Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: AT Pro vs. Whites MXSport
Posted by: Tahts-a-dats-ago
Date: March 20, 2017 03:22PM
WaterHound
Your not listening the MX sport is not ready for serious water hunting , I'm not impressed with how many pen pointers you have , yes you are stuck being a flunky zombie to a company who's got you buying the next peace of gunk , your words seem interesting like the first lawyer who talks , but then after I take the MX out in the water again its structual engineering flaws are evident , what part of that don't you understand , did you get your loyalty feelings hurt , when I read the forums and someone gives their opinion ,and then has a list of everything they own , what's that all about , am I supposed two be impressed ? Maybe whites was pressed to put out a water machine by its never satisfy customers who have money to through away , like you , but 800.00 dollars is a big investment to most people , and the only one they can buy , and buying the MX sport is not real wise ,considering all of the problems .The AT pro is tried and tested , but there are people that will ignore warnings from Serious users ! And buy a detector because it has a bigger screen that lights up or more bells and whistles , tboykin was right when when he said they will address those problems in the next generation ,because people like you and me unfortunately will buy them anyway , my wife and I have realized in america your gonna get ripped off but its up to us not to have it done again , and to warn others . I doubt many people like you actually take it out in water for any amount of time , in differnt water conditions , instead you have them hanging like trophies on your walls and brag about how many you have . serious buyers are not always serious users . but I am sure you or someone will respond back with something slippery to say or a list of what the machine can do , instead of a honest evaluation after extensive use in different conditions .

That would be your opinion only; others have a completely different opinion and that's something you clearly cannot handle.

I'm shocked that you're not impressed by the number of pin-pointers I own. What will it take to impress you, if owning several pin-pointers won't cut the mustard?

Now I'm a "flunky Zombie" because I'm satisfied with the equipment I own?

Are you a "flunky Zombie" too? I ask because you have stated your satisfaction with the equipment you own.

What is a "peace of gunk"?

You said you liked your MX Sport. Which of your machines is a "peace of gunk"?

How long have you been a structural engineer?

If you're not a structural engineer, why do you pretend to be a structural engineer?

My feelings aren't hurt, loyal or otherwise. In fact I quite enjoy watching you flail helplessly as you make one illogical leap after another.

Are you really so needy that you believe a list of machines (owned) is included as an effort to impress you?

Would it be better if, like you, I voiced a negative opinion of machines I've never owned or used?

I don't believe it possible to "through away" money - can you explain how that is done?

Are you actually gullible enough to believe any company would purposely release a defective machine, just so their "loyal Zombies" could "through away" their money? Is that what Garretts did when they released the AT Pro?

If bells and whistles are to be shunned, why didn't you purchase a beep and dig machine?

You're right, I don't take the MX Sport out in the water for long periods of time. I bought a real water machine for that purpose. All the major companies sell machines designed for the water; you might want to buy one instead of whining endlessly about having to put two additional screws in an arm-cuff.

Can you use everything you own all at the same time?

If not, why would you complain about others having equipment for specific purposes (that get used when that purpose demands the right tool for the job)?

How would you define a "serious user"?

Is that someone who uses the right tool for the job?

How is it that your butt-hurt, illogical, comments are fine, but other people's comments are "slippery"?

Why is your "honest review" more important that the "honest reviews" of others?

Posted by: Tahts-a-dats-ago
Date: March 20, 2017 03:49PM
WaterHound
Russ 88 asked me for my opinion on the two detectors , I gave it , and of course some faithful whites zombie gets puffed about what l said , 90 percent of time I've noticed , what's that all about , grow up puff zombies , and live in the real world , and pop that whites bubble your floating around in , and quit getting offended by truth so much , you act like the liberal media.

Reading this thread, and others, shows your interpretation [of the events] to be bass-ackwards.

What actually happened is you gave your opinion, then others gave their opinion and you can't handle the differing opinions. All because you think adding two screws to an arm-cuff is somehow a tragic failure. As a result of your childish butt-hurt, you've verbally attacked several posters, a representative from Whites, and Whites in general. And you've done all that over a machine that you admit you like.

That's the baffling part of all this: you can't stand it when someone else is satisfied with their choice of machines, but you are satisfied with that same machine.

The reality is that you've got some weird vendetta against Whites and their customers. For some odd reason you think it fine to attack, name-call, and misrepresent anyone who doesn't share your weird vendetta.

I am not offended by your silly vendetta against Whites; nor am I offended by your childish attacks on my person. My experiences, with Whites, are more than enough to convince me that I chose the right machines for me. I chalk up your "experiences" with Whites to be the result of a short-tempered wanna-be victim who hasn't bothered to learn their machine, and can't own up to his own irrational behaviors.

While I easily recognize your effort to compare me with the "liberal media" as the insult it was intended to be, I can't help but chuckling to myself as you constantly pretend to be some kind of victim - just like the "liberal media" does.

In one of your prior posts you warned me about the good service I'll receive from Whites, should I ever have a problem with one of my machines. I'd like to return the favor by warning you about the potential consequences of your actions if you continue with your tantrums by way of attacking other posters. I'm not a moderator and I'm not pretending to know what their limits are for the kind of actions you've undertaken, but I can tell you that I have seen people banned for actions such as yours.

Posted by: marcomo
Date: March 21, 2017 01:35AM
I've owned an AT Pro since early 2011 and it has served me well. In the time period since it has gotten the most use and it is currently one of my two primary detectors. It does a lot of things reasonably well or better, audio being way better.

