Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Winter metal detecting in the woods
Posted by: Jim Walker
Date: February 06, 2011 08:59PM
I went out into some woods to do some metal detecting today. The trees are mostly pine and oak trees in the area I was in. An old logging road dating back to 1950's ( told from the land owner) . Well I started off on one end, within 20 ft in I had a really nice sound on my metal detector.So I took my foot and swept the leave to clear a spot to pin point and get ready to dig. Well I pin pointed over the spot and stuck the shovel in. I looked like I had turned up 4 or 5 nice night crawlers ( worms). Come to find out that I had stuck my shovel in a snake den. I could see the coin but lost interest in risking anything over a penny. I covered it back up and moved on. I thought that snakes in the winter time would be much deeper then 3 or 4 inches.
One other thing I have not thought about is poison ivy / poison oak dead leaves, still contain Urushiol. So I guess if your out in the woods their maybe dangers. The snakes by the way, copperhead snakes. Ironic Copperhead snakes near a copper penny. I did move onto a different place and continued my day of metal detecting . Turning up a hand full of change. Jim

Re: Winter metal detecting in the woods
Posted by: david1962hd
Date: February 06, 2011 09:49PM
Mostly Pine and Oak Trees on an old Logging road dating back to the 50's.
Sounds like South Alabama territory, especially with those Copper head snakes.

Posted by: BrewCity
Date: February 07, 2011 02:24PM
Thank god we only have two types of poisons snakes in Wisconsin and neither one are any where near me.

Posted by: fongu
Date: February 07, 2011 03:48PM
Spooky.

Date: February 07, 2011 05:51PM
Louisiana, in this area we have several kinds of poisonous snakes.

Poisonous Snakes found in Louisiana.

Eastern Coral Snake Texas Coral Snake
Western Pygmy Rattlesnake
Copperhead
Cottonmouth
Timber (Canebrake) Rattlesnake
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake

Posted by: david1962hd
Date: February 07, 2011 07:06PM
Its amazing how you can "Smell" the rattle snakes before you really see them. I hate cotton mouths they seem to be more aggressive (here in Alabama) than the rest.
But anyway, happy hunting an keep you eyes, ears an nose alert.

Well Jim, I guess it depends on where you live.
Posted by: John 'n' W.Va
Date: February 07, 2011 07:17PM
I was out yesterday tecting an old log cabin site. There was an half inch of snow on the ground. I was MD'ing the woods because the ground doesn't freeze as hard as open ground. I was going over some rock piles thinking, I am glad it's still winter. I don't have to worry about snakes. I know there was poison ivy around, shucks it's West Virgina.

Only found a 1945 dog tag, bullets and a piece of an old carbide lamp. I NEVER FIND MUCH AT OLD CABIN SITES.

Posted by: dixiedigger57
Date: February 07, 2011 08:10PM
i'll take your snakes, you can have our in-town thugs in the best district to hunt old stuff!

Date: February 07, 2011 08:21PM
I always wear snake-proof boots and chaps when I am out and about in the woods. But still when I cross one I move on. There is too many other places to fight a snake over a coin, unless its gold. Then I will think about it. But push come to shove I can always come back. But walking around in the woods with head phones on, I feel better wearing snake-proof gear, and half of the head phones removed. I have been hit once with the boots and chaps. An viper cloth works. I would not go out with out it. As for poison ivy, I had a guy with me last month. An he was working and area finding some coins. He ended up with poison ivy. I gave him some jewelweed soap. That is the only thing I found that works like magic.

Posted by: ralph
Date: February 07, 2011 09:37PM
Didnt know there was soap made from jewelweed,where can one get it. I've used juice from the plant growing at the edges of woods to ease mosquito bites and bee stings.

Good story, Jim
Posted by: Geo Unit
Date: February 08, 2011 09:36AM
Snakes are not much of a problem in my area,but all kinds of critters are getting chased out by housing developments and appearing in new spots. Just have to stay alert now matter where you are.

George

Wish i could find a snake den. Thanx for not killin 'em Jim :thumbup:N/T
Posted by: Jim West Pa
Date: February 08, 2011 04:40PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Posted by: McDave
Date: February 08, 2011 05:12PM
dixiedigger57
i'll take your snakes, you can have our in-town thugs in the best district to hunt old stuff!

How about bringing along Mr. Smith & Wesson. Or maybe a nice Taser?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MNcoinhunter
Northern Minnesota
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Garrett AT Pro
White's Coinmaster 5H/DM G.E.B.

Mr. Walker... I guess I would have to give up "Tecting" if I lived in your area with all those snakes.. :shrug:
Posted by: Elton
Date: February 08, 2011 06:00PM
No way would I detect in that area.

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Date: February 08, 2011 08:27PM
"soap made from jewelweed" You can get it on ebay. Several small heath food kind of stores also have it.

Jewelweed Soap
Ingredients
2 cups glycerin soap
1/2 cup jewelweed maceration (gather blooming jewelweed and boil in 1/2 cup water)
7 drops sweet orange oil
2 drops of orange coloring

Instructions
Melt glycerin in double boiler or slowly in microwave. Add jewelweed maceration, stir until slightly cooled. Add fragrance and color. Pour into molds. Cool.

You can find jewelweed growing next to poison ivy...it has a little orange jewel like flower. It is used to heal the rash caused by poison ivy.

An as for snakes, I leave them be, and hope they return the favor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login