Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Cen-Tech Pinpointer
Posted by: silversmith
Date: February 19, 2010 10:02PM
Uh...Uh ! This more like comparing a worn out One Lunger Lawnmower with a flat tire and a brand new Mercedes with all the trimmings. THERE AIN'T NO COMPARISON..........! The first thing that a Harbor Freight owner says when he gets his hands on a ProPointer is "OH MY GOD......:yikes:"

Posted by: norman maassey
Date: February 20, 2010 01:23AM
Dan-Pa.
Certainly many better high priced pinpointrs on the market but for the bucks not a bad unit considering probably cost 1/10 th what others do...

As many digging tool I have lost over years I will stay with a Cen-tach. When I do lose it want cry as long as if was a Gerrett.

Posted by: ken(toronto)
Date: February 20, 2010 07:06AM
Here's a video showing the performance of the Garrett pro-pointer:

here's a video on the Cen-tech:

I see difference of about 1/2"

Ken

Re: Cen-Tech Pinpointer fine tuning
Posted by: Hopskippy
Date: February 20, 2010 07:36AM
kydigger
O.K. I've posted this several times.

I read this in another forum.
I tried it and it turns the Cen-Tech into as good a pinpointer as the more expensive units.
The key is that this unit was made for finding nails in wood, not coin shooting. By changing the factory settings you turn your Cen-Tech into a fine coin pinpointer
Do an air check using any coin to see what distance you have at the factory setting.
Open the box by removing the 4 corner screws. Don't remove the center screw.
With the probe pointing to the left, you will see a little blue box on the upper right.
You will see a little adjustment screw on top of that box.
Turning that screw clockwise raises the sensitivity.
Turn the external sensitivity knob about 1/2 turn.
Turn the internal sensitivity screw clockwise until the unit sounds off.
By doing a little tinkering with the 2 controls, you should be able to get the Cen-Tech to detect a penny at about 2".
Be sure to leave a little play in the outside knob to help narrow your search once you locate your target.

I mounted a Radio Shack 1/2" Blue-Capped control knob, part no. 274-403, over the factory control knob. Now I don't have to use 2 fingers to adjust that tiny knob. It looks better too. (LOL)
By the way. I do wonder why people need a hundred dollar pinpointer that that will detect at 3+ inches.
Let me know how this tweek works out for you.

I tried your tweek, it works GREAT, doubled the distance. Fined tuned after tweek, it can get 2" on a penny !!

THANKS Kydigger, now that was a super easy UPGRADE !!!

MINELAB E-TRAC
Sun Ray X-1 target probe

WHITES SPECTRUM XLT
Sun Ray XL-1 target probe

GARRETT PRO pointer

YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_37PWuVLqgcmWqe-jJ-mg/feed

Happy Hunting

It's cheap and it works!N/T
Posted by: Dang
Date: February 20, 2010 11:54AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Date: February 20, 2010 12:24PM
Wow.........! You see it before you and yet you are just too blind to see! Lets say it like this, your Cen-tek it just a common two dimensional detector like *all* the rest. The Garrett ADDS depth to the configuration. Did you not notice the Cen-tek just turn and off like a light switch when the coin finally got close enough to the detector? Did you not notice the Garrett start slow beeping when the coin got within range and beeped faster and faster as the coin got closer and closer? The Garrett is a 3 dimensional pin pointer. YOU CAN TELL HOW FAR YOU ARE AWAY FROM THE COIN :thumbup:
I'll never understand how someone will spend $800 or more for a first-class metal detector, then buy a super cheap class-less (my opinion) "better'n nothin" pinpointer and run around braggin about it !

But hey gentleman, I'll be the first to defend your right to own one of these, after all I did, sure I owned one, fixed it all up with vibrator mods and laughed at the Garrett airheads till I .........tried the Garrett. :thumbup:

Go back and re- review the demo, till you get it.

Posted by: lafatlife
Date: February 20, 2010 01:11PM
As stated before, if your machine (and yourself) is good at pinpointing, the pinpointer you use doesn't really matter much. My centech will get me within 1 to 1 1/2 inches which is similar to the other ones. Does it have vibration, no but it works. As I also said earlier, I would rather leave a 15 dollar pinpointer at a site than a 100 dollar one.

I have yet to leave one but in the event that I do, I am only out 15 dollars.

No one is saying that the propointer isn't good. If you are happy with that's great. I am happy with my centech.

Date: February 20, 2010 02:59PM
How far do you go with that, Laugh-at-life. Did you marry an ugly girl with knobby knees and a wart on here nose, 'cause you might loose 'er. Do you drive an old beat-up Ford P.U. with the rods a-knockin' 'cause someone might steal it. I think you'd much less likely to loose a pinpointer that cost $126.45 than one that only cost $14.95. Sucks, I'd probably TRY to loose one of those once a week or so and go buy a new one! But, friend I DO respect your opinion. The best.........! :cheers:

Posted by: NJgeoman
Date: February 20, 2010 04:16PM
Cen-TEC pinpointer. Good on drywall. Not very good in the dirt as it doesn't detect more than inch away from metal and you can't hear it with headphones on. Trust me on this one - go for the Garrett Pro Pointer (it will cost about $125 more than the Cen-Tec but you'll never leave home without it.

Thanks For All the Valuable Information....
Posted by: ken(toronto)
Date: February 20, 2010 05:16PM
Thanks to everyone for their valuable information...this forum is the best!!!

Ken

Date: February 20, 2010 07:37PM
silversmith
How far do you go with that, Laugh-at-life. Did you marry an ugly girl with knobby knees and a wart on here nose, 'cause you might loose 'er. Do you drive an old beat-up Ford P.U. with the rods a-knockin' 'cause someone might steal it. I think you'd much less likely to loose a pinpointer that cost $126.45 than one that only cost $14.95. Sucks, I'd probably TRY to loose one of those once a week or so and go buy a new one! But, friend I DO respect your opinion. The best.........! :cheers:

That was a little harsh don't you think?

First and foremost, I am a woman so I did not "marry an ugly girl with knobby knees and a wart on "here" nose"

Secondly I wouldn't buy a Ford Truck (No offense to those who have them)

and Third, If you can pinpoint well with your detector why do you even need a pinpointer? If someone is just starting out, use a centech. I never once said the garret was worthless. IF YOU CAN AFFORD ONE GO FOR IT.

As far as losing them goes, ask around how many people have left their pinpointers. How many have put on reflective tape or colored them something bright so they can see them when they have to go back.

Just because it doesn't cost over 100 dollars does not mean it is worthless.

Posted by: sqwaby
Date: February 20, 2010 08:47PM
Pass the popcorn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 08:48PM by sqwaby.

Touche!! Lafatlife
Posted by: kydigger
Date: February 20, 2010 10:08PM
And well put all the way around.

Ron R.
Fisher F4 11" DD, 8" concentric and 4' coils
Cen-Tech pinpointer

Posted by: Hopskippy
Date: February 21, 2010 06:53AM
:argue:

:stretcher:

ummm, looks like rain here.............................

MINELAB E-TRAC
Sun Ray X-1 target probe

WHITES SPECTRUM XLT
Sun Ray XL-1 target probe

GARRETT PRO pointer

YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_37PWuVLqgcmWqe-jJ-mg/feed

Happy Hunting

Date: February 21, 2010 08:35AM
Thank you kydigger. I will not sink to that persons level. That is not what forums are about. We are here to help others and to ask for help as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login