Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
10x5 elliptical or 11x8 RSD on Vaquero ?
Posted by: synthnut
Date: June 07, 2017 08:12AM
Hi guys ,
I've been out of detecting for a bit , but just recently bought a Vaquero that has a Widescan 5.75 on it for tot lots and such ....Nice coil , but I need a larger coil for the beach ( dry sand ) and basically general detecting in parks, schools , etc .....I saw some vid's on the 11 x 8 RSD coil and it looked like it separated really good, and had a very fast recovery speed .... There's not to much info on the 10 x 5 elliptical coil .....I was wondering if anyone has used both and can give me the skinny on both coils ? ....If not maybe give me the run down on either coil ....I'm looking for good separation and depth ...My understanding is the 11x8 is a pretty light weight coil also , which makes me lean toward it , but I don't want to rule out the 10x5 elliptical coil if it will go just as deep , and seperate just as well .... Thanks in advance and happy hunting !!.....Jim

Re: 10x5 elliptical or 11x8 RSD on Vaquero ?
Posted by: Frank in NH
Date: June 07, 2017 08:17AM
go with the 11 X 8'' RSD excellent coil.

Posted by: David@RiverTeamSixDetectors
Date: June 07, 2017 08:22AM
11x8 for sure. :thumbup:

River Team Six Metal Detectors
David@rt6detectors.com
http://www.rt6detectors.com
Findmall Forums Sponsor
Authorized Tesoro, Garrett, Minelab, White's, Fisher, Teknetics, Makro, Deteknix, DetectorPro, Detech, NEL Coils Dealer.

Posted by: Stoof-tabsallday
Date: June 07, 2017 11:42AM
If a choice between the 2 I guess the popular vote is the 11x8. It has alot of plusses. I have the 10x5 coil also but haven't worked with it much. It's my favorite shape coil on my other Turkish machines. Covers 10" of ground, but separates like a 5. Not as deep as the 11x8 either. But again I have them both for the different things they do.
If it's a choice between one or the other, I'd go with the 11x8 because you already have the 5.75 if you need separation.

Stefan (Michigan)

Nokta Fors Relic 7x11", 5.5x10"DD, 5", 5.5x10 Concentric

Makro Racer 2 - 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD

:tesoro: Mojave
:tesoro: Deleon - Troy shadow super 7",
:tesoro: Compadre 8
:tesoro: Compadre 5.75
:tesoro: Bandido II Micromax
:tesoro: Outlaw
:tesoro: Cibola- GB/all metal toggle mod
:tesoro: Vaquero
:tesoro: Cutlass Micromax 8

Lots of coils

*Not listed in any special order*

Tools:
Garrett carrot, lesche shovel, Killer B Wasps, my bare hands

Posted by: Mega
Date: June 07, 2017 12:31PM
My Trident11 Extreme which is the UK version of the Vaquero but on steroids came with the 11x8 coil and if i am honest the jury is still out about this coil,i much prefer a small NEL Sharpshooter coil instead or even the smaller NEL Snake coil for real trashy sites.But for its size its very lightweight the stock coil,just not 100% sure it performs all that well on some of my permissions.

Mainly use this detector for either really trashy roman sites or getting in between the stubble row when the crops come off,although it was brand new it will or never was going too be may main detector,more of a site specific use machine.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI Coiltek 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Date: June 07, 2017 05:00PM
Thanks for the replies guys ....What kind of depth can I expect from the 11x8 RSD on various coins ...I know it's a vague question with soil conditions and such .....Just looking for ballpark situations ....

Posted by: Welgund
Date: June 07, 2017 06:44PM
In my soil in Southwest Colorado that is really bad 3 to 4 bar on the FE meter of the F75, I have gotten silver dimes at 7 to 8 in with the 8 x 11 rsd. I got a buffalo at every bit of 10 in. With the Vaq and this coil. It is deep.

Date: June 07, 2017 11:32PM
Welgund,
Thanks for the info ....Doesn't sound too bad for the soil conditions that you have to contend with .....

I was pretty impressed with the recovery speed of the 11 x 8 RSD ..... Just wondering , are there any other coils that are somewhat light weight that will be a better choice for what I'm looking to do ? Basically what everyone wants ...A light coil that is larger to cover more ground with good separation and depth ..... As I said earlier , I have the 5.75 Widescan coil for surgical duties .....Thanks again ....Jim

Posted by: WV62
Date: June 08, 2017 07:17AM
synthnut
Thanks for the replies guys ....What kind of depth can I expect from the 11x8 RSD on various coins ...I know it's a vague question with soil conditions and such .....Just looking for ballpark situations ....

