Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: AT Pro vs. Whites MXSport
Posted by: Tahts-a-dats-ago
Date: March 19, 2017 12:55PM
Russ88 -

With the mention of the 950 coil and headphones (for the Sport) I thought it best that I mention a couple of things.

My understanding is that the 950 coil is superior to the stock coil when it comes to salt water hunting. I do not know that for sure, but it has been claimed in multiple reviews and I have no reason to doubt it.

The 950 is on my shortlist of things to get. I just prefer concentric coils most of the time and want to give that coil a whirl.

Whites does have the Sport Accessory pack - the 950 coil, the 6 X 10 DD coil, a hat, and a bag. That retails for $284 on Whites electronics. It is likely that a sponsor (here) can give a better price.

The headphones that come with the Sport are NOT waterproof. You'd need to buy a pair of waterproof headphones (about $100 for the Whites waterproof headphones) if you're planning to hunt in scenarios where the box/headphones could get wet. I went with the waterproof headphones because the risk was too great (in my mind) if I didn't.

Regarding the AT Pro - based entirely upon my friend's experiences - you might wish to take a good look at the 5 X 8 coil. It is a deadly coil for trashy areas and seems to go pretty deep. She loves it so much that it never leaves her AT Pro.

I have seen comments on the new machine (coming from Garretts). According to some, their new machine is not a replacement for the AT Pro, but an addition to that line. Take it with a grain of salt, as I have no means to verify that. It could be an awesome machine or it could be a sidewise move that will have small appeal to the general detecting population. Only time will tell.

The AT Pro is a less expensive machine (compared to the MX Sport) even after the necessary accessories are factored in. That certainly is a big plus for the AT Pro.

I would encourage you to try both machines out, if possible. You might want to join a local detecting club - someone will almost certainly have an AT Pro to try for a bit and it is very possible that someone would have the MX Sport as well. It is also a good idea to check with your local metal detector dealer - they probably carry multiple brands and you can try several out at the same time.

I would also encourage you to contact several of the forum sponsors. Ask them for their best price on the machines/accessories you're interested in and explain the fact that you'll purchase a machine from the person with the best price.

I believe all of the forum sponsors are great and will bend over backwards to help you.

There are 3 forum sponsors that I have purchased items from and I highly recommend all 3 of them.

Backwoods Metal Detecting - email is best. His name is Richard.

Indian Nations Metal Detecting - phone or email. His name is Chuck.

Barts Big Boys Hobbies - phone or email. His name is Bart.

All 3 are avid hunters themselves, and all 3 will gladly answer your questions before and after the sale. They'll also take in trades if you're so inclined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 01:05PM by Tahts-a-dats-ago.

Posted by: Russ88
Date: March 19, 2017 03:20PM
Tahts-a-dats-ago.....Thanks for your reply. All good information and very helpful. Some things I am aware of already. Yes I heard of the different coils and applications,of the 950 on the Sport and the 5 x 8 on the Pro. I heard the same about the ATPro as I talked directly to Garrett a few days ago that the new ATPro will be an addition to not a replacement of the ATPro. It will be part of the ATPro family. Should be very interesting to see what that means when it is all done. I like your idea of trying it out. I know someone that has an ATPro....I suspect we can meet up so I can see first hand on how it operates. I do not know anyone that has an MXSport however. That would be extremely helpful. I heard the MXSport has a water package now that includes the water headphones. All the contacts you listed are great reminders of the sources available.... As far as researching.....that is fun and is part of the joy of the journey...Thanks again

Russ88

Posted by: WaterHound
Date: March 19, 2017 04:21PM
Looks to me someones trying to sell something , I was just giving an opinion on two machines I own , of course I don't have five machines from the same company , so I'm not an expert ! I am sure whites will send extra screws and washers to strengthen the arm cuff , good luck you've been warned

Date: March 19, 2017 06:12PM
WaterHound
Looks to me someones trying to sell something , I was just giving an opinion on two machines I own , of course I don't have five machines from the same company , so I'm not an expert ! I am sure whites will send extra screws and washers to strengthen the arm cuff , good luck you've been warned

If you're referring to me, you are incorrect. I am not trying to sell a thing - not my machines and most certainly not someone else's machine. I don't care what machine someone has or is thinking about buying - I don't make a single dime on their purchase and it isn't my money being spent.

I commended you for giving your opinion. I really don't understand why my comments rub you the wrong way. People asked about the MX Sport and I've attempted to answer their questions to the best of my ability. That is NOT a slight against you, nor have I suggested the AT Pro is anything but a fine machine with a lot of satisfied users.

I am not an expert on Whites machines; I am merely someone who owns some of their products and believe that their machines are very capable for my intended use. I have simply shared what information I am aware of, with regards to the MX Sport.

