Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
A simple salute to the "Beep-Dig" machines...
Posted by: Skillet
Date: July 18, 2017 06:30AM
Been 'tectoring since the mid nineties.
During that time I've owned (and still own) a number of excellent TID machines,
but 'discovered' beep-dig machines in the form of a humble and homely Garrett Freedom Ace plus.

I was immediately impressed by the machine's quiet, unassuming performance capabilities, and its ability to cut a signal through aluminum junk and sniff out those dimes and quarters. Depth was no slouch either, deep test garden targets were no problem, and in stock trim it will bang a quarter 9" out in the air.

I have 3 of these FA+ machines now, each fitted with a different coil for different conditions. Be using one in Nov at a competition hunt in Round Rock.

Anyhow, din't mean to blather, just my take on the humble beep-dig "knobby" machine.

Skillet

Re: A simple salute to the "Beep-Dig" machines...
Posted by: Southwind
Date: July 18, 2017 06:55AM
A salute to those with the patients to "beep-N-dig"

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Posted by: JEF
Date: July 18, 2017 12:57PM
A salute to those with the patience to sort through and try and figure out dozens of menus, settings, options, programs, tones, etc., etc.. Been there and done that, and I prefer simple one tone detectors like my Tesoros. I would rather analyze the target myself, than rely on a display screen, which is often wrong, especially on deeper targets.

Corvallis, OR
Club: Beaver State Coinshooters

Current detectors:
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro High Tone Vaquero
Tesoro Mojave
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Whites MX7
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Date: July 18, 2017 01:33PM

I would rather analyze the target myself, than rely on a display screen, which is often wrong, especially on deeper targets.

Well, just as being good at analyzing that single tone is key to success for you, so is having a good target ID detector and knowing how to properly use it is key for use non-beep-N-dig hunters. Both are skills one must learn.

Posted by: nagant
Date: July 18, 2017 03:24PM
Southwind

I would rather analyze the target myself, than rely on a display screen, which is often wrong, especially on deeper targets.

Well, just as being good at analyzing that single tone is key to success for you, so is having a good target ID detector and knowing how to properly use it is key for use non-beep-N-dig hunters. Both are skills one must learn.
And where would we be without a good strong thumb:thumbup:

Posted by: dan b
Date: July 18, 2017 08:09PM
I started in 1990 with a Garrett Fredom Plus 2. It had the dual discrimination with a trigger. Sound familiar? Great detector. Took 3 9V batteries!

Current detectors:
:garrett: ATPro
Previously owned: :tesoro:, :garrett:, :fisher: , :teknetics:, :minelab:, and :whites:

Posted by: pinenut
Date: July 18, 2017 09:48PM
JEF
A salute to those with the patience to sort through and try and figure out dozens of menus, settings, options, programs, tones, etc., etc.. Been there and done that, and I prefer simple one tone detectors like my Tesoros. I would rather analyze the target myself, than rely on a display screen, which is often wrong, especially on deeper targets.

I think the same.. I can't imagine a TID machine being any quicker than my Bandido II ╬╝MAX is, at letting me know whether I want to dig or not. I guess it's just a matter of how comfortable you are with whatever detector you prefer. Maybe someday I'll play with something more modern.. Sort of doubt I'd find any more though.

one more wheatie..

Posted by: JEF
Date: July 19, 2017 12:41AM
My good finds actually increased when I started using simpler machines like my Tesoros. I was relying too much on the screen information to decide whether or not to dig, and the screen information was often inaccurate especially on deeper targets. I am really amazed at how accurate the discrimination is on my Tesoros, and by thumbing the discrimination knob I can usually tell pretty accurately what the target might be.

Corvallis, OR
Club: Beaver State Coinshooters

Current detectors:
Tesoro Bandido II Umax
Tesoro Outlaw
Tesoro High Tone Vaquero
Tesoro Mojave
Whites MX5
Whites MXT Pro
Whites MX7
Tesoro Sand Shark
Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Posted by: Daddy
Date: July 19, 2017 01:58AM
nagant
And where would we be without a good strong thumb:thumbup:[/quote]

:clapping:

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Posted by: oleterryg
Date: July 21, 2017 05:13PM
I've never owned a beep & dig machine, so that leads me to believe you guys are nuts. All I know is TID. From my experience with some of the TID machines I've bought and sold, if those were all that's available, I might could understand.
However!
The Tesoro Deleon is the perfect mix (imho) b&d and TID. Single tone, and very uncomplicated. Don't need no "save the settings".

I've been told by two reps at Tesoro that the DeLeon is their sleeper. One even said , as our conversation was touting the Deleon, "I don't understand why this isn't our best seller".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 05:18PM by oleterryg.

Posted by: GroundHug
Date: July 22, 2017 07:23AM
Lack of ability to balance for your soil is probably one reason. And as far as target ID goes, a lot of the good stuff reads "95" so you don't really have that good an idea of what the target might be based on that.

Having said that, I had a Cortes, and that was a lot better of a machine than people would think without having a ground balance and an ID like I mentioned above. It would hit hard on deep coins and you knew you had a keeper before you dug a good percent of the time. I probably shouldn't have sold it.

I currently have all machines with TID, but there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of beep dig as well. There are times I just want to cherry pick an area for whatever reason and that's when I prefer TID. But if you want to get all the goodies, beep dig is great. You have to love a company that will stand behind their machine for life.

Posted by: synthnut
Date: July 22, 2017 08:58AM
Tesoro detectors are for those of us who have realized that " Less is More " .... I have pulled better targets on what I have heard , better then any number could tell me .....Give me a good deep seeking machine , with good discrimination , and a ground balance , and I'm good to go .......

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: July 24, 2017 10:51AM
The number one Rule that;s been around for years in the detecting hobby, even with the high end Target ID Detectors of today .............. If it sounds good .......Dig IT !

Jewelry Hunting The Sports fields & Beach's here in Long Beach ca,

Date: July 24, 2017 11:38AM
One thing to remember. Even a good TID detector works as well as any Beep-N-Dig if you prefer to hunt that way. A good TID just gives you two forms of input, audio & video, doesn't mean you're forced to use just video.

I think some people are under the impression having a display some how forces you to have to use it. It simply gives you two forms of input instead of one. You still get to choose how you use it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2017 11:43AM by Southwind.

Posted by: oleterryg
Date: July 24, 2017 11:46AM
Well written. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login