Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
CAN YOU USE A METAL DETECTOR IN SNOW?
Posted by: PaulMBurgess
Date: December 24, 2009 04:42AM
So can you use a metal detector in snow ? and will it work ,or will it mess up its ability to work correctly? Has anybody tried and what were the results.? Seeing how it is winter in all.:detecting:

Re: CAN YOU USE A METAL DETECTOR IN SNOW?
Posted by: silversmith
Date: December 24, 2009 08:34AM
Do you know a Ken Burgess in central Ca?"

Posted by: Joel-Winnipeg
Date: December 24, 2009 09:07AM
PaulMBurgess
So can you use a metal detector in snow ? and will it work ,or will it mess up its ability to work correctly? Has anybody tried and what were the results.? Seeing how it is winter in all.:detecting:

Check out John-Edmonton who post on this forum he hunts all winter up to -20 degrees below .:detecting:

We act as though comfort and luxury
were the chief requirements of life
when all we need to make us really happy
is something to be enthusiastic about.
___ Charles Kingsley___

Posted by: dave5710
Date: December 24, 2009 09:15AM
It will work. Swinging your coil through the snow will take a toll on the detector shaft. Holding the coil over the snow will cost you alot of depth loss and will probably give you a nagging back ache. Digging in frozen ground is a pain. Cold temperature will drain your batteries quickly and is bad for your lungs. But heck, other than that I don't see a problem. Plus if you are the first one there after the snow, you will easily see where you already hunted.

Have a great Holiday season. Dave

Dave
Central Illinois
T-2 & Garrett Pro-Pointer
"Keep pluggin' away"

Posted by: kered
Date: December 24, 2009 11:23AM
Ski resorts are a good place to pick up some loot, especially in spring when the snow starts to melt

Whites Surf Dual Field, SovGT/SEF 12x10 y XS2aPro/wot15, Uniprobe & sunray

Re: LOL I think most of us have been overwhelmed with cabin fever and gone out in the snow.
Posted by: Ron from Michigan
Date: December 24, 2009 04:51PM
Rumour has it that's how grandma got ran over by the reindeer.

Posted by: fowlercharles
Date: December 24, 2009 08:13PM
Snow is rare for me but when I was younger I did my share of scratching in the rain. I would say with age I have learned better, or don't see enough reason to go in the rain, but then again, I best not say that! I did go once when the ground was frozen. That won't happen again.

Posted by: edjcox
Date: December 25, 2009 05:36AM
Just doesn't do the job a shovel or a snowblower will......:rofl:

Posted by: AUDuke
Date: December 25, 2009 07:05PM
Depends on how deep the snow is , hard to swing when the snow is 4 or 5 feet deep.

Posted by: Bugar In. USA
Date: January 10, 2010 04:55PM
Yes you can detect in the snow- just use the common sense, anything around freezing and below may mess up your LCD if you have one, cold weather is tuff on batteries, and digging is tough, but it works, the moisture in the snow is bout like the moisture in the soil, you gain a little depth, just think bout what your'e doing it works, I do it quite a bit.:detecting:

Posted by: Old Katz
Date: January 11, 2010 11:48AM
Go to the Garrett forum and see postings from John Edmonton. He hunts in the snow all the time.
Send him a private email while your at it. He's good about answering.
Katz

Yes. I detect at snowed -in beaches throughout the winter . Found a gold ring through 4" of snow and down in the sand about 4". I use a Minelab GTN/T
Posted by: Magyar
Date: January 11, 2010 06:39PM

(This message does not contain any text.)