Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Can you make a living?
Posted by: hershey1
Date: March 25, 2011 01:03AM
There was an article a few months back about a retired couple that traveled around campgrounds with their motorhome and detected. I think the story was in W&E magazine. After expenses they did actually make a small profit. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum read the article. I love to detect for my own reasons but I sure would'nt want to bet my future on my finds. My problem is I keep more than I sell. Like McDave said I could eat as long as I had a good dry box. HH :minelab::teknetics:

Posted by: UK Brian
Date: March 25, 2011 04:49AM
What ever happened to the pioneer spirit of the U.S. ? If Mel Fisher read these posts he would never have left his chicken farm. Try and get hold of the book "Finders Keepers" by Warren Smith. Its an old one (late 60's or early 70's).

There's a U.S. ex relic hunter touring Europe now in a motorhome. He made nearly $20,000 profit last year even though he had an engine blow up on him and had his Excaliber confiscated in Spain. Warren Smiths book says there's not even a need to venture outside the States with two billion dollars of treasure finds having been made the year the book was printed.

Whatever happened to the Pioneer spirit?
Posted by: mudpuppy
Date: March 25, 2011 05:32AM
OK Brian! Thats the ticket! Lets get to specifics then shall we? A person would have to be single, great health, a jack of all trades, no criminal record, letters of marque,(like newspaper articles, and high power contacts that could vouch for you) especially handy would be some sailing experience, or a pilots license, as owners often pay people to sail their boats/planes to exotic locales. be able to travel lightly, have an outlet for their finds, access to research, relatively tough and good with people, multilingual, access to cash for emergencys,....

Anyway, I think a fellow could do it if they were committed and focused and had a few or all of the above, I will not be the one to dash anyones dreams of doing this for a living, as I've seen people spend their lives in unrewarding, unprofitable, miserable jobs and wind up homeless, broke, with no marketable skills, and no lives adventures as well...This is a BIG Planet, and theres treasures out there to be found!

Detecting is the study of Humans interaction with topography, the untrustworthyness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the earth from whence it came.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: March 25, 2011 07:20AM
As a retiree i have a lot of time to hunt, but it costs and you still dont have the time needed to hunt if you are married with a home. There is a lot of parks around Indy.... but there are a lot of hunters. I used to travel full time in an RV and hunted all over, but there wasnt any money in it. The hardest thing id say would be having an outlet to sell the stuff at a good price.... and LETTING GO OF IT. Many of us grow attachments and create attachments.... there is the flaw.

Dew

Re: Whatever happened to the Pioneer spirit?
Posted by: Flintstone
Date: March 25, 2011 08:55AM
Hi Mudpuppy, Boy you have a good out look on life, You can make a man think on some of this. I am retired, but can,t fly, OK with people i guss, love to travel, maybe i could do it. NO NO NO i can,t do it, I am married, have a house, not alot of money, two grand baby's i can,t be with out long. Shoot, I almost had it. Good luck to who ever trys. DEAN

Posted by: jmaryt
Date: March 25, 2011 12:50PM
in a word!..NO!..best of luck in a "most" interesting endeavor!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

This has come up before.
Posted by: Mike Hillis
Date: March 25, 2011 01:05PM
Some say no. Some say maybe.

I'll go hunt up my old post and repost it. Easier that typing it all out again.

HH
Mike

Fisher F5
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Fisher CZ 5 Quicksilver
Fisher F19
Fisher F75 LTD
Whites Sierra Gold Trac
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Golden Sabre II

Re: This has come up before.
Posted by: Hombre
Date: March 25, 2011 02:05PM
If metal detecting became my job.......it would'nt be fun anymore:tongue:

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: Terry Soloman
Date: March 25, 2011 07:20PM
When I decided I wanted to prospect for gold professionally, I spent a year writing a business plan. In order to pay for two ex-wives, five children and four grandchildren, I figured I needed a crapload of money. I was making $97,000.00 a year as a Respiratory Therapist, and another $20,000.00 or so a year doing consulting jobs on the side at the time, so just up and quitting to go gold prospecting didn't make a lot of sense. Long story short, I found a way to do what I love to do. But now, instead of intubating a victim in an Emergency Room during the week - and gold prospecting in my spare time, I give talks on gold prospecting and meteorite hunting, spend hours on the phone with metal detecting and equipment manufactures, reps, advertisers, sponsors, clients, reporters, my liability insurance guy, my helicopter pilot, the accountant, answering emails, writing reviews and articles, riding herd on my employees and gold claim owners, yadda-yadda-yadda! Oh, and sometimes I get to go out and prospect! If you really want to do something - you can! But sooner or later your job still becomes your job. The key is to find a way to make enough money to quit working while you are still young enough to go walk the beach with an electronic stick whenever you want to. I can't wait to get THERE! - Terry http://www.TerrySoloman.com

Date: March 25, 2011 08:04PM
i'm already there!..worked hard to get there,AND still young enough,with good health to enjoy it!
try to hunt each and every day!..god willing!..i feel truly blessed!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I am at the point in my life too JT... I am also blessed !!N/T
Posted by: Oak
Date: March 25, 2011 09:23PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Oak
Vero Beach, Florida

Posted by: Mtnmn
Date: March 25, 2011 10:07PM
I have a retired friend who actually does metal detect year round (he goes south for the winter). By hunting an average of 6 hrs. a day, 6 days a week he has found over $2500 (face value) just in coins alone (incl. silver) each of the past 2 yrs. and that doesn't include all the rings and jewelry he finds. When figuring in the total probable value of all his finds, they probably would come to maybe $4 or $5,000 depending on the value of his rings and jewelry. Definitely not enough to live on, but more than enough to pay for his motorcycle's gas and by the way he only hits the beaches in the winter time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2011 10:09PM by Mtnmn.

Re: I am at the point in my life too JT... I am also blessed !!
Date: March 26, 2011 02:42AM
that's great..oak!..i tell the wife!..goin' 'dectin
unless it's an emergency,don't call me!..long gone,and hard to find!
just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Posted by: edjcox
Date: March 26, 2011 02:51AM
Straight answer no.

You might find a lot of coins and the occasional able bauble but make a living... Naw

Get a solar cell recharger for NIMH batteries (2 sets) solve your battery expense..

Re: Can you make a living?N/T
Posted by: sammyd
Date: March 28, 2011 02:06PM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 02:21PM by sammyd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login