Sadly I own only 4 Whites machines. I hope to rectify that someday by purchasing a new, improved, waterproof V3i. I'm also keeping my eyes on the Tesoro Mojave and I'll be looking the new Patriot over, from Teknetics, once it is officially released (and some user-reports come back). I'm also intrigued by the Garretts GTI 2500; despite being warned against that machine by a good number of people.

I too am sure that Whites will rectify any problems that I may incur with my Whites machines. I'm also sure that Garretts will rectify any problems I might incur with my Garretts pin-pointers.

Thank you for warning me about the good service that I can expect should there be a problem with one of my machines. I'd warn you in kind, but I'm convinced that you have already experienced the good service that can be expected from the company that manufactured your machine.

Buy a Garret, or a Fisher, or a Whites, or a Minelab, or a Tesoro, or a Makro, or a Nokta, or a Teknetics, or something else entirely - I don't care because it isn't my money being spent and I'm not getting a commission on any detector being sold. I don't knock other brands because I believe they all make great machines that will get the job done. In fact I'd own one of every machine currently offered if money were no object.

My sole objective (here) is to offer input when people ask questions about products that I have some experience with. I've explicitly stated the fact - multiple times actually - that I have no hunting experience with the AT Pro. I've stated my belief that the AT Pro is a fine machine - but not a machine for me (because of the screen). If someone has done their research and believes the AT Pro is the right machine for them, they should buy the AT Pro. I do not know how I could make my opinion more clear than that.

The inclusion of forum sponsors (dealers) in my above post is merely an expression of my great experiences with all 3. I believe that all 3 of those sponsors also carry Garrett machines and my suggestion was to contact all 3 dealers and ask them for the best price on the machine chosen by the prospective buyer. I was attempting to help both the buyer and the forum by suggesting those 3 forum sponsors. I also noted my belief that the forum sponsors, not mentioned in my post, would also provide great buying experiences and that they should be contacted as well.

Date: March 19, 2017 09:17PM
Wow! I guess you told me ! Your such a smart man , Whites has you and many others lined up and ready to buy the next awnser to all your detecting needs , ding ding zombies , it doesn't matter to whites if a guy has five all ready , Their strategy is like taco bell ,the same ingredients just a different wrapper, and let's hold it above are heads and drop it on the ground , and make a few u tubes with coins lined up , I had a noisy hot rock , beer cap , and junk of all size MXT , I was fooled to buy after watching their metal detecting across america movie , and sold it , then I allowed myself to be dazzled onto buying the MX sport , its called a water machine ? And I'm sure its OK in the mother and baby zone of the shore line , but after serious water testing it turned into a rickety , can't keep the tiny screw tight , crappy arm cuff , over powered , hot rock licking , beer cap sniffin . beast ! That happens to look nice , and to top it off they have a spokes person when someone really trys to nail him down on something , makes excuses or blames detectorist , and then says he's joking , your darn right when Russ 88 asked my opinion I told him the truth about the MX sport , my conscience I have to live with if you and other whites users want to be blinded by brand loyalty go ahead , whites engineers need to study the stress put on plastic parts by water drag , resistance ,pressure , waves and currents .and use better fasteners , if they want to make a sturdy water machine like minelab Garretts and Tesoro ! And don't just test it in a factory tub . read em and weep ! And get ready to give Russ 88 a cry cloth if someone talks him into a being a whites zombie . warterhound

Date: March 19, 2017 09:20PM
Their is a life after whites !

Date: March 19, 2017 09:31PM
obviously with all the electronics problems and other issue the MX sport is still in demo phase ,

Date: March 19, 2017 09:41PM
I guess america is whites test patch, not in my back yard !

Date: March 19, 2017 11:51PM
WaterHound
Wow! I guess you told me ! Your such a smart man , Whites has you and many others lined up and ready to buy the next awnser to all your detecting needs , ding ding zombies , it doesn't matter to whites if a guy has five all ready , Their strategy is like taco bell ,the same ingredients just a different wrapper, and let's hold it above are heads and drop it on the ground , and make a few u tubes with coins lined up , I had a noisy hot rock , beer cap , and junk of all size MXT , I was fooled to buy after watching their metal detecting across america movie , and sold it , then I allowed myself to be dazzled onto buying the MX sport , its called a water machine ? And I'm sure its OK in the mother and baby zone of the shore line , but after serious water testing it turned into a rickety , can't keep the tiny screw tight , crappy arm cuff , over powered , hot rock licking , beer cap sniffin . beast ! That happens to look nice , and to top it off they have a spokes person when someone really trys to nail him down on something , makes excuses or blames detectorist , and then says he's joking , your darn right when Russ 88 asked my opinion I told him the truth about the MX sport , my conscience I have to live with if you and other whites users want to be blinded by brand loyalty go ahead , whites engineers need to study the stress put on plastic parts by water drag , resistance ,pressure , waves and currents .and use better fasteners , if they want to make a sturdy water machine like minelab Garretts and Tesoro ! And don't just test it in a factory tub . read em and weep ! And get ready to give Russ 88 a cry cloth if someone talks him into a being a whites zombie . warterhound

Some say I am a smart man; others would disagree. But I do thank you for your vote of confidence. :clap:

I have 2 Garrett pin pointers. Are you saying Garrett wouldn't want to sell me another pin pointer?

