Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
ouch.N/T
Posted by: Bleaver
Date: January 09, 2017 03:53PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

LAND (6): Troy Shadow X5; Silver Sabre uMax 3D (2ea), Cutlass II uMax 3D, Tesoro Vaquero 3D (2ea)
WATER (3): Fisher CZ-21 (2ea) , Tesoro Sandshark;
Mississippi

I'm with you, pinenut, or you're with me ....
Posted by: Monte
Date: January 09, 2017 04:00PM
let's just hope we're not both working our 6" Concentric coil equipped Tesoro's at the same highly iron infested sites! Boy, that could be competition. :detecting:

pinenut
I think it depends on where you hunt as well as what for. I don't use anything but the small 5.75"c and 8" donuts in my trashiest spots, and even though I do like the 11x8 widescan 'cause it's nicely made, lightweight, sensitive and has good coverage, it still doesn't discriminate or unmask as well as the concentrics. It does fine on coins if you're running disc low anyway, and don't have nails and bottlecaps to deal with. It's a great all-around coil if you're not in trash, but where I like to play, trash abounds.
I agree about the design and build quality, and reasonable weight of Tesoro's 8X11 DD coil, but I know I won't own one. I have tried them on a few units, but the places I hunt .... when using a Tesoro model and based on how Tesoro circuitry works .... the 6" Concentric coil is the #1 coil I keep mounted on any of my Tesoro models, and I only have one 8" as a 'spare' should I want to use it some time.

The majority of my detecting is spent hunting in and amongst a lot of metal debris, especially ferrous junk, and the DD's, regardless of size, do not match the performance of the 6", or even 8" or 8X9, Concentric coils.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
~ Trading Post ~

A place to share fond memories of old alkali desert favorite sites in Utah, Nevada, and Eastern Oregon and other detecting travels. To rendezvous with fellow detectorists and trade experiences from our metal detecting adventures, opinions on a variety of old and new detectors, share detecting techniques, and discuss potential hunt sites.

Regular-Use Detector Team:
Nokta: Impact, 2 FORS Relic's and FORS CoRe Tesoro: Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Bandido, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave

Back-Up and Specialty Use Team:
Models from Compass, Makro, and Nokta
Note: All detectors above are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use.

Pinpointers:
Using both Nokta and Makro Pointers.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com
(503) 481-8147

mountain camps...
Posted by: pinenut
Date: January 09, 2017 07:33PM
Monte
let's just hope we're not both working our 6" Concentric coil equipped Tesoro's at the same highly iron infested sites! Boy, that could be competition. :detecting:

Monte, I do mostly old camping and picnic spots in the San Emigdio mountains, well south of you. Ghost towns are also on my list but they're local ones, around the Kern county area.
I'd love to tag along with you to see what I could learn... I probably wouldn't be much competition for you though. :smile:

A wheatie a day keeps boredom at bay.

Re: 8x11 coil
Posted by: WV62
Date: January 11, 2017 10:07AM
Okay the 11x8 coil arrived and I am pleased with getting a good 1" more depth over the stock 9x8, now looking down the road.

Any body know how much depth I would gain with the 12x10 over the 11x8?

I am thinking of moving the Tejon into my main detector at least for first part of this coming season.

With add coils it would seem that this puppy will hunt.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: REVIER
Date: January 12, 2017 08:00AM
I don't have the 11x8 but from what I have read many report getting more depth than the standard 9x8 and most of the time matching the depth of the 12x10...running a bit smoother, too.
Not sure if you would gain a whole lot with the slightly bigger coil but in your particular soil...who knows?

"Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Vaquero, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, a piece of silver jewelry, 7 silver coins including a freaking Barber quarter!
Plus other cool stuff.

Posted by: WV62
Date: January 12, 2017 06:58PM
Revier,

That 11x8 coil took the Tejon up to the same depth as I get out of my other detector with the 11"DD coil and in boost mode. So I for sure took notice of that. Now I was kind of wondering if the 12x10 would put me over the top.

I will be interesting when the weather breaks and I can get the Tejon on some of my old sites and see if it will bring back some life to them.

I cut my teeth on beep and dig, and I had fun with the old machines.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: Nomad NJ
Date: January 14, 2017 07:58AM
The 11×8 is a great coil. For me much better than the 9×8.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login