Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Shovels at Parks or School
Posted by: DigDeepNow
Date: June 14, 2017 11:40AM
Digging with a shovel and cutting a plug with a long handled tool are not the same.
I do see the problem with the public seeing a tool they describe as a shovel being used in a public park or school.

Posted by: marcomo
Date: June 14, 2017 11:39PM
Well said, Harold.

Posted by: Mcdetect
Date: June 16, 2017 09:54PM
Please no shovels in public areas. Regardless of how neat you can dig a plug with one it gives a bad impression of our hobby.

Posted by: 5900_XL-1
Date: June 16, 2017 10:45PM
Well, I have used shovels in parks and public for years. Most of those years were with an 18" Sampson, 4" wide blade, carried on a belt carrier. No problems, but I never flaunted it. I many times delay a deeper dig untlil park quiet-time. I once got a permit from the Corp of Engineers for lake detecting...they stated using diggers used for one-hand ability. I showed them my Sampson. Got the, "That's OK."

A lot is in the way people present the shovel. Shoulder-carry? No-No. Swinging carefree to the side, noticable. Usle a l-o-n-g wide blade shovel?, That's just stupid

I am using a shovel each time unless it's private or the town square. There's a "way" to use a shovel in public.

Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: June 17, 2017 01:04AM
5900_XL-1
There's a "way" to use a shovel in public.[/quote

No There Isn't, not in city parks anyway!
PLEASE STAY OUT OF OUR CITY PARK WITH YOUR SHOVEL!

Mark

Avatar, Me and my two brothers from left to right!

WV62 - MarkCZ - Still Looking 52

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 17, 2017 10:00AM
Mark, I know what xl-1 is saying. Yet I know what you are saying.

You have an image that xl-1 (anyone with a long-handled shovel) is going to be seen. If that premise is true, then I agree with you. That it carries too much connotations (that you might be about to leave a hole). But what xl-1 is doing, is going at a time when such-lookie-lou's aren't around to gripe. In that case (no one around to see the "shovel"), then ..... presto: out of sight is out of mind.

Remember: There's some long handle shovels (the "gator") that are nothing effectively more than a Lesche on the end of a long pole. Thus you can do more damage or digging with a short-handle one (akin to trowel, as you know), than a long-handle one. Thus the impact is identical. It's only the image/connotations that are different. Right ? And that is easily solved by going at zero traffic times.

It's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting (for high-profile nicer turf) at night. So peaceful . So serene. And while I don't use a long-handle shovel (gator, etc...), I do understand the logic of those-that-do, if they do it at zero -traffic times. Because then the issue of image is solved. Eh ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2017 10:01AM by Tom_in_CA.

Date: June 17, 2017 11:04AM
Tom_in_CA
Mark, I know what xl-1 is saying. Yet I know what you are saying.

You have an image that xl-1 (anyone with a long-handled shovel) is going to be seen. If that premise is true, then I agree with you. That it carries too much connotations (that you might be about to leave a hole). But what xl-1 is doing, is going at a time when such-lookie-lou's aren't around to gripe. In that case (no one around to see the "shovel"), then ..... presto: out of sight is out of mind.

Remember: There's some long handle shovels (the "gator") that are nothing effectively more than a Lesche on the end of a long pole. Thus you can do more damage or digging with a short-handle one (akin to trowel, as you know), than a long-handle one. Thus the impact is identical. It's only the image/connotations that are different. Right ? And that is easily solved by going at zero traffic times.

It's gotten to where I do most of my turf hunting (for high-profile nicer turf) at night. So peaceful . So serene. And while I don't use a long-handle shovel (gator, etc...), I do understand the logic of those-that-do, if they do it at zero -traffic times. Because then the issue of image is solved. Eh ?

Well, I like to night hunt myself, I used to do a LOT of that in 1981, not so much anymore.
Another problem is the newbie's to the hobby!! you know the ones that start out with an image of digging up GOLD and getting rich, the ones that are not really into the hobby and want to protect it. Its hard enough to contour that practice without suggesting the use of shovels in a public forum. This forum and ones like it has WAY more surfers (viewers) than members and many of them are looking for any support they can find on using heavy equipment to dig up the city parks. You and I both know the overall senses (final score) of the outcome of these threads on the subject! its ALWAYS an overwhelming NO to shovels in city parks!! ALWAYS!
Without exception.
Yes, there is always one or two that will come in and defend shovels and hard hats is better, but its ALWAYS a 90% or better vote against shovels in city parts!!!!!

Mark

Posted by: amberjack
Date: June 17, 2017 09:18PM
reality is that it will be banned at some point so get rid of what you don't use gear wise before its worthless.

AJ

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 18, 2017 10:45AM
I hear what you're saying. While it might be ok for an experienced person to use a long-handled gator, yet .... truth is .... a newbie is not going to maintain "discreet" status. Thus better to tell them "never".

Date: June 18, 2017 01:23PM
Tom_in_CA
I hear what you're saying. While it might be ok for an experienced person to use a long-handled gator, yet .... truth is .... a newbie is not going to maintain "discreet" status. Thus better to tell them "never".

While it might be okay for an experienced person to use a long-handled gator that is respective and protective of the hobby, yet .... truth is .... a newbie is not going to maintain "discreet" status. Thus better to tell them "never" The shovels and gator diggers is in general a BAD IDEA IN Public Parks, and we who want to protect (preserve) the hobby need to do so in ALL public settings, in the field and on the forums! both are 'In The Public View' in many cases we are the 'Instructors' we need to teach good habits to the beginners, then let them evolve their own habits from there.

Tom, your 100% correct!
Mark

Avatar, Me and my two brothers from left to right!

WV62 - MarkCZ - Still Looking 52

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: June 19, 2017 08:59AM
Just look at the junk/litter along our roadways---do you think arming MORONS with LHS's is a good idea.? Most 2 legged Idiots can screw up a steel ball with a rubber hammer.
The 2 IDIOTS on the MDing tv show attracted untold thousands of fellow Idiots to destroy our hobby.
NO, I don't have much faith in my fellow man.

Date: June 19, 2017 09:58AM
yep walkers I call them and a piece of rebar can be a good tool with walkers :lmfao:

truth is we can only control what we do, most people don't like being told what to do so while this thread maybe a great place to vent it wont stop the walkers sorry about that..

so :buds: be happy don't worry and enjoy...

AJ

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: June 19, 2017 07:57PM
So true as other Forums You even mention not using a Shovel in Parks and You get Your head bit off and called a 'Finger pointer". That's the way it is Today. No one's at fault. Your are just a Grumpy Old Finger pointer.
One forum has a lot of so called Big shooters in the Hobby. Surprising to say the least.

Etrac
CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Posted by: Doc Holliday
Date: June 20, 2017 10:17AM
HIGH TONE! I'LL FIND IT!

JUST A LITTLE DEEPER, THAT'S ALL....I KNOW IT'S HERE SOMEWHERE!

Date: June 21, 2017 10:25AM
Doc Holliday
HIGH TONE! I'LL FIND IT!

JUST A LITTLE DEEPER, THAT'S ALL....I KNOW IT'S HERE SOMEWHERE!

[attachment 346757 Giant-Bucket-Wheel-Excavatorsm.jpg]

:lmfao:

AJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login