Is 4 the magic number that launches good companies into fits where they refuse to sell the same buyer more of their machines?

Am I just sort of a zombie since I only have 4 Whites machines?

Does this whole Zombie thingy apply to owners of other brands too, or is it restricted to Whites machines only?

What about those crazy people who own dozens of machines, are they Zombies too?

Does this Zombie thingy roll over to vehicles too?

I'm deeply concerned about this whole Zombie thing. I mean there are people who collect sharp, pointy, things just in case we Whites owners decide to rise out of our slumber to wage war upon the non-Whites machine people. Imagine the horror as the Whites owners greedily grab up all the great hunting spots with their incapable machines; the poor non-Whites machine owners could do nothing but stare helplessly as the Whites Zombies rambled aimlessly about, finding nothing with their inferior machines while ruining it all for everyone else. Think of all those gold rings now lost forever because some Zombie's machine couldn't see anything but bottle caps and trash. Heck it is possible that the sudden explosion of found bottle caps would ruin the bottle cap market for good. Trust me, nobody but those damn Whites Zombies want that to happen. It's a good thing that you've notified the world; I only pray that you're not too late.

By the way, do I get a "pass" on the whole Zombie thing since I own machines that aren't Whites? I know it's too much to hope for, but I felt it necessary that I ask (just in case).

I can assure you of the fact that the 4 Whites machines I own are not "the same ingredients with different wrappers." I'd be quite upset if they were.

I can't help you with your arm cuff problem. The last I knew you had fixed the problem by using two more screws with washers - not a problem that would trouble me in the slightest (but your mileage may vary). I can say that I haven't had an issue with the arm cuff on any of my machines. Maybe I'm just lucky?:shrug:

I do not know of a machine out there that doesn't get fooled by bottle caps once in a while. In fact bottle caps are one of the reasons I prefer concentric coils, but I can usually figure them out for what they are with the stock DD coil. I think it is a matter of learning the machine.

You posted your experience with your MX Sport. I posted my experience with my MX Sport. I fail to see how your experience matters more than mine.

I don't know what Whites engineers should or should not do. I am not an engineer at Whites, so I'll leave it all up to them and make my choices long after they've made their choices.

As I stated in a different thread: I believe the "spokesperson" from Whites did an excellent job in spite of the bad situation. I don't see why my opinion should bother you in the slightest and I don't really care that it does. Your little rant against Whites doesn't affect the way my machines work.

Brand loyal?

Sure I like Whites machines. I also like Tesoro machines, Fisher machines, Teknetics machines, Minelab machines, and... wait for it.... Garretts machines. I like Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and Nissan too.

I doubt Whites would consider me all that brand loyal: I own stuff from Tesoro, Fisher, Teknetics, Garretts, and Minelab and I'm pretty sure that every one of those other companies would like it if I purchased more stuff from them.

I don't have to loathe the other companies to like Whites.

Rest assured that I appreciate your approval of my choice to own a Tesoro (and the Minelabs that I did own). It eases my troubled mind knowing you approve, but I cannot understand how you can discern the validity of machines that you have not used. I would never do such a thing, but I'm not really all that brand loyal and I'm not desperately trying to sell some stranger, on a forum, a machine based on my being butt-hurt because some "spokesperson" didn't say the things I wanted him to say.

Your mileage seems to vary.

According to you, I'm a "liberal" (that one is hilarious for reasons you couldn't comprehend) a "Zombie" a salesman for Whites and a bad guy (for owning 4 - not 5 - Whites machines)(I did just purchase the TRX though, so I guess 5 will be correct). You did call me a "smart guy" though, so I have that going for me.

I'm seeing a pattern here. You did claim to have anger problems (in an earlier post) and it seems that you might know yourself well. But that doesn't excuse your illogical leaps, nor does it excuse your penchant for name-calling. I don't care that you have some kind of weird love/hate thing for Whites; that is your prerogative and I wouldn't consider trying to talk you out of it.

If someone chooses to purchase a Whites machine, the onus is on them. It would be the choice they made and I'd wish them luck with their new machine. I'd do the exact same thing (wish them luck with their new machine) no matter which choice they made. Like I said several times previously: it isn't my money and I'm not getting a commission on their purchase.

