Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Best detector in iron?
Posted by: jmaryt
Date: September 23, 2011 07:25PM
this is essentially ''dead nuts" accurate! only other viable option is to know several people who own the
various detectors,and will allow you to "borrow" them!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Posted by: john4840
Date: September 23, 2011 07:31PM
earthlypotluck
The best detector I have ever owned for sniffing out goodies in iron is the Sovereign GT. Many "one way" high pitch signals I dug ended up being many silver dimes throughout this year alone and one large 1822 cent that was "sleeping" next to two iron nails. The area where I found the large cent, before using the Sovereign GT, I went over the same area with a couple of different high end detectors and they never even gave a hint something was there. With the results I experience with the detector, I wouldn't trade this detector for anything else out there. Just my opinion and 2 cents.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/success-stories/what-a-sight-to-behold-1

That is a nice coin you got. Yep that is what I have noticed about my Sovereign. I have pulled out silver mercs and barber dimes right in the middle rusted nails. Once you learn the Sovereign's language it is unbeatable. Yep never letting go of my Sovereign.

John

Posted by: Hombre
Date: September 23, 2011 07:35PM
Ronk
I agree with you 100% about the Fake videos! I've seen a bunch of them of what very much appeared to be fake! I've also seen enough air tests to put me to to sleep for years!Even the ones in a plastic tube in the ground are basically still an air test since the target never touches anything and is not in contact with the ground and is not buried.Their are very few real in the ground nature's way videos out there.There are some that are planted ahead of time.Why people do those things is beyond me.
You are right about first hand experience.I already said I don't own a Tek model and I was only saying based on My own research and My Own opinions and that's how I came to the conclusion about how well these detectors perform in the iron.That's what the poster wanted to know. I have no reason to doubt the performance of these machines and their ability to work in iron.I've never read once where any owner of one the models complained about it not working in iron.They All agree about it and that's very rare for everyone to agree on something like that on these forums.Even a lot of others that are very brand loyal agrees how well these newer Fisher/Tek modes handle iron.I think that says alot for them.I would have no doubt whatsoever buying one these models that it wouldn't perform in the iron as advertised.
You are also right about hype.I've fell for it in the past and ever since then no matter what product I am interested in I always do research first and I'm never in a hurry like I use to be.I weigh the positives and negatives just like anyone else.Also I am not brand loyal. If it was another brand other than Fisher or Teknetics that worked that good in the iron and I was looking for something just for that kind of hunting it wouldn't make any difference to me what the brand was. The poster wanted some suggestions for detectors to work in the iron so I gave him some.I gave him what I thought was the best for what he wanted.

HH!
RonK

Hello RonK

I believe that you already have one of the BEST detectors for working in the iron IS your Classic lll SL, or one of the older Tesoros with manual ground balance, like a Bandido or Pantera.....MTB's

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: Ronk
Date: September 23, 2011 08:01PM
That's True! I am still pulling coins,rings,bullets,jewelry and other good non-ferrous out of iron.This is in a place that I have searched over and over till I thought I covered every square inch with a Classic 3SL Modified and fitted with a Hot little 5.5 inch Ferret Coil.Sometimes it's slow going with that small of coil but even that size I still overlap and come up with things I missed before.Sometimes I am amazed at how much metal is in the ground! Some areas seems like it's carpeted with metal.With the setup I described using the C3SL if I'm real careful and watch my sweep speed I can get between iron and pick out some very tiny good targets that I would otherwise miss with just a hair too fast sweep speed.This C3SL can work with faster or slower sweep speeds depending on the area and what's in the ground of course it IS designed as a Slow Sweep and fast recovery.Not quite as fast as some newer models but it does very well in the iron.
If a person uses the same detector for years like I have you really get to know the detector and what it's telling you.You can be just as successful as the person using the newer model.Sometimes maybe even more because You Know Your Machine! There are others out there that won't part with their older machines(Like Me) because it still performs an a lot of times even better than some newer detectors.They know their detector and they know what it will do instead of trying every new detector that comes on the scene.They are very careful about buying into hype as I am.The main thing is..It's what works for the individual in Their ground!
To each his own!

HH!
RonK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 08:03PM by Ronk.

Date: September 23, 2011 08:26PM
Ronk

If a person uses the same detector for years like I have you really get to know the detector and what it's telling you.You can be just as successful as the person using the newer model.Sometimes maybe even more because You Know Your Machine! There are others out there that won't part with their older machines(Like Me) because it still performs an a lot of times even better than some newer detectors.They know their detector and they know what it will do instead of trying every new detector that comes on the scene.They are very careful about buying into hype as I am.The main thing is..It's what works for the individual in Their ground!
To each his own!

HH!
RonK

Yep, I believe you hit the nail right on the head. That is a very good statement. :super:

John.

Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: September 23, 2011 09:22PM
Thanks John. That is the "key" knowing the detectors language. HH - Jim

john4840
earthlypotluck
The best detector I have ever owned for sniffing out goodies in iron is the Sovereign GT. Many "one way" high pitch signals I dug ended up being many silver dimes throughout this year alone and one large 1822 cent that was "sleeping" next to two iron nails. The area where I found the large cent, before using the Sovereign GT, I went over the same area with a couple of different high end detectors and they never even gave a hint something was there. With the results I experience with the detector, I wouldn't trade this detector for anything else out there. Just my opinion and 2 cents.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/success-stories/what-a-sight-to-behold-1

That is a nice coin you got. Yep that is what I have noticed about my Sovereign. I have pulled out silver mercs and barber dimes right in the middle rusted nails. Once you learn the Sovereign's language it is unbeatable. Yep never letting go of my Sovereign.

John

Posted by: :Left4Dead
Date: September 23, 2011 11:20PM
Their is some shady stuff out their yes, but some who have multiple detectors would know which do better in certain areas. Like some are better this way , some are better closer to playground poles,some pinpoint better, some work better in iron.

IMHO the cibola does better in iorn by far then the tek delta 4k, and the ace250. Which I all own. But it also costs more.

I have to agree with "earthpotluck".....
Posted by: fwcrawford
Date: September 24, 2011 04:53PM
I also have a Sovereign GT and have found many coins mixed with iron in sites that have been
heavily hunted and given up on.
Below are a couple of finds made within minutes of each other at an old home site that has been searched many times with more detectors than I can count and these coins were not found.
They were in two different holes about 8" apart and each hole had numerous nail fragments including the two pictured with the coins.
I was really amazed to make these finds so quickly and amazed at the Sovereigns ability to be able to detect the coins with all the debris in the hole with it.... made a believer out of me although I have done this before quite a few times at other sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 04:55PM by fwcrawford.

Re: I have to agree with "earthpotluck".....
Date: September 24, 2011 05:28PM
fwcrawford
I also have a Sovereign GT and have found many coins mixed with iron in sites that have been
heavily hunted and given up on.
Below are a couple of finds made within minutes of each other at an old home site that has been searched many times with more detectors than I can count and these coins were not found.
They were in two different holes about 8" apart and each hole had numerous nail fragments including the two pictured with the coins.
I was really amazed to make these finds so quickly and amazed at the Sovereigns ability to be able to detect the coins with all the debris in the hole with it.... made a believer out of me although I have done this before quite a few times at other sites.

Great finds, nice looking barbers.

John

Posted by: fwcrawford
Date: September 24, 2011 05:33PM
Thanks John,
I caught hell on another forum for scratching them while trying to get the date off of them in the field.. Oh well, now I know better.
Didn't realize they were in the condition they were until getting home and giving them a good cleaning in water.
Still the best condition coins in my collection by far.
Felix

Posted by: longbone
Date: September 25, 2011 09:10PM
I will say that all detectors I have owned or used were good detectors. I had 3 whites a 6000, an XLT, and one I forgot the model. ,3 radio shack discovery series 1100,2200,3300., 1 bounty hunter Time Ranger,1 teknetics Gamma,Fisher F4 ,F5and now F75.I found more gold rings with the 3300 than all my other machines together.I still have one I made water proof. The ground here can range from very low to high iron. The best discriminator is your brain learn what your machine is telling you.

Posted by: Hombre
Date: September 26, 2011 09:52AM
fwcrawford
Thanks John,
I caught hell on another forum for scratching them while trying to get the date off of them in the field.. Oh well, now I know better.
Didn't realize they were in the condition they were until getting home and giving them a good cleaning in water.
Still the best condition coins in my collection by far.
Felix

I've seen so many so called experts making videos on youtube (boob tube) showing us all how to metal detect, geez... I guess I really don't know how to do it the right way after a couple thounsand hours listening to a beeper to know what I'm doing. Once I see that the expert on the video rubs the dirt off the once nice silver coin coming out the ground, I discount his credibility and shut it off. Same thing with air tests, what does that show? Nothing! Done ranting, gone hunting.

" If in doubt, dig it out"

I use various analog detectors, knobs and switches rule.

Randy from south central Kansas

Posted by: woodchiphustler
Date: September 26, 2011 06:34PM
The XD 17 Micro and the Deeptech Vista RG 1000.

Posted by: amcjavelin
Date: September 27, 2011 08:01PM
I second that motion woodchiphustler!

Posted by: Hobo lobo
Date: September 27, 2011 10:10PM
I have been detecting since 1962 and have owned probably around a hundred detectors. The old TRs had the best iron discriminators. Of the vlfs I like the expanded iron range discrimation on the gold Bug Pro. and it has exceptional separation and at my age i like the lite weight JMOP Any vlf detector can be fooled at times, a round iron washer is hard to reject.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login