Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: 1877 coin given for change at local store....
Posted by: Mtnmn
Date: February 20, 2012 09:20PM
Last year I accidently spent a Rosie that I had just found earlier that day. Then a few weeks later was telling a friend about it, who's yard I was mowing and for one mowing he paid me in all circulated silver dimes (at their then current melt value). So didn't feel so bad about losing the Rosie after that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 09:27PM by Mtnmn.

Posted by: earthlypotluck
Date: February 21, 2012 06:25PM
Wow mtnmn I need to find some neighbors like that lol

Mtnmn
Last year I accidently spent a Rosie that I had just found earlier that day. Then a few weeks later was telling a friend about it, who's yard I was mowing and for one mowing he paid me in all circulated silver dimes (at their then current melt value). So didn't feel so bad about losing the Rosie after that...

Posted by: Tin Fin
Date: February 26, 2012 08:33PM
I got a 1957 silver Rosie in change from a vending machine at work. MDing has taught me to look at all the coins I get, or find on the street - have found some good ones just taking walks!

Posted by: so_ill_digger
Date: March 06, 2012 08:00PM
I've only gotten 1 silver rosie in change in the past few years. They don't come easy.

Posted by: silverman
Date: March 06, 2012 10:06PM
I got a 1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar in change about a month ago. I nearly passed out!

Posted by: deputydawg16
Date: March 07, 2012 05:24AM
Last year I got a gold plated penny in change, it had a state stamped on it

Date: March 07, 2012 07:10AM
Good for you on the silver half! The person handing it to you must of been blind? I am certainly not making fun of blind people, it is just beyond my comprehension how this coin could be mistaken for anything else in circulation. WOW

silverman
I got a 1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar in change about a month ago. I nearly passed out!

Date: March 07, 2012 07:14AM
Wow, somer people don't even care what they are handing over or they don't have a clue...

deputydawg16
Last year I got a gold plated penny in change, it had a state stamped on it

Posted by: Texas-Steve
Date: March 12, 2012 09:13PM
My friend owed me $100.00 so he went to the bank and got all in 1 dollar bills as a joke on me. As I went thru them I found 5 silver certificates. looks like the joke was on him.

Re: Dang...too bad that Indian head wasn't an 1877 !
Posted by: gilfordberry
Date: March 12, 2012 11:07PM
Just in case you're not aware of it....these rip-off coin machines they've got in the supermarkets these days -- you know, the ones that take your change and print you a receipt for 90% of whatever they took in (nice profit!) that you can cash at the checkout will often reject unusal coins - which wind up in the little rejected coin dispenser. I always check to see if a previous customer of the coin machine inadvertently left one of these rejected coins there. I have found several silver dimes, a silver quarter or two, and many foreign coins there. Strange that they accept clad junk and reject the genuine article, but..that's the case. The people who use these things would rather take a 10% hit on their piggy bank than take the time to roll up their coins, anyway, so it's not too surprising they either don't care about the reject coins or are too spaced out to notice, anyway....lol

Posted by: tcrews
Date: March 16, 2012 11:26PM
nice finds!!!

Posted by: McDean
Date: March 17, 2012 12:37AM
cool topic with a lot of neat finds! I tried coin roll hunting but never got lucky....

a co-worker found 2 wheaties laying on the parking lot at work. they were found seperately and on different days. but then this guy could step in crap and come out smelling like a rose. he told me a story about a dollar bill flying past his windshield while cruising down the highway. He locked it down and pulled over.... ended up finding over $500 in loose bills over a half mile or so walk...

Treasure is everywhere for those who look!

Date: March 17, 2012 06:49AM
The joke was surely on him lol. Good deal on your end! Thanks for sharing.

Texas-Steve
My friend owed me $100.00 so he went to the bank and got all in 1 dollar bills as a joke on me. As I went thru them I found 5 silver certificates. looks like the joke was on him.

Date: March 17, 2012 06:55AM
McDean,

I need to drive down the street with your co-worker lol. $500.00 blowing in the wind? He is in the right place at the right time. Thanks for sharing the story - Jim

McDean
cool topic with a lot of neat finds! I tried coin roll hunting but never got lucky....

a co-worker found 2 wheaties laying on the parking lot at work. they were found seperately and on different days. but then this guy could step in crap and come out smelling like a rose. he told me a story about a dollar bill flying past his windshield while cruising down the highway. He locked it down and pulled over.... ended up finding over $500 in loose bills over a half mile or so walk...

Treasure is everywhere for those who look!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login