Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
8x11 coil
Posted by: WV62
Date: January 05, 2017 09:09AM
I am wonder if I would gain any usable depth on my Tejon with the 8x11WS coil over the stock 9x8 concentric?

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Re: 8x11 coil
Posted by: fltacoma
Date: January 05, 2017 09:22AM
some have said 1-1.5", possibly 2". It all depends on the soil

Date: January 05, 2017 09:47AM
Thanks fltacoma,

That is not too bad, I have seen some in other brands that turn out to be almost the same as the stock coil.

I forgot to say I am a coin hunter, so would you think those numbers would hold up for coins?

Ron in WV

Posted by: David@RiverTeamSixDetectors
Date: January 05, 2017 09:11PM
Where it shines is the fast separation between targets.

River Team Six Metal Detectors
David@rt6detectors.com
http://www.rt6detectors.com
Findmall Forums Sponsor
Authorized Tesoro, Garrett, Minelab, White's, Fisher, Teknetics, Makro, Deteknix, DetectorPro, Detech, NEL Coils Dealer.

Date: January 05, 2017 10:16PM
Excellent target separation is one of the things I have noticed with the stock 9x8.

I just bought a used 11x8 and 5.75" concentric that was posted in the classified. It will be interesting to start testing the coils.

Ron in WV

Posted by: fltacoma
Date: January 06, 2017 12:38AM
Haha I was heavily thinking about buying that 11x8 coil. You would use it more than me, so congrats on the excellent buy!

Posted by: Mega
Date: January 06, 2017 02:39AM
I do own a brand new 11x8 coil on my Vaquero,if i am honest not used it for nearly 12 months and then only for about 1 hour,just could not 'gel' with it,but i do use the NEL Sharpshooter and just ordered a 5.75'' Concentric coil for the detector,mainly use the detectoron really trashy roman sites and also needed a small coil to get in between the stubble rows when the crops come off,alas the Deus smallest coil is the 9'' so although its good on trashy sites cannot get in between the stubble.

The 11x8 although has not had any use by myself is a very light coil for the size and does balance well on the Vaquero,wont part with the coil but may be used as a backup machine as i have always fancied a Lobo as they are pretty good as a hammered coin machine.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: Bleaver
Date: January 06, 2017 11:57AM
I found a smaller coil much better on Roman sites too. I used the 7 inch widescan. Back then they did not have the 5.75'' Concentric coil. I'd still go with the widescan over the concentric, better in iron.

LAND (6): Troy Shadow X5; Silver Sabre uMax 3D, Cutlass II uMax 3D, Tesoro Vaquero 3D
WATER (3): Fisher CZ-21 (2ea) , Tesoro Sandshark;

Mississippi

better in iron..? - I don't bleave it.
Posted by: pinenut
Date: January 06, 2017 11:38PM
Bleaver
... I'd still go with the widescan over the concentric, better in iron.

I think that's only true if you want to dig iron... On every one of my Tesoros, discrimination works better with the concentrics. That may not be the case with other brands, but it sure is with Tesoros.

one more wheatie..

Re: better in iron..? - I don't bleave it.
Date: January 07, 2017 07:39AM
pinenut
Bleaver
... I'd still go with the widescan over the concentric, better in iron.

I think that's only true if you want to dig iron... On every one of my Tesoros, discrimination works better with the concentrics. That may not be the case with other brands, but it sure is with Tesoros.

Same is true with the Fishers I have used.

Re: 11 x 8 coil
Date: January 07, 2017 07:56AM
I noticed that Tesoro is now offering up the Tejon with this 11x8WS coil as a stock coil or you can still get it with the 9x8 concentric.

I also was reading some reports that if you ever tried the 11x8 you would like it so well you may never take it off. So with reports like that are they talking about hunting coins or relics or both?

Ron in WV

Posted by: DigPan
Date: January 07, 2017 08:48AM
For me, the 8 X 11 is the best coil I have used on my Vaquero.

Re: 11 x 8 coil
Posted by: pinenut
Date: January 07, 2017 10:32AM
WV62
I noticed that Tesoro is now offering up the Tejon with this 11x8WS coil as a stock coil or you can still get it with the 9x8 concentric.

I also was reading some reports that if you ever tried the 11x8 you would like it so well you may never take it off. So with reports like that are they talking about hunting coins or relics or both?

Ron in WV

I think it depends on where you hunt as well as what for. I don't use anything but the small 5.75"c and 8" donuts in my trashiest spots, and even though I do like the 11x8 widescan 'cause it's nicely made, lightweight, sensitive and has good coverage, it still doesn't discriminate or unmask as well as the concentrics. It does fine on coins if you're running disc low anyway, and don't have nails and bottlecaps to deal with. It's a great all-around coil if you're not in trash, but where I like to play, trash abounds.

one more wheatie..

Date: January 07, 2017 10:53AM
Yep, I am starting to think trash is our next frontier. LOL

Ron in WV

Tesoro + Concentric coil = Best performance in iron littered sites.
Posted by: Monte
Date: January 09, 2017 03:50PM
I have evaluated, and have watched many others try, an assortment of Tesoro brand and after-market brand DD coils on several Tesoro models, and in side-by-side comparisons in iron infested conditions, NO DD coil has ever matched or beat a good Concentric coil.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact w/7" C., Impact w/5X9½ DD, Relic w/5" DD, Relic w/5½X10 C., Relic w/7X11 DD, CoRe w/'OOR' DD and CoRe w/7X11 DD
Tesoro:
Vaquero w/6" C., Bandido II µMAX w/6" C., Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" C. and Mojave w/7" C.

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta and Tesoro
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login