Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
bought a TIGER Shark, have questions..
Posted by: pinenut
Date: May 22, 2017 12:11AM
Hey folks.. I bought a Tiger Shark to play with and curious as to just how badly (or well) it'll do on California beaches. I know the Sand Shark is deeper and supposedly quieter running in salty stuff, but I kind of wanted discrimination so I won't be chasing after bobby pins a foot down.

Will the Tiger be OK on wet, low-tide sand?

one more wheatie..

Re: bought a TIGER Shark, have questions..
Posted by: pablo61
Date: May 22, 2017 06:55AM
You are going to get some chatter in the wet sand. You may have to drop your sensitivity way down, especially in the water. You may miss some small items because of it but larger rings shouldn't be an issue.

Posted by: Oldguy
Date: May 22, 2017 08:20AM
I've had my tiger Shark for three years now, overall I like it and would buy it again. It is difficult to ground balance in the black streaked wet salt sand of east coast beaches, but it is usable there. It runs a little better on the white sand beaches of the Caribbean and Mexico. I start out in normal mode, and only use salt mode if it won't ground balance in normal. The salt mode does seem to reduce it's performance some, but it is incredibly stable in normal mode and can often be used this way in wet salt sand. I run the discrimination between 1 and 3, it depends on conditions, you'll have to play with that setting yourself. I have never adjusted the sensitivity from the factory setting. It is an awesome machine in fresh water, where I use it the most. It does hit on small stuff and gold chains that PI and multi frequency machines will pass over. The only thing I would change if I had to buy it over again is I would have gone with the 10 inch coil rather than the 8 inch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 08:24AM by Oldguy.

Posted by: Tom Slick
Date: May 22, 2017 11:42PM
The Tiger Shark will do fine in the dry sand but only average in the wet. I love my Tiger Shark in the fresh water but not so much for salt water. The Makro Racer and Racer 2 are the best single frequency detectors I've used on the wet salt water beach sand but they still don't get the depth that the Minelab multi frequency detectors get in the wet.

Arizona
42 years detecting, ex White's dealer.
Current Detectors:
Nokta Impact
Makro Racer 2
Makro Gold Racer
White's DFX x 3
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Sovereign GT
Fisher F19

Date: May 23, 2017 07:00AM
Sorry, i meant discrimination, Inch it slightly up till stable. I get confused in my old age.

Posted by: pinenut
Date: May 23, 2017 05:41PM
Well, I got it today and it's a beauty for being used. Even came with the warranty card. Supposedly only a few hours on the detector. Seems to go fairly deep, even in disc. Just hits a 10" buried nickel in gravel and soil mixed; I'm impressed. I set it up with the belt mount bag to lighten up the swing, but guessing the 8" coil is weighted; it feels heaver than my land 8" donuts. Hoping it'll do "well enough" at my ocean beaches on the wet sand.. I'll see next week.

one more wheatie..

Date: May 23, 2017 09:15PM
That is really nice. It looks brand new. It will do fine in the wet sand, most of my issues occur in the water.

Posted by: Stoof-tabsallday
Date: May 24, 2017 11:33AM
Looks great bud!!!
Nice to get such a clean used unit!!
Happy hunting!!

Stefan (Michigan)

Nokta Fors Relic 7x11", 5.5x10"DD, 5", 5.5x10 Concentric

Makro Racer 2 - 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD

:tesoro: Mojave
:tesoro: Deleon - Troy shadow super 7",
:tesoro: Compadre 8
:tesoro: Compadre 5.75
:tesoro: Bandido II Micromax
:tesoro: Outlaw
:tesoro: Cibola- GB/all metal toggle mod
:tesoro: Vaquero
:tesoro: Cutlass Micromax 8

Lots of coils

*Not listed in any special order*

Tools:
Garrett carrot, lesche shovel, Killer B Wasps, my bare hands

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login