Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
My Bandido II Umax has gone bonkers!
Posted by: JEF
Date: July 09, 2017 11:59AM
It was working fine until I tried to turn it off. When I turned it off, it just kept on chirping and beeping. I tried several times and it would not turn off. I finally had to remove the battery to shut it off. Hopefully, it won't cost too much to fix it. This is my favorite of all my Tesoros, and they are getting a lot harder to find. I will call Rusty at Tesoro tomorrow to see if it can be repaired.

Corvallis, OR
Club: Beaver State Coinshooters

Current detectors:
Nokta Impact
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro High Tone Vaquero
Tesoro Mojave
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Re: My Bandido II Umax has gone bonkers!
Posted by: pinenut
Date: July 09, 2017 12:16PM
Bad / dirty switch, probably an easy fix.

one more wheatie..

I just replied on AHRPS to this.
Posted by: Monte
Date: July 09, 2017 12:18PM
Sad to hear it, but Tesoro will take care of it quickly. Box it up today, be at the Post Office first thing in the morning and mail it off Priority Mail. Be sure to include a note of what the issue is, and your name and return address and put your phone number in it as well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe (Using mainly the 'OOR', 5", 4X7½, 5X9½ open-frame DD's or 7" Concentric coils as needed. Other coils on-hand.)
Tesoro:
Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave (With either a 6" or 7" Concentric coil in use, or maybe 8X11 DD on the Vaquero.)

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Re: My Bandido II Umax has gone bonkers!
Posted by: Sven
Date: July 09, 2017 01:03PM
The on/off switch is part of the of the sensitivity pot. The switch is just mechanical in nature. Turn the switch portion on and the catch releases the spring so contact is made letting power thru.
Sounds like the switch portion is broke.

Here's a view of the backside of the pot with the cover removed of a similar pot. The switch portion with contact solder tabs is located at the top. The bottom is the pot wire solder tabs.
The pot switch combo cost $3 or a lot less.

On some Tesoro units the switch may never power on when turned, even if it you hear the pot click when turned on. This can be a simple fix of just bending one of the contact pins, as it probably is not making contact.

Both above issue can be the result of dirt getting in after many years. If you ever open up a control box, you may be surprised the amount of dirt and sand particles will be found, it get thru the edges of the face plate and control box.

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login