Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: 10x5 elliptical or 11x8 RSD on Vaquero ?
Posted by: pinenut
Date: July 05, 2017 03:52PM
synthnut
I was all set to purchase the 11x8 RSD coil for my Vaquero ......UNTIL .....I saw the nail board test on this coil ... I don't think I've seen a worse coil on a Tesoro doing the nail board test ..... If this is what it's like on a nail board test , how good can this coil be in any kind of trash ? ...... Granted , your now going to use a big coil like this in a park , but if you're on a beach , black sand and other trash near your target could surely affect whether or not you even hear a good target or not ....??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0THg5MgyI0&t=77s

I have to laugh when this guy narrates the video ....saying that it sounds pretty good ....What is he hearing that I'm not ? ......

With pretty much any Tesoro, nailboard tests are best passed with the small concentrics. DD's like the iron too much, even on Tesoros that do their best in small iron.
Nails and iron/steel bottlecaps? Use the 5.75 concentric, not the Widescan. Save the Widescans for either when ground minerals are very high, or when targets are few and you want to cover more area. I've never used the 10x5 so can't comment on it. I do occasionally run the 11x8 on both my 4 and 5 pin Tesoros, when targets are few and hot rocks abound. It's a nice coil; fairly light and sensitive, with good depth, especially on the 4 pins. I imagine that the 10x5 isn't going to be very deep on the Vaquero, as I see a big difference in depth between the two different 5.75 coils on my Vaquero...the concentric being a couple inches deeper.

one more wheatie..

Posted by: synthnut
Date: July 06, 2017 09:41PM
Pinenut,
Thanks for the reply .....I bought my Vaquero used and got it with a 5.75 Widescan on it ......I was pretty surprised how deep it goes , but have always read more threads on the concentric coil ..... Now I'm gonna have to get a 5.75 concentric to cure my thoughts on the two coils !!...LOL !!...... I really like the fact that the concentric is more surgical and seems like it can pull good targets out of trash easier .....

Perhaps I can still get away with the 11x8 for the beach as the beaches I hunt are not TOTALLY trashed out .....Most area's are pretty good with not a ton of trash ...... Are there any deep seeking coils that you would recommend for the beach that will go deeper and will be still light enough to swing all day ? ..... Sand is a lot easier than dirt to dig , so depth is the main concern here ..... but if I use the coil double duty and run it on dirt also, this would also be something to keep in mind ...Thanks again for your input .....Jim

Date: July 07, 2017 08:14AM
Jim, the only coil I've used on my Vaquero at the beach (dry sand) was the 5.75 Widescan, as that was what I had on my Vaquero at the time. Bottle caps and bigger nails are a problem with any Widescan I've used - caps don't disc out until you get to about where tabs also do, sometimes close to where zincs do!
For good depth and area coverage at the beach (in dry sand), I'd want to try the 11x8, but only if trash isn't bad...and you'll have to live with those bottle caps and nails. I haven't been to the beach with my Vaquero for a while now. Next time I do dry beach sand with my Vaquero, I'll take my11x8, keep disc low and just dig it all.
Have you tried the 9x8 concentric in dry sand? That should have decent depth and good discrimination, but it won't cover as well as the 11x8. I haven't tried Tesoro's 12x10 coils (neither Widescan nor concentric) which I imagine get great depth and coverage, but I'd guess that they're not nice to swing for long.
I think the 11x8 is probably the best compromise between depth, coverage and light weight. It's just not for heavy trash.

one more wheatie..

Posted by: synthnut
Date: July 07, 2017 11:04AM
As I said earler , the coil that came with my Vaquero used was the 5.75 Widescan .....That's the only coil I have for now .....I wonder what the 10 x 12 SEF coil would do on the Vaquero ? ...... It seems to be a pretty good coil on every other detector ...I'm building a Minelab Explorer SE for saltwater use ....I just got the 10 x 12 SEF for that detector ..... It's not done yet so I'm not sure how it will do, however it has good reports from other folks using it ...... Not sure how the same coil would do on the Tesoro ...????.....The price is right ....Jim

Date: July 07, 2017 11:35AM
It's still a DD coil so you have the same issues as with Tesoro's DD coils. If your're used to only the little 5.75 Widescan though, putting a concentric on it will pleasantly surprise you with improvements in disc and precise pinpointing.
I don't know how well the SEF coil will do, but if less $ than Tesoro's coils and not heavy, I'd be tempted to try one.

one more wheatie..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login