Findmall.com

Tesoro Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
I noticed Monte didn't answer this one after 2 days
Scott Buckner
Date: October 25, 2003 11:18PM
Either Monte is ignoring me or he's dead or he's on vacation or something.
Maybe I'm just living up to my reputation of being a hornet's nest-banger here, but I find it unusual -- not to mention a disservice to those who may be lurking with the same concerns as Bob -- that he not suggest evidence that bear out his statements regarding the performance of one or several detectors against another. If'n you're going to go saying what you're saying, at least have the common decency in the first place to say who and why.
Sigh.
Scott

Please note that your post explains why some people (including me) have not responded.
Monte
Date: October 26, 2003 05:06AM
First, let me point out that I have been busy with work, busy with hunting season, and busy detecting and not getting to all the forums I usually frequent.
Next, after reading all of the posts below Bob's initial inquiry, I will start here:
"Personally, I like non-TID turn on and go machines, but that's just me. But I still realize TID and/or manual-GB machines have their time and place to give you that extra info you just can't get with a machine not set up for that.".... Exactly! Some makes and models are going to offer certain advantages over other makes and models and it is important to know what "time and place" a person might need to use a detector in order to tailor their detector and/or coil selection.
"But I think you hit on the most important point: Use the machine you like best for whatever environment you're using it in and enjoy the living daylights out of this hobby because really, that's what it's all about.".... Yes, indeed. Use the detector for the environment and application, and that just happend to be one of the points I brought out in my initial question/response to Bob. I asked what type(s) of hunting he does in order to know how to better respond regarding a detector selection.
Have I replied any more yet? No, but I am now. Perhaps I was waiting to know more about what "environment" Bob is going to be using his new Tesoro selection in. That way, I will know "what model might have advantages over the other" for his intended uses. Just what "time and place" need or want was Bob looking to fill?
Image error
Denying non-HTTP URL: /metal/html/smile.gif
open image URL
Monte

Nobody has been able to really answer your question because
Monte
Date: October 26, 2003 05:32AM
you never qualified the use or application for a new model.
"GOSH!!! I didn't intend to turn the pot upside down.".... No pot turned here.
"I am however, thankful for the unbiest and honest answers. Scot brings up a good point about not going backwards. Yes,I do like the metered machine."... But if we (responders) are supposed to explain 'why' (as Scott suggests), then perhaps it would be fair to seek the 'why' from you in order for us to respond. Just 'WHY' do you like a metered machine?
What have you used before with or without a meter?
What applications do you have for the Target ID information?
"I guess I lean toward the DeLeon ...".... Why?
"... and am wondering if all thats said about it, by Tesoro, is also what the actual users of the machine have to say about it."... What, specifically is said about the DeLe

Fast Sweep and Slow Sweep models can be confusing.
Monte
Date: October 26, 2003 05:55AM
There used to be more obvious differences between the Fast Motion (4-filter type) and Slow Motion (2-filter type) motion discriminators.
In technical consideration it is a difference in what they refer to as "ring time."
The earliest motion discriminators, designed by Bounty Hunter, were the Red Barons and they used an almost 'rocket speed' sweep requirement. Eventually, White's models, licensed by Bounty Hunter to use their patented motion discrimination (4128803), were developed that set the standard by which most 4-filter & 2-filter designs were compared. These were the 5000 and 6000 series units. In time, they evolved into models that used White's own technology and not the BH patent, and the refined versions we have today in the XL Pro and XLT, for example, while still 4-filter designs, are really considered more of a slower-to-moderate sweep speed design.
While other makes and models have been produced using a 2-filter, slow-motion circuitry, perhaps all of them have to be compared to the Tesoro line of detectors. I feel Tesoro really set the standard by which all other 2-filter designs are compared. The Tesoro design can be considered slow-motion, and in some cases even ultra-slow capable.
As such, the Tesoro motion discriminators are "Slow-Sweep" designs. They do not require the ultra-slow sweep of the Explorer and are a little more forgiving if you use a faster (moderate) sweep speed.
In more mineralized ground, however, the 4-filter designs can be swept a little faster and sometimes need it for improved performance. On the other hand, the slow-motion 2-filter discriminators require a slower-motion in the more mineralized environments. A too fast sweep can greatly impact the detector's performance ... negatively.
Now, while the Tej

