Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Best detector for under $300
Posted by: will2993
Date: August 08, 2013 09:58PM
Hello newbie here looking to get a detector for under $300 and wanted some opinions on what to purchase. I will mainly be going after coins at schools, old home sites and parks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Best detector for under $300
Posted by: ralph
Date: August 08, 2013 10:30PM
most all the american mfg have good starter units. I prefer whites/garrets but thats just me. Talk to a forum sponsor, the region where u will search can make a difference (ground minerals). ur personal style,(like to cover ground or search methodically) can also

mxt with 3x9 hotfoot,ace250,atpro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 10:34PM by ralph.

Posted by: matthias
Date: August 09, 2013 07:06AM
Hey there. IMHO a Garrett Ace 250 or a Fisher F2 would be decent. Don't forget you'll want a good pin-pointer too. Good luck and happy hunting. Matt

Posted by: Robert2300
Date: August 09, 2013 08:56AM
Go to the Teknetics Forum here and check out
the EuroTech Pro...The machine is new and in
the price range you mentioned. The machine is
getting good reviews.
Robr2300

Posted by: ohmygato
Date: August 09, 2013 10:03AM
Just turned a friend onto the Garret Ace 250 and he is quite happy with it. There are other machines out there that a lot of people like in that price range. Make sure you budget for a nice pinpointer and digger too. Those would be the Garret Propointer and the Lesche digger, respectively.

Posted by: sprchng
Date: August 09, 2013 12:45PM
Keep one eye on craigslist.
There's been a Garrett Ace 350 and pro pointer on sale here for 2 benjamins. Lot's of lightly used machines will show up before Winter.

Posted by: Rainyday101
Date: August 09, 2013 10:21PM
I would recommend the Tesor Silver uMax. About $250. Good depth. Set the disc. just before Zinc penny and dig coins all day. If you want a display I second the EuroTech Pro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 10:22PM by Rainyday101.

Posted by: Humble Hunter
Date: August 11, 2013 04:43PM
I would highly recommend Tesoro, they have lifetime warranty. If you want to start of with an optimum detector, I would suggest a used Tesoro Vaquero on e-bay for around $ 300.00. Happy hunting.

Posted by: tabman
Date: August 11, 2013 07:13PM
A Tesoro Compadre ($165) + a Garrett Pro Pointer ($125) is a duo that's hard to bet.

I know that I did really well with that combination when I got started and still do today.

A Tesoro Silver ÁMax is another good choice for a few dollars more.

tabman

Tesoro Tejon * Tesoro Outlaw * Fisher F75SE * Tesoro Compadre * Modded Cibola * Tesoro Golden u-Max * Bandido II ÁMax * Tesoro Silver uMax * Teknetics G2 * AT Pro * Tesoro Deleon * Garrett Pro Pointers * Lesche Trowels * Killer B Wasp Headphones * Predator Tool Little Eagle & Dixie Shovels

Posted by: Hobo lobo
Date: August 12, 2013 09:37AM
For under 300?............... TESORO

Posted by: Ken/CO
Date: August 14, 2013 11:24AM
Tesoro Silver uMax!

Posted by: auximenes
Date: August 14, 2013 08:19PM
It's not the newest unit, but you can get a Teknetics Gamma 6000 for $200 on eBay if you're patient. I got one for that price and it was almost mint, teh box was opened but nothing was touched inside. I've been happy with the unit so far.

Posted by: GoVidGo
Date: August 15, 2013 12:12AM
This vs That detector and so on.....

get a good digger (like a Lesche) and a pin pointer (like a Pro Pointer) and spend the rest on the detector.

less time spent looking for the find or in a bad plug is time lost scanning for more treasure!

Within no time you'll be upgrading on what you found. I have a Etrac, V3i, and AT Pro that have paid for themself 10-fold!

Posted by: WV62
Date: August 19, 2013 09:10AM
GoVidGo

get a good digger (like a Lesche) and a pin pointer (like a Pro Pointer) and spend the rest on the detector.

less time spent looking for the find or in a bad plug is time lost scanning for more treasure!

Within no time you'll be upgrading on what you found. I have a Etrac, V3i, and AT Pro that have paid for themself 10-fold!

GoVidGo, What are you finding that is worth that kind of money? In the last 3 years my finds may cover the cost of one or two coils that I bought used.

Ron in WV

Worked and lived in West Virginia all my life, retired 2010
Vietnam Veteran (68-69 & 70-71)
Started getting into metal detecting around 1975

Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: August 19, 2013 02:13PM
WV62
GoVidGo

GoVidGo, What are you finding that is worth that kind of money? In the last 3 years my finds may cover the cost of one or two coils that I bought used.

Ron in WV

I too have had mine for three years next month and NO WAY I have even paid for half of my V3i. The clad, which I've yet to cash in, makes the difference over time. I suspect that the only people paying for their detectors with finds have to be beach hunters finding jewelry. Come to Texas(non-beach) and try to pay for a detector with finds. A day finding $3 of simple clad is a good day around here.

Back to the point though, do get the ProPointer and a good digger and THEN as much detector as you can afford. It'll make all the difference in the world if you do it first off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login