Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
AT Pro vs. Whites MXSport
Posted by: Gregg77
Date: February 26, 2017 03:08PM
I'm a couple summers into detecting with a Garrett Ace 350. Going to upgrade to???? I have used a few times the AT Pro. Interested in the MX Sport because The features caught my attention. Looking for input from those more knowledgeable. Thanks Gregg

Re: AT Pro vs. Whites MXSport
Posted by: DiggerDanbo
Date: March 03, 2017 07:50AM
I am also considering these 2 detectors I will see where this goes.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: March 05, 2017 01:14PM
MXS is a hit and miss--AT Pro is proven.

Posted by: dan b
Date: March 05, 2017 02:25PM
I was considering this exact same thing. I just picked up an ATPro from the classified section. I'll see how it goes. I'm a Tesoro guy but I'm going into this with an open mind. If I can't wrap my head around it I'll try to trade it for a Tiger Shark.

Dan

Current detectors:
:garrett: ATPro
Previously owned: :tesoro:, :garrett:, :fisher: , :teknetics:, :minelab:, and :whites:

Posted by: Pastor bob
Date: March 06, 2017 08:08AM
AT Pro without a doubt. I hunt with a guy that has a top of the line White's. We have gone over the same signals and he says he would not dig what I perceive to be a good signal. I outhunt him every time. IMO White's is a dying company. Their machines weigh a lot and don't seem to have near the following they used to. The AT Pro when learned, is a top notch machine and it is water proof.

Posted by: coinhunterseth
Date: March 06, 2017 03:24PM
Pastor bob
AT Pro without a doubt. I hunt with a guy that has a top of the line White's. We have gone over the same signals and he says he would not dig what I perceive to be a good signal. I outhunt him every time. IMO White's is a dying company. Their machines weigh a lot and don't seem to have near the following they used to. The AT Pro when learned, is a top notch machine and it is water proof.

I have to say, I'm liking my top of the line whites more than my ATP currently. Definitely a deeper machine and the true AM and stereo mixed modes are pretty great. In heavy iron the ATP is definitely still the better machine though.

:whites: Spectra V3i 10" d2 and 4x6 shooter coils, Digmaster shovel/knife
:garrett: AT Pro 8.5x11 and 5x8 DD coils, ProPointer AT
:tesoro: Mojave 7" coil

Posted by: voorhees231
Date: March 11, 2017 02:27PM
I beg to differ. I am a 5 year user to the Whites V3i and have friends that have the Garrett AT Pro. We both have had amazing finds although the depth falls with the V3i. Iron discrimination could be a toss up between the 2 models but I have just bought a MX Sport and targets seem to be popping out of the iron infested sites. I would research both models a little more, and don't count out the MX Sport. Give this video a watch "MX Sport vs Iron." Pretty impressive video for a middle of the road detector.

Whites V3i, MX Sport, M6, 10" DD, 9.5, 5.3 Concentric. Whites TRX, Detector Pro Pistol Probe. Oldest Coin 1854 Seated Dime.

Posted by: Russ88
Date: March 14, 2017 12:30AM
Has anyone used both the MXSport and the ATPro that could give a good comparison of the two detectors both pros and cons without any bias of the two manufacturers. I think alot of us would like to know the thoughts of someone that has used both. Your input would be very valuable.

Posted by: Sneakyweasel
Date: March 14, 2017 12:13PM
I've used both and replied on another AT Pro vs MXS thread. HERE

