Findmall.com

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Walker
Posted by: hatpin
Date: October 25, 2017 02:26PM
I havent hunted much this year . Got out for about thirty minutes today in a tiny old city yard . Dug up a few new pennies and a dime . This one spot I dug three pieces of aluminum siding and heard a 4th signal . I almost left it but the sound was mellower so went ahead and dug it . Was I surprised . Only the 3rd silver half I have found and they have all been Walkers . I used the Vaquero with stock coil . Balanced neutral , sens half way in the red , threshold a solid hum and disc set at the mark past tab .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 02:28PM by hatpin.

Re: Walker
Posted by: oleterryg
Date: October 25, 2017 05:53PM
Congratulations.
One day, for sure, I'm gonna dig me up a Walker.

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: October 25, 2017 07:07PM
Nice find as don't see many of them coming out of the ground anymore. How deep was it?

Etrac
CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Posted by: larbear
Date: October 25, 2017 07:22PM
Congrats, beautiful coin ! And so much fun to find !

Date: October 25, 2017 09:49PM
I dont even know how deep it was . The ground was very black and loose and it was in the loose dirt . I'm guessing 4 to 5 inches .

Date: October 26, 2017 11:09AM
The 2 Halfs I found awhile back were maybe 6" -7". I don't know How I and others missed it as place been hunted a lot with other units? Something to these Tesoros.

Etrac
CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Walker
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: October 26, 2017 10:52PM
That's awesome hatpin! And a great looking one as well. There have been quite a few halves turned up this year by the mighty Tesoro's out there.

Rich -

enjoying the vistas and horizons of the Old West.

Date: October 27, 2017 11:03AM
I know it seems like Tesoro's are hot on Half dollars for some reason? Up until the ones I found it been 2 Years since I found one?

Etrac
CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Posted by: john67
Date: October 27, 2017 03:43PM
nice find

Congrats on the Walking Liberty 50¢ piece. :clapping:
Posted by: Monte
Date: October 30, 2017 10:47AM
After reading that I think I might take my Vaquero out later today as I have located an older site that might possibly hold a small keeper or two.

I've used many different brands, changing up when there has been significant progress in a new offering, but I always maintain a few of my all-time favorite Tesoro's. I'd easily bet that since I started using Tesoro's in mid-'83, at least half, and more likely 75% of all the silver halves I have recovered were when I had a Tesoro in-hand.

You said you used the 'stock' search coils, but there are actually two 'stock' search coils. The original Vaquero on to today's gray-rod version comes with the 8X9 Concentric spoked coil, while the newer 'black' rod version Vaquero comes with the new 8X11 RSD open-frame Double-D coil. So I'll guess you might be referring to the 8X9 Concentric, right? Do you have a smaller coil for trashier sites? If not, you might want to consider adding that 'edge' to the Tesoro Vaquero's performance.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Posted by: ken ward
Date: October 30, 2017 03:08PM
Nice find Hat Pin. It has been many years since I found a half.
Do you know why we don't find more of them.
Maybe because they were much heavier than dimes and pennies. They would not fall out of your pocket as easy.
KEN

My Detectors : Whites Surfmaster 2,,2 Tesoro Compadre,1 Detector Pro Pirate Pro 1 Silver uMaz, 1 Fisher 1266x

Date: October 31, 2017 08:53AM
Monte : "You said you used the 'stock' search coils, but there are actually two 'stock' search coils. The original Vaquero on to today's gray-rod version comes with the 8X9 Concentric spoked coil, while the newer 'black' rod version Vaquero comes with the new 8X11 RSD open-frame Double-D coil. So I'll guess you might be referring to the 8X9 Concentric, right? Do you have a smaller coil for trashier sites? If not, you might want to consider adding that 'edge' to the Tesoro Vaquero's performance. "

I have the older black 8 x 9 . I do have a smaller Concentric but only use it when I have to .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2017 08:58AM by hatpin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login