But there were a lot of flaws that Garrett has worked out since the initial release. By the time I bought mine, Garrett had resolved the initial coil falsing issue. But there were still a lot of fixes and improvements that came later. Seems to me it took them about a year to come out with a headphone adapter so you could use any headphones instead of just the clunky Garrett ones with the proprietary connector. Then there was the issue of the too short arm cuff upper rod and the arm cuff itself which was prone to snapping in two. For that matter, the early AT Pro rods didn't have caps for tightening the rod connections. And the initial screw connectors were plastic instead of the sturdier and less prone to misthreading metal they use now.

And the early AT Pros were plagued with waterproofing issues...specifically because a lot of users were finding they weren't waterproof when submerged.

But Garrett has solved those earlier issues over time and I'm sure Whites will too with the MX Sport. It sounds like they have already corrected many of the initial issues. Problems with early production runs are by no means exclusive to Garrett and Whites. Particularly with a detector based on a new platform, or a major revision of an existing one.

Being first on the block can be exciting, but it also means paying retail price to be a beta tester.

Posted by: Jackpine Savage
Date: March 21, 2017 06:35AM
n/t

Save the Concentrics

Minelab Advantage, G2, Omega 8500, X-Terra 705, F75 DST and a Fisher ID Edge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 06:44AM by Jackpine Savage.

Posted by: Russ88
Date: March 21, 2017 08:55AM
Thank you Marcomo..... That was very informative and brings to light how the manufacturer may including Garrett's ATPro make improvements over time. Thanks for bringing that up

Russ88

Date: March 21, 2017 10:31AM
Glad it was helpful, Russ.

I will add a :thumbup: for the 5X8 coil for the AT Pro. It loses a bit of depth compared to the bigger 8X11 stock coil but is more effective in trashy areas. I use the 5X8 the majority of the time. That's not a knock on the stock coil, but rather because I have another detector I prefer in less busy areas.

Some users have raved about various aftermarket coils for the AT Pro, My only experience was with the NEL 12X13 Tornado and I wasn't particularly impressed. About a half inch more depth than the stock coil but way worse ergonomically and more EMI prone.

Posted by: jd88047
Date: March 22, 2017 03:23PM
Own the AT Pro. It is a fun detector, easy to use, and durable enough for me. The 5x8 coil makes it deadly. Could use a backlight but I dont hunt at night so thats ok too.

I don't own the MX sport. But have considered it. I watch a lot of utube videos when Im not hunting. Some of the channels I subscribe to uses the MX sport.

I own 3 different brands of detectors. Have owned whites, and the stuff is solid and works great. You have to read what makes the detector do what it does. Not the hype and merchandising. Instead of arguing who can take a long shower with their detector, I would post abilitys of each detector. The bickering does not help a new user.

If I had to choose between the two detectors, I would choose AT Pro. The whites has trouble in our soil here and it takes a very experienced user to use one effectively here. I will say if the MX Sport takes a standard headphone jack that would be a plus as the AT Pro can only use AT headphones or you have to buy a expensive jack.

Now dont get me started on the hat I didnt get when I bought my AT Pro, I have always gotten a tshirt and hat when buying a new machine. So that is my only negative for AT Pro, I didnt get that darn hat.

Date: March 22, 2017 10:20PM
Thanks for the update jd8847....Does the ATPro require a headphone jack to wear on any outside manufactured headphones..... like the Killer Bees?

Russ88

Date: March 23, 2017 12:07AM
Yes Russ, the AT Pro and AT Gold both need an adapter to use non-Garrett phones. I think it costs about $20-$30. You might want to talk to your dealer about throwing one in with purchase if you wind up going with an AT.

Date: March 25, 2017 11:43AM
Good Point Marcomo.... I will keep that in mind.....Does anyone have any reports on what to expect on the detecting depth on each coil?.....what can be expected on the 8 1/2 x 11, 5 x 8, or on any larger coils?

Date: March 25, 2017 12:33PM
Yes it does require a external jack. I consider it expensive at $35.00 dollars. The headphones supplied was mad for oopa loompa's. Just too short of a cable for me. I have made this comment before. The AT Pro is last years detector. But the AT Pro will make you happy once you get confident with it. They all work, just have to spend time with them.

Date: March 25, 2017 12:37PM
As far as depth. I have compared the AT Pro against a etrac and F75. Depth seems to stop at 10 inches on a coin here in my soil. The deepest coin I ever recovered was at 10 inches. Others may have hit deeper. I use a 5x8 coil mostly and only probe the parks generally. Depth is not important, cutting through trash and iron is. You get separation with the small coil. The stock coil is usable but a pain in trash. I have no experience with the other after market coils, but would say a 5x8 coil will do you right.

Date: March 25, 2017 08:47PM
I've air tested two different 8X11 and 5X8 coils and a NEL Tornado on a couple different AT Pro units. My criteria for maximum depth was not 100% solid, but not just a little chirp either. Something that you would at least potentially dig if you heard it while detecting. These numbers are strictly based on the audio, a decipherable audio signal goes a bit deeper than usable VDI. Tested with a mercury silver dime. Sensitivity at maximum 7 bar. Rounded to the closest half inch.

8X11: 9.5-10.0

5X8: 8.5-9.0

12X13 NEL Tornado: 10.5

Unless your soil is very mild, figure on some in-ground loss compared to these numbers.

Date: March 25, 2017 11:46PM
Thank you JD88047 and Marcomo.....Thank you for the very interesting factual findings. On the air tests perhaps some coins/jewelry may be found deeper due to the halo effect. Do you find the VDI readings are still true when finding coins etc at 8 inches and deeper? Many detectors VDI readings become distorted at those levels.

Date: March 26, 2017 12:44PM
In my experience, when you're at 8" on a coin, the AT VDI will be jumpy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login