I will mention one other thing prior to calling it a night. Were I in the market for a new machine and you were carrying on as you have been, the machine you've been pushing would be stricken from my potential buy list. I'm funny about silly crap like you've been pulling; your little outbursts would convince me that your favorite machine was not something I'd give a second thought. I don't know if others are like that, but you might want to reconsider the bile you've been flinging; it isn't going to chase people away from Whites and it sure won't draw people to the AT Pro.

Garretts deserves better and so do the people who are considering the AT Pro (or any other manufacturer's machine).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 11:56PM by Tahts-a-dats-ago.

Date: March 19, 2017 11:53PM
Russ88
Tahts-a-dats-ago.....Thanks for your reply. All good information and very helpful. Some things I am aware of already. Yes I heard of the different coils and applications,of the 950 on the Sport and the 5 x 8 on the Pro. I heard the same about the ATPro as I talked directly to Garrett a few days ago that the new ATPro will be an addition to not a replacement of the ATPro. It will be part of the ATPro family. Should be very interesting to see what that means when it is all done. I like your idea of trying it out. I know someone that has an ATPro....I suspect we can meet up so I can see first hand on how it operates. I do not know anyone that has an MXSport however. That would be extremely helpful. I heard the MXSport has a water package now that includes the water headphones. All the contacts you listed are great reminders of the sources available.... As far as researching.....that is fun and is part of the joy of the journey...Thanks again

Russ88

You are welcome Russ88.

I hope you enjoy whichever machine you choose and wish you much luck in using the machine of your choice.

Date: March 19, 2017 11:54PM
WaterHound
Their is a life after whites !

Not if the Zombies get you.

I'm just sayin'

Date: March 20, 2017 12:17AM
WaterHound
obviously with all the electronics problems and other issue the MX sport is still in demo phase ,

Please expound your theory.

As an owner of a MX Sport, it is in my best interests to know all the details about these horrible problems. This is the first I'm hearing of them and my own experiences suggest that the earlier problems are all in the past (much as it is with the AT Pro).

(Please forgive me for mentioning the fact that the AT Pro also had tons of problems when that machine was first released - all corrected now, much to the pleasure of those who own the AT Pro)

Would it be wrong of me to dump such a defective piece of equipment on some poor unsuspecting buyer? Or am I stuck being a member of the undead: forever tormented by the cruel Whites overlords who force me to dig bottle cap after bottle cap while the other kids dig nothing but silver and gold?

Posted by: HanoverDigger
Date: March 20, 2017 08:44AM
Hey buddy, I can say from my experience with the Sport has been positive. It is deep from what I have found so far and is easy to learn. Can't comment on the AT Pro. I believe the previous issues on the Sport have been corrected. Good luck on whichever one you go with.

* White's Mxt* Nautilus 2b w/ GG DMC headphones * Garrett At Max*Lesche Piranah* Garrett propointer* The "bomb" sheath w/Lesche digger* Deteknix W6 pro headphones* Oldest coin 1776 2 Reale

Date: March 20, 2017 09:10AM
Your not listening the MX sport is not ready for serious water hunting , I'm not impressed with how many pen pointers you have , yes you are stuck being a flunky zombie to a company who's got you buying the next peace of gunk , your words seem interesting like the first lawyer who talks , but then after I take the MX out in the water again its structual engineering flaws are evident , what part of that don't you understand , did you get your loyalty feelings hurt , when I read the forums and someone gives their opinion ,and then has a list of everything they own , what's that all about , am I supposed two be impressed ? Maybe whites was pressed to put out a water machine by its never satisfy customers who have money to through away , like you , but 800.00 dollars is a big investment to most people , and the only one they can buy , and buying the MX sport is not real wise ,considering all of the problems .The AT pro is tried and tested , but there are people that will ignore warnings from Serious users ! And buy a detector because it has a bigger screen that lights up or more bells and whistles , tboykin was right when when he said they will address those problems in the next generation ,because people like you and me unfortunately will buy them anyway , my wife and I have realized in america your gonna get ripped off but its up to us not to have it done again , and to warn others . I doubt many people like you actually take it out in water for any amount of time , in differnt water conditions , instead you have them hanging like trophies on your walls and brag about how many you have . serious buyers are not always serious users . but I am sure you or someone will respond back with something slippery to say or a list of what the machine can do , instead of a honest evaluation after extensive use in different conditions .

Date: March 20, 2017 09:39AM
Russ 88 asked me for my opinion on the two detectors , I gave it , and of course some faithful whites zombie gets puffed about what l said , 90 percent of time I've noticed , what's that all about , grow up puff zombies , and live in the real world , and pop that whites bubble your floating around in , and quit getting offended by truth so much , you act like the liberal media.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login