Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Possibly a Civil War "Love Token" ???
Posted by: davkeene
Date: December 13, 2009 10:03PM
Dug this at about 10" deep in a 1800's park in N.E. Penna. Any ideas? Dave.

Re: Possibly a Civil War "Love Token" ???
Posted by: dave5710
Date: December 13, 2009 10:45PM
Aren't love tokens usually bowed? That looks like it was made into a locket. The catch is on the left side and part of the hinge on the right side. How big is it?

Dave
Central Illinois
T-2 & Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Keep pluggin' away"

Date: December 13, 2009 10:59PM
It's made out of a Seated Liberty 1864 dime.

Date: December 14, 2009 06:08PM
I guess I should have mentioned that the two pictures are of both sides of the Seated dime. The back of the dime appears to have been ground flat and someones initial was engraved on that side. The pin was then soldered to the front of the dime. Dave.

Posted by: Cliff KS
Date: December 14, 2009 06:16PM
I thought the same thing as Dave. It looks like it was the cover to a locket---with the hinge on one side and the catch on the other.

Date: December 14, 2009 06:57PM
The two pieces were held together by the hinge. The really neat thing I think is, if it is a locket with a picture of say your wife, when you open it and see the coin, the date will signify the date you were married, met her, fell in love or whatever.

Dave
Central Illinois
"Keep pluggin' away"

Date: December 14, 2009 07:26PM
As I mentioned in my last message, the two pictures are of the SAME coin. One pic. is the front with the Seated Liberty on the face of the dime, which had a safety pin type of pin soldered to it. The other pic. is of the back of the coin, that has been ground smooth and the persons initial is engraved. It was worn with the initial facing
forward. I hope I am explaining this clearly. If not, I will try to post clearer pictures of both sides. Dave.

Date: December 14, 2009 08:47PM
Sorry, I thought you were asking us what we thought it was. I understood that both pictures were of the same object. I have seen several "love tokens" in treasure hunting magazines and they appeared to me to be gently bent coins.

Dave
Central Illinois
"Keep pluggin' away"

Date: December 15, 2009 08:21PM
No "sorry" necessary Dave. At first, I didn't think that I was getting my message across. I'm the one that should be sorry for not explaining clearly.
Have a great Holiday and HH. Dave.

Posted by: Beale
Date: December 16, 2009 04:57AM
It is a very cool find! I really like it! Good job, Beale.

Posted by: Canewrap
Date: December 16, 2009 08:42AM
Looks like the guy that put this together went one better on the "love token" idea. This is a pin on brooch and one of the nicest unique items I've seen lately, from that time period. Not necessarily civil war I'm afraid as coins like that would have been in circulation for years after the war, but a real nice personal item, none-the-less. Kind of a twist on the silver ring made from a dime.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 08:54AM by Canewrap.

Thanks Beale. Not worth much but to me it is one of my favorites.N/T
Date: December 16, 2009 06:37PM

(This message does not contain any text.)