Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: A simple salute to the "Beep-Dig" machines...
Posted by: Normx2
Date: July 25, 2017 07:09AM
Its probably worth remembering that the vast majority of everything ever found with a metal detector over years past was found with B&D machines. I have tried a few TID's but could never get used to the R2D2 sounds nor could I interpret what they meant. Whether TID or beep it's also worth remembering that no one manufacturer has yet found a way to positively separate a gold target from anything else so one would have to assume that no giant leaps as such have actually been made to say that one machine over another has the market cornered.

My machines are Tesoro's to include a Shadow X2 (Tesoro) with a full compliment of coils for all to include my Tejon and LST. I've been relic hunting for 20 years or so and as of yet see no reason to change brands, yes I know, this is indeed a personal opinion but the Tesoro warranty is unmatched anywhere in the world today and they're American made.

This is a great American hobby with some really fine people participating in all aspects of it. Made some lasting friends along the way and plan to make more.

Keep Diggin

NormX2

Posted by: BootyHunter
Date: July 26, 2017 10:52AM
Both have their attributes, but I'll say this, the different tones for the different conductors is the most useful feature of some of the tid machines I own more so than the vid. I can use my at pro in the water submerged at night and know the difference between nickels/gold and zincolns and that is a major p.us to me.

My YouTube page is Bootyhunter1971, Please check it out and. Like and Subscribe!!

Posted by: Electricfrontporch
Date: July 26, 2017 01:21PM
BootyHunter
Both have their attributes, but I'll say this, the different tones for the different conductors is the most useful feature of some of the tid machines I own more so than the vid. I can use my at pro in the water submerged at night and know the difference between nickels/gold and zincolns and that is a major p.us to me.

Except those big class rings that register as zincolns.
Gold is everywhere!

Re: A simple salute to the "Beep-Dig" machines...N/T
Posted by: frozen gopher
Date: July 27, 2017 10:32PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 10:44PM by frozen gopher.

Posted by: frozen gopher
Date: July 27, 2017 10:42PM
Analog and digital machines both do the same job. They give you information about a target. One may be more appealing to one detectorist and not another and thats fine. The only real difference is that analog give you the information unprocessed and therefore there is no loss of data. Digital collapses some information to present it it digital form and loses some information. This processing also takes time and digital machines can be slightly slower because of this. Some think the tradeoff is worth it to get all the added features that a digital machine offers over an analog machine but I prefer an analog machine. This is covered very well in the book "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero. It's a great read and I think all detectorist would benefit from reading it regardless of what you swing. HH. Rob.

OMG....Skillet Lives! :yikes:
Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: July 30, 2017 08:27PM
Good to hear from you buddy! Drop over to the Garrett Forum and say hello. Miss both BCD & The famous "Skillet.":cheekkiss:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,364275,366693#msg-366693

Posted by: Rob in (Ca)
Date: August 06, 2017 05:13PM
Few years back, when I had The V3i, A real jumpy ID Target at about 6 inch's, coming around zinc zone, The ID was very jumpy

But it (sounded good) real good. I almost did not dig it, thinking junk or a crusted zinc. I dug it, (because it sounded good) to my surprise a very Large Gold Ring, was my jumpy Target.

Jewelry Hunting The Sports fields & Beach's here in Long Beach ca,

Posted by: BarberBill
Date: August 06, 2017 08:49PM
I detected with beep and dig machines for quite a while before adding a TID detector to my arsenal. IMHO there's a lot to be said for learning a beep and dig machine well before going to an ID machine. The nuances in the sound over different targets will be one more piece of into when deciding whether to dig or not.
BB

North Idaho - A bunch of Tesoros, 3 Whites, Gray Ghosts, Sunray probe
If you don't dig it, you'll never know!

Posted by: C.J.M.
Date: August 07, 2017 06:36AM
My Deleon has been outstanding when rusty put on a new 8" coil and had it calibrated to the machine:yikes:

Posted by: oleterryg
Date: August 07, 2017 03:46PM
C.J.M.
My Deleon has been outstanding when rusty put on a new 8" coil and had it calibrated to the machine:yikes:

That's good to hear, CJM. Another happy DeLeon owner.

I too like the 8" coil, and the 5.75 coil. But currently I am really smitten with the stock 8x9 concentric coil. It just works for me.

Posted by: BeyWolf
Date: August 24, 2017 04:50PM
In 1993 I was living in Houston Texas and I decided to buy a new modern detector with a digital display.
I went to a place called Research & Recovery International and was drooling over a what I think was a White’s Eagle Spectrum.
The guy working there said “you don’t want that, it’s heavy enough to wear your arm out and it eats a lot of batteries".
"Let me show you something better”.
He brought out a Tesoro Bandido and demonstrated all the features and showed me how it could ignore junk iron
and still find coins. He said that it was the only machine he carried in his car everywhere he went.
My wife thought it was a good deal because the Bandido was half the price of the Eagle Spectrum.
I was still thinking I needed that display but I chose the Bandido. When I left with my new detector I looked in the
old guys car and sure enough there was a Bandido on the back seat.
I later discovered that the guy who sold me the Bandido was A. M. VanFossen, a treasure hunter with a collection valued in the millions.
That’s when I knew that I didn't really need that display.

Posted by: nagant
Date: August 25, 2017 02:08PM
Great story Beywolf.

A salute to the "Beep-Dig" machines...
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: August 27, 2017 01:05AM
BeyWolf
When I left with my new detector I looked in the old guys car and sure enough there was a Bandido on the back seat.
I later discovered that the guy who sold me the Bandido was A. M. VanFossen, a treasure hunter with a collection valued in the millions.

Reading your post made me glad I have an old Bandido.

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Re: A salute to the "Beep-Dig" machines...
Posted by: Daddy
Date: August 27, 2017 07:19AM
Rich (Utah)
BeyWolf
When I left with my new detector I looked in the old guys car and sure enough there was a Bandido on the back seat.

Reading your post made me glad I have an old Bandido.

Rich -

It made me wish that I had one ....

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login