"Enjoyment" is very important!
Monte
Date: October 26, 2003 06:05AM
Which is why some who are loyal to the White's brand favor the MXT over the DFX.
Image error
Denying non-HTTP URL: /metal/html/smile.gif
open image URL

Easy to use, excellent performance, and 'fun!' verses some more featured models like the DFX that are more confusing to many, and challenging to use.
The DeLe

General translation of my post for those who might be confused.
Monte
Date: October 26, 2003 08:50AM
In response to Bob's inquiry as to which tesoro model to get to compliment his Minelab Explorer, I posted: (note there are spelling and grammar corrections)
"If having TID is very important, then that narrows the decision down.".... IF having Target ID is a must, and IF Tesoro is the only brand he's considering, and IF he wants simplicity, then the decision between the DeLe

Question revisited!!
Bob
Date: October 26, 2003 09:35AM
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.My main target is coin hunting at beach,grass parks and at old celler holes or remains there of.I'll pick up relics"rings,pins,old watches,etc.at where ever I come accross them.As far as old horse shoes and the like,I've dug enough of that JUNK when I was younger so I'm not interested in that.Of course,I will pickup an old cannon ball if I find one.I'm good for about 5 hrs. with the ex. then I would like to switch to something lighter with close to the same performance.I realize the deleon and the tejon won't give me everything or as much but I'm not expecting it.Some of the places I've been waiting for winter,so I can get into,are a long way off the trail.I hope this answers some of the questions.Sorry I didn't include this in my first post.Bob
Image error
Denying non-HTTP URL: /metal/html/lol.gif
open image URL

That's right Monte!
charlie (UK)
Date: October 29, 2003 02:24PM
Depending on what environment you are detecting in, will to a great extent, dictate how well you do! of course, this will depend on which machine you happen to be using at the time! My favourite story I like to relate is this one:
One time my buddy and I were detecting on a new Roman site that we had just found. I was using the Tesoro SS2 and he was using the Whites Eagle Spectrum. I found a total of 23 Roman coins, he found only 10, and was complaining about all the iron (which I had no problem with). The second time we went to this site, he had 'permed a programme' to deal with all the iron that he suffered with the first time round. I have to admit, he kicked my butt this time! but what I'm saying here is; on a lot of sites we visit, you only get one shot at them! if this had been one of these sites, I'd have kicked HIS BUTT!
Image error
Denying non-HTTP URL: /metal/html/lol.gif
open image URL
I go for ease of use, simplicity and ENJOYMENT every time!

It wasn;t that "we" might have been confused ...
Scott Buckner
Date: October 29, 2003 03:10PM
But, as usual, your post opened more questions than it answered, and hence the reason for my initial needling. Sorry for being a pisher, but your follow-up answer here was IMO a more well-rounded answer and, really truth be told, more in keeping with your usual stellar advice.
All in all, I just figured you were having an off day or something the first time around.
Scott

Pilot error
Scott Buckner
Date: October 29, 2003 03:31PM
If there's anything a lot of us know, some guy coming behind you and "hearing" what you just missed has more to do with negligence than "inferior" equipment more times than not.
Unless maybe you're using a Minelab in northern Virginia on a fine spring or fall weekend
Otherwise, and sorry for getting all philosophical on you here, but it all comes back to the basic age-old question of if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it, did the tree actually fall? And a similarly age-old detecting question would be how many times have so many of us talked ourselves into buying detectors others swore up and down *would* actually hear that tree falling, and it ended up that there was no tree in the first place?
This ends our Confucius programming day
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login