Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Tesoro Mojave Test Drive
Posted by: Daddy
Date: April 24, 2017 08:05PM
Thanks for the reassurance, Whimp!
Whimpster
Daddy,

Pretty much sums up my experience with the Mojave to a tee....

Whimp,

Daddy
Sven
Daddy

Sven, did you happen to experience the falsing issue that others, including myself, seem to be experiencing? - Bill

Some when sens was turned up into the red zone, which I thought was normal chatter seeing this happens to other detectors I use when sens is jacked up.
I was hunting wet ground at first, didn't notice any falsing. That's why I was trying to figure out what you guys are talking about.
Then I have a question, anyone else notice any lag in pinpointing a target such as I posted?

During my two outings with the Mojave, I pretty much always used the preset sens. setting. Once in awhile, I would bump it up to 5, but not too often. The falsing would occur any time the detector experienced any kind of a bump. First thing I tried was lowering the sensitivity. When that didn't help, I checked to be sure that the battery was not loose in it's compartment. Also checked the coil connector to be sure that it was secure. Everything checked out to be a-okay. Finally, I decided to tap on the rod to see what would happen. When I did that, the falsing occurred. Every time I rapped on the rod, the detector would sound off. When I say "rap", I don't mean hit it hard. Just a little jostle like what would happen were the coil to hit a clump of grass or something while being swung. I baby my machines, and am never rough with them.

Never noticed any lag, but then again, I was more concerned about the falsing, and was concentrating more on that. I did however notice that junk targets seemed to pinpoint off center when changing my direction of approach by 90 degrees. My Sovereign did the same so I didn't really give it much thought.

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Posted by: Sven
Date: April 24, 2017 08:51PM
I found that I did not need to run the Sens into the red. The High position switch did help if running into the red to keep it a bit quieter.
Running into the red like many machines is considered working into the noise, if you can take the chatter9falsing) you'll get some more depth.

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Tesoro Mojave Test Drive
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: April 25, 2017 12:40AM
Sven,

I still find myself looking for a pinpoint switch/button as well. A pinpoint button or switch would perfect this little turn-on-and-go detector. Lag? Can't say I noticed any lag when pinpointing in motion mode, but I wasn't looking for it either. All of the detectors I've even had get chatty when the sensitivity/gain is run at or near max, so I must have missed the point of those comments. I do have some higher mineral areas that require the Ground Switch to be on HIGH to get the mojave to stop falsing. But, I think that's what it's suppose to do.

The mojave with the little 7" Precision coil did a respectable job going behind some very capable detectors and pulling some nice relics and an old wheatie at an old railroad home I've been hunting. I am headed out to some hard hit ghost towns in May and plan on giving the mojave some operation time to see how it does.

So far it is simple, quiet and effective. I like that.

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: April 25, 2017 04:14AM
Sven
I found that I did not need to run the Sens into the red. The High position switch did help if running into the red to keep it a bit quieter.
Running into the red like many machines is considered working into the noise, if you can take the chatter9falsing) you'll get some more depth.

I was just being my facetious self as people were saying it gets chatty in the red , the problem Tesoro made was making it only go up to 5 :buds: should have made it 500 :wave:

just a bit of fun I sure take this detecting stuff for what its worth digging crap outta the ground with the occasional goodie and that's how its meant to be a bit of fun :thumbup:

also for me picking the right tool for the job so I can maximize my fun but other than that its nothing to serious :crazy:

thanks for the reports one and all.

AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2017 04:15AM by amberjack.

Posted by: jld66
Date: April 25, 2017 04:52AM
walnut
Seems like if you already have a Vaquero and a Compadre there is not much reason to buy a Mojave.

Bring back the Golden series, that would suit me.
Exactly walnut. The saying "some people have more money than sense" comes to mind. Like when the black machines. Some ran out and bought them even though they already had a gray one because they looked good. I just bought the new coil a year later when the price dropped a bit, saved myself $350.00. Less than another $20, some fine sandpaper, decent masking tape, and a good can of spray paint. I could have a black machine also and $330 still in my pocket... lol. But, I do value Sven's rating though more than many others on here. At least his is realistic and honest. Would like to read one from Monte also.

Date: April 25, 2017 05:04AM
always better to have more money than sense :biggrin:

AJ

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: April 25, 2017 05:37AM
What great philosopher said that AJ--I forget?:cool:------I agree though---it just make cents to have more cents than cents!!!! :thumbup:-----Gotta go have my coffee now!:wave:
amberjack

AJ

Posted by: dan b
Date: April 25, 2017 07:18AM
Monte has said a lot about the Mojave. Check his website.

Current detectors:
:garrett: ATPro
Previously owned: :tesoro:, :garrett:, :fisher: , :teknetics:, :minelab:, and :whites:

Date: April 25, 2017 07:20AM
D&P-OR
What great philosopher said that AJ--I forget?:cool:------I agree though---it just make cents to have more cents than cents!!!! :thumbup:-----Gotta go have my coffee now!:wave:
amberjack

AJ

I have no idea but I am sure they had money :lmfao:

enjoy the coffee.

AJ

Posted by: Des D
Date: June 27, 2017 03:46PM
"Anyone have anything else to report on the perceived poor pin pointing with the 7" CC coil now that the detector has been out for several months now?"

Posted by: REVIER
Date: June 27, 2017 07:58PM
Mine pinpoints the same as my Compadre with the same size coil...dead on like a laser.
One of the newer ones though, only had it a few weeks.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 15 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and 4 V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 07:59PM by REVIER.

Posted by: Old California
Date: June 27, 2017 09:30PM
No pinpointing issues here, dead on with 7" coil.

Paul

AKA..Paul (Ca)

Whites GoldMaster BFO
Compass Klodike BFO
Bountyhunter BFO
FisherScope TR
Metrotech TR
Detectron TR
Rayscope TR
Mity Mite TR
Garrett BFO
D-Tex BFO
Goldak TR
Relco BFO
Jecto BFO
Teknetics
Roach TR

Posted by: Daddy
Date: June 27, 2017 09:35PM
Same here.

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Posted by: Electricfrontporch
Date: June 28, 2017 07:29AM
Me too.......pinpoints as well as any Tesoro I've used.

Posted by: Des D
Date: June 28, 2017 12:32PM
About 3 months ago there was some dissatisfaction expressed on the Dankowski site by a few guys whose Mojave's pin pointing was off... targets off to the side?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login