Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Not happy about the Cortes or Outlaw...
Posted by: fltacoma
Date: December 23, 2016 09:02PM
Well as some of you know, I received the Outlaw, and the Cortes in the mail today, only that there is a problem with both detectors. On the outlaw, when I flip the switch to the all metal mode, it just screams and there is no way to calm it down, not even with the threshold setting turned all the way down. Am I missing something here?

For the Cortes, I read the manual but it won't pick up any metals unless it is within 1/2 inch from the coil, and it sounds as if it's extremely negatively balanced and will only make a sound when it's moving away from the coil. Also the detector will reset itself after 5-7 sweeps of the object (I have tried iron, and a Morgan dollar), and it will only read iron on whatever I sweep above the coil with the two objects noted above. Has anyone else had this problem?

On the Outlaw...
Posted by: pinenut
Date: December 23, 2016 09:32PM
Tesoro recommends you turn it on in disc. mode. Have you tried firing up the Outlaw in AUTO or DISC ? Do that, then try to ground balance it. All-metal is a non-motion all-metal but auto is a self retuning all-metal, like on most other Tesoros.

A wheatie a day keeps boredom at bay.

Re: Not happy about the Cortes or Outlaw...
Posted by: BarberBill
Date: December 23, 2016 10:13PM
I assume that you've double checked all the connections, the batteries etc. Several times I've had detectors go beserk when the batteries dropped to low. I bought a used BmaxII with turned out to have an extremely easy to turn GB knob and if it won't pick up squat if it gets turned way out of whack. Might try known good coils as well, just to be sure its not a coil issue.
BB

North Idaho - A bunch of Tesoros, 3 Whites, Gray Ghosts, Sunray probe
If you don't dig it, you'll never know!

Date: December 24, 2016 09:58AM
I will try the possible cures later today. If not, then off to the factory they go.

It seems like the screw that holds the control housing for the Cortes might have been messed with, but the box was sealed from the factory. Did I get a factory second?

Date: December 24, 2016 01:03PM
Ground balancing the outlaw in the all metal mode solved the problem, only to find out that the 12x10 coil has way too much feedback (tried it on the Outlaw, Silver umax, Bandido II umax, and Silver Sabre) and will need to get sent in for diagnostics. Both the 5.75 and 8 had zero feedback and worked fine.

I tried the Cortes today outside for the second time, and keeps resetting.

The Deleon that I received also has a problem with the TID numbers cycling back and fourth in the backyard and while air testing it....so that makes it three out of three detectors having to go back to the factory. In my opinion (for whatever that is worth) this is completely unacceptable coming from Tesoro.

Posted by: WV62
Date: December 24, 2016 01:10PM
I just got ask are all these new or used detectors?

Wish I could help but all I have is Tejon so I know nothing about your detectors.

Good luck,

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Date: December 24, 2016 01:21PM
I think you'll like the Outlaw, once you get used to it. Lots of folks don't like the retune button 'cause it doesn't push itself in after use... :rolleyes: You need to push in retune again after using it to detune for pinpointing, and while the coil is a couple feet off the ground. Just takes a second, then you're ready to continue your hunt.

Besides the Bandido II microMAX, Outlaw is my most often grabbed Tesoro, and one of their very best in trashy ground. Wish I could go diggin' today, but we just got 6" snow and it's not stoppin'.

At least we'll have that white Xmas!

Date: December 24, 2016 01:38PM
The Deleon was a demo model and came with the warranty card. The Outlaw and Cortes are new factory sealed. Should I send in the outlaw control box with the 12x10? Or just the coil?

Posted by: walnut
Date: December 24, 2016 02:00PM
Just think though, you are going to have some personally tuned, especially good Tesoros. Not saying it is worth the trouble but I think they will be extra nice.

try that big coil again...
Date: December 24, 2016 02:00PM
fltacoma
The Deleon was a demo model and came with the warranty card. The Outlaw and Cortes are new factory sealed. Should I send in the outlaw control box with the 12x10? Or just the coil?

I think that first, you should try to ground balance it again with that big coil... Run sensitivity down low, set threshold a very low hum, then ground balance it in auto.

If it still gives trouble, contact Tesoro & they'll let you know what to send in. They usually want the coil and control box only, but they may just swap that big coil out, since it's new.

Sort of sad, but I haven't even tried my two biggest 5 pin coils; always hunting the more trashy spots.. Only coils I use are the 5.75 & 8 concentrics (which are great) but I have 4 others in 5 pin, just collecting dust.

Date: December 24, 2016 02:28PM
I'll do that and get back with you here shortly. By the way, the high here is supposed to be 71 degrees and rainy here in Shreveport...

Date: December 24, 2016 02:56PM
fltacoma
I'll do that and get back with you here shortly. By the way, the high here is supposed to be 71 degrees and rainy here in Shreveport...

Right at 30°F outside, still snowing. It's nice in front of the fire, but no detecting here for at least a few days. I'm at about 6000' in the SanEmigdio Mountains of Los Padres National Forest. :smoke:

Date: December 24, 2016 05:05PM
I tried what you said would work pinenut, but to no avail. I just broke down the Cortes, Deleon, and Outlaw for shipping back to Tesoro after Christmas. It's kind of depressing, plus I have five warranty cards to turn in lol. I bet they have the work cut out for them once they receive it.

Speaking of sending Tesoro's in, has anyone actually got back a brand new unit that was defective to the point that they couldn't fix it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 05:06PM by fltacoma.

Posted by: Welgund
Date: December 24, 2016 07:20PM
If it's under warranty in your name they will either fix it or replace it. Rusty is really good about that. I gave never has a problem with multiple detectors like your having though. Only tesoro I ever had to send in was one of my Eldorado micromax that needed the coil retuned. (Not yours pinenut though.lol. yours I never used cause it looked so damn good I bought another one to use instead lol

Date: December 24, 2016 07:48PM
Welgund
..Only tesoro I ever had to send in was one of my Eldorado micromax that needed the coil retuned. (Not yours pinenut though.lol. yours I never used cause it looked so damn good I bought another one to use instead lol

Funny; it's so pretty, I don't want to use it much either... I have another, slightly more used Eldorado to dirty up. :smoke:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login