Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: So you want to really waterproof your machine without using Tupperware?
Posted by: Larry (IL)
Date: February 25, 2012 11:04AM
Another way to look at it is if the majority of answers point in the same direction, it could be the voice of experience talking and not just baaaaaaaad advise.

Bells and whistles are nice, but nothing will substitute for the basic understanding of the hobby.

:minelab: CTX 3030, :whites: V3i

Posted by: Thound
Date: February 25, 2012 11:35AM
Baaaaaaaahh

I'm curious .............Badbaja
Posted by: Elton
Date: February 25, 2012 01:32PM
You say for better usage in the Northwest.. Is this to help you hunt in the rain with out worry of having detector damage due to water leakage ??
......................................Have you ever considered buying a Underwater detector, or a wader ??

If the treatment you speak of doesn't entail the total electronics, Knobs, etc.what do you have to gain by risking damage to your present unit ?????????? It still will not be water proof.

Seems like some people with experience, and or knowledge with a product in the past know from first hand info it didn't work.... Even caused damage to their equipment.

I know when we get an"Idea" in our head, and for one reason or another we embrace it whole hearted then try and share this "Marvelous" Idea with everyone we expect most to embrace what we thought with open arms and mind.............

I think we should also be willing to accept they may "NOT".Due to experience, or not wanting to put a valued piece of equipment in possible jeopardy of being damaged using an unknown product.

If you feel comfortable with the process you like DO IT !............ Don't get in a huff and accuse people of being sheep..... and saying one person leads them.. hey your one person trying to do the same thing........ lead them to getting their units water proofed......... Think about it fine Sir..............Have a nice day.If you do it Good Luck...... Hope it works..

Supporter Of Findmall Sponsors
Proud to be a findmall Moderator !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 01:34PM by Elton.

Posted by: Hank68
Date: February 25, 2012 04:29PM
It sounds similar to the coating that is on the board that is housed in a varible speed blower motor on the new A/C systems, because of the high moisture enviroment, the only problem is if the board malfunctions the makers just replace the board because its coated with silicone and can't desoldier out bad parts on the board. Certain appilications it works fine if the company is ok with changing boards out and not repairing them.

Posted by: BADBAJA
Date: February 26, 2012 11:08AM
I was nOt trying to lead anyone, just posting a product that that might be benificial.

If you would have read my post( which I have a feeling you just read but must not have understood the meaning of I am not dunking my machine) that means I am NOT trying to submerge it. Do you understand that? But let's say I am prospecting. I accidentally fall in the creek. Most guys would have to immediately pull batteries and wait for it to dry and the day is done. No more detecting that day or possibly ever with that maching right? Are you starting to formulate a even a minute thought now? That maybe a $65 coating that might save your
$1000 plus machine?

No need to buy a under water machine if I might only use it a few times if ever. Plus I have the options I want for the price I paid. I don't plan or never did plan on underwater detecting but it could happen and I would buy the appropriate machine.

Where are any of these products you speak of? You guys are comparing old technology with new stuff talking about products from the 70s. Lol what a joke c'mon grandpas times have changed. They also used to think in the 70s that cigarettes were OK for you and that seatbelts don't save lives right? Are you still on the if it ain't broke don't fix it. Then this product is probably not for you or a lot of other products like video chat, remember in the 70s if you were to say video chat will be in the future they would have laughed at you. You might get older but technology will keep prevailing, it's what it does.

About only being able to waterproof the board. You can replace plugs, buttons, LCD screens, wires, displays and meters. The brain on the other hand would be the the most expensive part to replace If even replaceable. By brain I mean the main circuit board or boards. So why would it be a big deal to resolder a plug if needed.

Again just putting this out there. I could care less if any of you use it and I am sure your detecting manufacturers are just hoping your high dollar machines hit the water cause then you would be buying another.

It's dry here so time to swing Have a good day

Posted by: BarberBill
Date: February 26, 2012 11:47AM
I wasn't gong to post on this, but changed my mind. Every time I read a post where someone wants to "waterproof" a land detector I wonder why go to that much effort rather than just getting a water detector in the first place? While you mention the problem with northwest rain, again I wonder why anyone would spend much time detecting in the rain? I've been caught in the rain a time or two when attending club sponsored, seeded hunts and got by with a make do plastic rain cover, but the experience generally is uncomfortable, wet, muddy and dirty. Certainly not my idea of fun detecting.

