Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Totally confused with all this new technology detectors:surrender:
Posted by: Mega
Date: May 26, 2017 01:47PM
@Ipooponyou,a very good post Georgi :thumbup:

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: cookie58
Date: June 23, 2017 03:16PM
I guess the original question of this post was based on how far detecting has progressed. Well my first detector that I ever used was my eyes. My father and I would go on a lake bottom in the early 60's that he knew and commuted before the dam was ever constructed. He knew of an old Senator's house (now just where the house place was) that had the old delco generator system that powered the whole house. I think of that because that same Senator fought against the dam being built that brought electricity and progress to his supposed constituents that he served. He also made the statement about the land acquisition for newly built 2 lane roads that the highway would stop at the Graveyard. However, his home was conveniently located to one of the best roads in the State. This is now just a site that the lake happens to cover in the Spring and uncover in the fall. You would only know that it is an old houseplace from seeing ornate ceramic tiles that litter the beautiful knowl that the huge house once sat upon. I am carrying on and will get back to the subject. In that same area, maybe a mile away, sat another house. It wasn't as big as the Senator's house and no tiles laying about only stones from the fireplace. My father instructed me on using my sensory powered detector eyes around the hearthstone of the old house. I was just a small boy and he told me what to look for and how. "Scratch around the hearthstone because people would lay valuables on the mantle and they sometimes would fall in a crack that almost always was between the floor and that hearthstone. I got lucky that day. I saw a dime-sized object laying in the soil that I had scratched out. After looking and rubbing and to my disguist, it wasn't a coin. But after investigation, I saw a Rooster surrounded by a band. On the Rooster;s chest was the word COX. In the band was the words I WILL CROW IN NOVEMBER. I found out latter from a Geography teacher of mine that this was a 1920 presidential emblem when William G. Harding ran against Cox. Now you are not allowed to scratch or metal detect in this place because of differing regulations. However, it started our infatuation with digging up history. It just so happened that we had Civil War activity in and around this same area. We started out with a metal detector that my father and I owned jointly. It was a BFO unit that was the prettiest color blue that you can imagine and a coil that looked like a thin spoke wagon wheel and brilliant white. I don't know about the adjustments but you could touch a stick weed and get a signal. No good. We went from there to a Whites CMaster TR 4 and my father got a Whites CMaster 5. No such thing as discrimination until the CMaster 6000. Metal detecting advancements are Country miles ahead of back then. On the TR4 you had to continuely adjust the threshold by stretching your thumb from the handle. And, think about the ground balancing. Hold the coil at waist level and turn a knob until it sounds and down to detecting height and turn until it sounds again. Then repeat until it is constant. Oh, and the discrimination. I can remember my father getting on his knees with the CMaster 5 and digging square nails by the score for an extended amount of time until he would find a minnie ball or sometimes a good button. There were not many detectorist out there then and understandably so. It was a chore to carry the machine for hours much less the stamina to contend with all of the nails and other ferrous materials that went along with the hobby. This is only a start, but I guess you are tired of reading.

Posted by: lytle78
Date: June 23, 2017 09:01PM
Cookie, I understandmyiir confusion. I would understandmitmeven better if you,would,break,up,your,stream-of-conscioness with a bit of structure.

Hit return now and then, breaking,up a solid block,of,hindredsmof words into paragraphs.

Much easier to digest.

Your thoughts are useful, please make them more digestible.

With respect.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: cookie58
Date: June 24, 2017 07:46AM
I am so sorry Rick for your confusion (also the title)-------I think that is what you wrote. In my defense, I was trying to make it easy for the little man running around in my computer setting type. If what I wrote earlier was confusion, try and digest this.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: June 24, 2017 08:25AM
understand my confusion because I don't know what cookie said in the massive blob of letters.

AJ

Posted by: lytle78
Date: June 24, 2017 10:32AM
Hey cookie!

The funny part of my rant was the tsunami of typos in what I wrote. When I saw it, I was horrified but the edit button wasn't there.

After I re-read it I realized that it could be understood as some wierd form of humor. Nope, just tired, wrong glasses on and after a nice steak dinner and my half of a bottle of red.

My apologies if it was in bad taste - all contributions to our collective knowledge are very welcome.

Rick Kempf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login