Posted by: WaterHound
Date: March 14, 2017 06:38PM
Russ88 ,sure I can give my opinion on my AT pro vs MX sport , first I like them both, lately I have been using the MX sport , in ice cold fresh water and on land for many hours. OK at first I expected the MX to perform like the tried and tested AT pro my first machine , no way ! In fact l complained on the whites forum and got spanked by a few , its more sensitive than a baby with diaper rash ,with sensitivity turned completely off it still gets4 to 6 inches depth. Its a hot rock, pop cap , and the aluminum of every size machine . and l had to modify the arm cuff because the small plastic pieces on the back side of the arm cuff that fit into thin slits to hold the cuff stable broke off to easy, and the one screw holding the cuff on wasn't enough and in water drag it started to spin no mater how much I tighten the screw ,it took 3 screws with washers to keep it stable, for water use . I am glad they had 2 other screw holes for cuff adjustments now ! It will find a small gold chain or earring or bobby pin or twisty tie deep ,especially in Prospect or all metal. Modes, and if theirs a men's lunker class ring over a foot deep with volume and sensitivity and saturation turned up the MX will let you know its their , its a beast on aluminum the gold Range and low conductives, and yes it does find coins, its coils slice through the water much smoother than the AT pro ,and on sandbars where rings can be deep or any type of gold hunting it will be great . but I would not recommend the MX to a beginner ,I did take the advice along with the butt chewing and turned the machine down and stayed away from trashy areas and learn how to use the machine , the AT pro ,i found in one season water hunting 8 gold rings 1 gold tooth , 30 silver rings and 40 cheap rings and 700.00 in mostly quarters its tones are clearer, and ID is right on , its refreshing to use again , and its deep enough for most fresh water targets , I might buy a mars shaft so it can collapse and have a better hand grip , truly a fine detector and Garretts service is excellent . I found out that I don't need 6 modes and a Carnival of tones , just an AT pro to find the gold . over all I would go for the AT pro , yes the MX is deeper and I have the extra coils , but if I had to make the choice again I would buy a AT gold or Excalibur, even if I get a verbal assault after this post. Your friend waterhound

Date: March 14, 2017 10:10PM
Obviously I need to learn how to condense a post like the other fellas , my opinion on these detectors was based on hours of use in water and land not just a back yard test patch or two trips to a tot lot, and the MX sport has more choices than the AT pro , that's true and nice if someone wants to play around with other modes , but for my type of hunting just coin and jewelry and prospecting mode gets the job done , and I don't really think the MX sport will find more than the AT pro except out in the gold fields for nuggets , and deeper sand_targets, gold is good! But a thin gold chain is just that ! Thin , but lm basically a water and land jewelry hunter , I purchased the MX sport because I wanted a back up water machine . And could not afford an excalibur ,now! I have learned a lot about forums ,warranties ,modifying , and take the time to learn a detector before I get frustrated and make a bad post , all revolving around the MX sport, I think the next water machine from whites will be even better. But if someone asked me what I would recommend for a water machine, i would say AT. Pro , for now ! Here's my best tip ! Its all about coverage , and willingness to dig , most machines will tell you a target is down there ! That's from a 30 year veteran detectorist I hunt with , and he's a minelab and MX user .

Date: March 15, 2017 04:48AM
Its not rock science ! I just had to use both of these detectors so much that my wife wished they never invented them , and when I came home at night , cut my truck engine , coast into the driveway , crawl into bed gently , give her a kiss , and tell her she's still my best treasure. And she will say RIGHT ! Is that why you named them brenda and sally .

Date: March 15, 2017 10:48AM
Guys nice talking to you ! BUT ! I here tboykins buddy's coming , remember the company's hat should be a promotional freebie ! See you next time on waterhounds truth on the run , KA boom !

Date: March 16, 2017 09:49PM
Found a 10 k. Diamond ring today with the MX sport , I did say it was good on gold ! The diamond was nice one , got it in the river at the YMCA boat launch. It hit solid at 10 or 12 foil range ,

Date: March 17, 2017 07:22AM
AT. Pro ! I purchased a cores detonation coil 13 by 14 for more ground coverage its heavy , next time I will buy the cannon 14 by 10 for more ground coverage , its light and longer from tip to toe , it wasn't depth I wanted , anyone want to trade , AT pro is used a lot ,when I look at lower michigan metal detecting clubs in their group photographs AT pros are everywhere. , A owner of a metal detecting store in lower mi said for a long time minelab owners were getting the best finds ! But now it seems that A T. Pro. Owners are. Cost is a big part of that , water proofing , and clear tones , good ID , its just a nice detector , I do hope if Garrett ever makes a newer model of the A.T. pro they will change the hand grip , and do something about the cam locks on the shaft , if sand gets in them its very hard to twist them open , that's why I'm considering mars shaft for the AT pro . after owning other detectors after the AT. Pro is when I realized how nice how nice the A.T. pro was even in its simple turn on and go style .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login