If you do decide to go with this treatment, keep us posted as it'll be interesting to learn how it works out.
BB

North Idaho - A bunch of Tesoros, 3 Whites, Gray Ghosts, Sunray probe
If you don't dig it, you'll never know!

Date: February 26, 2012 11:51AM
I read it and do understand, I wasn't talking about a detector for underwater use, if you read mine which I'm sure you did,with the post above, I said high moisture enviroment not underwater, that's what I was referring to about the motor being in a moist place since it works off DC current, I wasn't belittling you or questioning you, try it out it may be a solution to salt water problems who knows.

Posted by: BADBAJA
Date: February 26, 2012 12:09PM
I don't detect in the rain at all. Once It starts I usually high tail it inside. Very light mist is ok. I got this machine to have fun and in the rain or fighting the ocean does not sound like fun. Now the rewards the ocean swingers get are amazing. Back on topic.

Also The perspiration here is horrible. Anyone that owns guns knows when you come inside from the cold into a warm environment your guns or detectors will sweat. I usually just wrap the weapons in a towelle or blanket. The detector I leave outside In garage which I don't like. If the coating is legit you wouldn't care if you seen it sweat, fall in a creek or get the occasional drizzle or downpour. I really hope it works is all.

Not trying to turn this thread into a "what detector you should have bought" thread.

Posted by: Sailorman
Date: February 26, 2012 12:31PM
Honestly you have some issues badbaja. I was talking 90s not 70s. One day when you grow up you'll have seen plenty of technology failures yourself and perhaps have learned a bit about polite discourse. As for me I think i've had enough of rude children.

Oh, and if you think i'm an old fossil with no knowledge of technology I make my living in CAD/CAM where I watch lots of cutting edge technology that fails to live up to it's claims. Occasionally something does and we get a pleasant surprise.

See ya...

Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher Gold Bug 2, 2 Pro Pointers and a probe rod.

Date: February 26, 2012 12:33PM
Its been along time since I hunted the beach and I think it would help out a lot with mist issues. Hank. Good luck,

Posted by: earthmansurfer
Date: February 26, 2012 12:49PM
BADBAJA
To be honest you just sound like sheeple. One person does not think it works or is skepticle and you all follow each other like lost sheep. Then you just regurgitate what other people said. Reread your posts. Open your mind. You can think on your own yOu know.

Trust me I am in no way upset just stating what I see. Everyone wants new stuff but no one wants to try it. NOt me as soon as my warranty runs dry I am sending my xterra brain in. I am just trying to make mine more water resistant to this northwest weather. I never once said I would dunk my machine even though they say it's water proof.

So I will let you go back to answering your same questions about which detector is best for silver, or which detector goes deepest since that keeps the sheep safe.

I don't understand your blanket statement ("sheeple") as there was a variety of replies to you, quite clearly. To group that as sheeple, well that is judgemental. You mean you know and researched everyone who posted heres other posts that quickly and were able to make such a blanket statement? :thumbdown:

I do believe the product works but also believe what Larry said (and others) that a detector is different and if you only send in the main board, what about all the other parts! Now, if everything is waterproofed, then that makes sense, but would probably be both cost prohibitive as well as a bit complicated for the average user.

I have ordered quite a few coils that few have had just to try them out and then sell them at a loss at a later date - just to try them out and share the information. I quite like trying new things.

EMS

Signum 7272M
Detector - E-Trac
Pro-Pointer w/ Sidekick (supertuner)
Lesche Knife

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
Yoda

Posted by: TerraDigger
Date: February 26, 2012 02:44PM
From a non-emotional viewpoint, just coating the mainboard only will really do nothing. I'll assume the treatment works. You have electrical current going through multiple non-treated components. From a strictly electronic methodology of operation, the machine will ultimately fail/develop issues if exposed to excess moisture. Also, if moisture causes a electrical shorting/surging, it affects the internal pathways of the electrical components, so an external coating will not necessarily prevent damage to a component.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.