017 02:38PM
I have not noticed any depth loss with increased discrimination settings on my Tejon. There is a significant loss of depth between even minimum discrimination and all metal modes though. I have had good success in high trash areas using a NEL Sharpshooter coil with the primary discriminator set above screw cap. The secret is your headphones. High end headphones made for metal detectors have a faster response and will hit harder on those masked targets.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: January 05, 2017 08:35AM
I agree if on a dig it all mission screens are a waste of time , but they sure have a place or 98% of detectors made today are not being bought :shrug:

have fun with the new toy :biggrin:

AJ

Berkut-5
Explorer SE
Etrac
MX5
Gold Racer
Compadre 7" Concentric
Compadre 7" Widescan
Silver µMax
Outlaw
Compadre coil change out mod+sens
F19
CTX3030
Cibola

Upside Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeB5sDealI

World Turned Upside Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAsuNtEuZxI

Ghost Story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XXX3dnlVc

"Long Live The Chief" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_AQFnqMY3E

More coils than any sane person would need.

Machines are not in order of preference !! I can't read big blocks of writing , so the enter key is a good tool.

I share my experience of my detecting both the good and not so good both on and off the field, not here to keep everyone happy, just share my experience! if it helps someone that's great, if not that's great too--- so take what you need and leave the rest !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login