Air test on Vaquero with the 11x8 is getting 9.5" on a silver dime and 10" on a silver quarter.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in the Huntington West Virginia area all my life, retired 2010
US Air Force Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Date: June 08, 2017 02:15PM
I'm thinking that I can't do too badly with the 11x8 RSD .....Thanks for the info guys ....Jim

Posted by: Stoof-tabsallday
Date: June 13, 2017 11:38PM
Let's face it.... If any of you are as suck with this hobby as I am, whichever you choose you'll end up with the other. Haha
But hopefully it works and you fill us in on which you picked, and how it's working out!!

Stefan (Michigan)

Nokta Fors Relic 7x11", 5.5x10"DD, 5", 5.5x10 Concentric

Makro Racer 2 - 7x11", 5.5x10", 5" DD

:tesoro: Mojave
:tesoro: Deleon - Troy shadow super 7",
:tesoro: Compadre 8
:tesoro: Compadre 5.75
:tesoro: Bandido II Micromax
:tesoro: Outlaw
:tesoro: Cibola- GB/all metal toggle mod
:tesoro: Vaquero
:tesoro: Cutlass Micromax 8

Lots of coils

*Not listed in any special order*

Tools:
Garrett carrot, lesche shovel, Killer B Wasps, my bare hands

Posted by: REVIER
Date: June 14, 2017 05:01AM
Just something to consider if you do a lot of hunting in very trashy parks like I do.
In pop top infested parks I had no problems dealing with these hated things using my standard 9x8" concentric but when I got the 10x12" DD coil hunting in sites like this became problematic.
There are probably techniques that many use to deal with this type of thing, I know rimming works but that entails continually turning down the disc knob plus other ways might too but I never got real efficient at any of them and it all takes longer than my patience allows so I usually just dug them.
At first I was more of a dig it all kind of hunter but over the years that changed and I became much more choosy about what kinds of signals I wanted to spend my time and energy going after.
As such heavily infested parks were not much fun for me using DD's on my Vaq.
When I decided to get a sniper coil I made sure it was a concentric and it also was surprisingly deep and did very well for me in all kinds of situations so if I knew or suspected I was going to be dealing with these things I made sure I had a concentric mounted because using that type of coil 95-98% of these were a non issue...they just disced out or sounded wrong.

Also the Vaq is deep no matter what coil you have onboard.
Regarding the beach my very first gold ring I ever found was with my Vaq, in disc, using the standard concentric and this thing was tiny...and almost a foot deep in the dry sand.
Not less than 10" anyway...and a nice, solid signal.
Didn't have a scale at the time but I doubt that this thing weighed much more than a couple of grams.

I use both DD's and concentrics and have them for most of my detectors and I have found depending on site conditions and trash content my coil choice can make a big difference in whether I have a good time hunting or a frustrating one.

"What if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?”
F70, F2, Compadre, Mojave, Judge2 - 2017....Clad, 13 silver targets including a freaking Barber quarter, a beautiful walker and two V nickels...
Plus other cool stuff.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2017 05:15AM by REVIER.

Posted by: Sonnyd
Date: June 18, 2017 04:58PM
I only have the one coil for my Black Vaquero, the 11x8.... I Love it... but you really have to LOVE to dig, LOL. It really does go deep.....

Date: July 05, 2017 11:21AM
Thanks again guys ...Much appreciated ....Jim

Date: July 05, 2017 01:27PM
I was all set to purchase the 11x8 RSD coil for my Vaquero ......UNTIL .....I saw the nail board test on this coil ... I don't think I've seen a worse coil on a Tesoro doing the nail board test ..... If this is what it's like on a nail board test , how good can this coil be in any kind of trash ? ...... Granted , your now going to use a big coil like this in a park , but if you're on a beach , black sand and other trash near your target could surely affect whether or not you even hear a good target or not ....??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0THg5MgyI0&t=77s

I have to laugh when this guy narrates the video ....saying that it sounds pretty good ....What is he hearing that I'm not ? ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2017 01:31PM by synthnut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login