Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Some people are just jealous of someone recovering something
Posted by: vlad
Date: May 26, 2017 10:00PM
And really, its not free.......detectors cost, pinpointers, time to learn them, expense of travel, and hard damn effort to do it.
"you going to return that...?" (like a tungsten ring, or sterling, [or change people drop] sell for little and usually mean nothing-almost no resale value--like a name & address and etched inside???) And
as you said, the trash we pick up just on top of the ground; like cartridges, broken glass, hypo needles, and all kinds of metallic & non metallic crap.
A woman recently with a "ward 3 recreation district" told me I could not dig holes on a football field-that is Parish School Board Property??? [and the groundskeeper said its ok]
I just ignored her and kept hunting.
Let her call the cops, and she was yakking on that phone but no one showed up. :punch:

Re: Shovels at Parks or School
Posted by: tarajudy
Date: May 27, 2017 05:25AM
Most schools here in VA where I live are off limits. GO TO JAIL DO NOT PASS GO. MOST ARE FENCED IN ANY WAY SO JERKS DON'T COME IN AND DIG UP THE FOOTBALL AND BASEBALL FIELDS. NO PUBLIC ACCESS ALLOWED.

Posted by: amberjack
Date: May 27, 2017 06:36AM
that's great news that no jerks are allowed in the jails um schools sorry about that hard to tell the difference these days sounds like a great place to live.

AJ

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: May 27, 2017 03:12PM
tarajudy
Most schools here in VA where I live are off limits.....

So too did our schools start getting fences put up, starting in the late 1970s. Prior to that , they were just considered sort of the defacto after school playgrounds when I was a kid. We used to see where rednecks came in and spun donuts with their 4W drives on the lawns. So I always sort of thought that must be the reason for the fences. But I'm sure it also has to do with the litigical age in which we live in. Where someone slips on a banana peel and sues. Or to keep perverts off the grounds, etc..

So when those fences went up when I was a kid, it didn't stop them from continuing to be used for after school play. Eg.: jog the track, shoot hoops, etc... Because there was always a turn-style or permanent propped open gate. With the obligatory "school use only" or "visitors check in at the office" type signage (that no one paid attention to).

And when I got into md'ing in the late 1970s, we routinely hit school yards. Yes, despite the "fences". It just never occurred to us that you couldn't. Is that to say that if we'd asked "can I?" that someone would have said "Yes" ? Probably not. Just saying that .... to this day ... you still see persons walk their dog, jog the track, shoot hoops, etc... So I guess we just never considered ourselves any different. :shocked: (silly us)

I suppose some other states or cities "might be different". Or "might be buttoned up tight" . Or "might truly enforce". But having been there through the evolution of all this , I have to ask myself, when I see "dire threats" such as yours: If it's merely the same thing as here ? In other words, if I were new at this, and looked at the signs, or boiler plate laws, or asked school lawyers here, I too could no doubt walk away with 'dire conclusions'.

tarajudy
.... GO TO JAIL DO NOT PASS GO. ....

Ok, I'll bite. Can you tell us any incident of an md'r "going to jail" in VA for md'ing a school yard ? I'm sure that since it's such an imminent threat and reality that .... surely you have examples? :confused:

tarajudy
... DON'T COME IN AND DIG UP THE FOOTBALL AND BASEBALL FIELDS.....

Is that the way you characterize md'ing ? Then of course you won't get permissions. Of course you'll "be arrested". And of course if you walk into district offices and say "Hi, I'm a jerk and I'd like permission to 'dig up' the football field". What do you think they'll say ?

I CRINGE when I see md'ing characterized/described in that way. Because what does it imply tarajudy ?? HOLES, of course. Do you "leave holes"? If so, I would recommend taking "recovery 101 class" all over again. Because I don't leave any trace. Thus I will detect school yards.

Posted by: MarkCZ
Date: May 27, 2017 04:26PM
Tom
I CRINGE when I see md'ing characterized/described in that way. Because what does it imply tarajudy ?? HOLES, of course. Do you "leave holes"? If so, I would recommend taking "recovery 101 class" all over again. Because I don't leave any trace. Thus I will detect school yards.

"Recovery 101 Class"

Date: May 27, 2017 08:37PM
thanx.

For the "plugging" method, I would stress the importance of the 4th and final step: STOMP. Because if you just put the plug back in place, where it "bulges" up still, that's a recipe for it to remain visible. And to be sucked back up by a passing lawnmower (because they have a slight "pull" air force with their blades). So stomping multiple times, then "ruffling up" with your fingers helps. The final "ruffling/fluffing" gets any nuisance fugitive dirt on top to be less visible.

Posted by: Daddy
Date: May 27, 2017 09:42PM
Tom_in_CA
nuisance fugitive dirt.
:laugh:

Metal Detectorist - Dig hard and deep.

Posted by: asiandigger
Date: May 27, 2017 11:15PM
This video was made by the President of our club here in Northern Ca, Definitely made by someone with a shovel,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2_x-bXQU2c
He points out the plugs that are not put back and how to properly retrieve your targets

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2017 11:18PM by asiandigger.

Date: May 28, 2017 09:10AM
asiandigger
This video was made by the President of our club here in Northern Ca, Definitely made by someone with a shovel,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2_x-bXQU2c
He points out the plugs that are not put back and how to properly retrieve your targets

In the video he didn't say or show it but I'm pretty certain that he spent some time repairing those left open digs!! I've been to our city park and found the same thing, plus with the ones I found if they dug out a can or other piece of trash they just left it on the ground next to the hole!!!!!

Parks are for public use! but that means your supposed to leave the area pretty much the way you found it!!!!! now things like,
Pressed down grass from a blanket,
Extra trash in the Trash cans,
are expected!!!

Yes!! they are many parks where the ground keepers have had to deal with "Detector Bandits" and so they are running anybody with a detector out! if that's the case then going around trying to get permission to hunt it is a lost cause.

In my earlier post I implied that if the existing posted park rules sign don't state "No Metal Detecting" and I wanted to detect it I would detect it! of course if someone in authority or a police officer tells to leave, then I would do so but, I would also nicely state that I had read the posted park rules and I didn't say anything that stated metal detecting wasn't allowed and then I would leave!!! I wouldn't give them a hard time and just make things worse. Also, they don't put a single sign up per park rule! they make a new sign and include the "No Metal Detecting" into the list of existing rules. .

Avatar, Me and my two brothers from left to right!

WV62 - MarkCZ - Still Looking 52

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: May 28, 2017 11:11AM
Shovels are for the boondocks or plowed fields ought to cover it.....No wonder more parks and such are off limits to the hobby....

Posted by: marcomo
Date: May 30, 2017 08:03PM
God bless you, Tom, for your many years of common sense posts about not chasing municipal blessings! I have no doubt that you have convinced some MDers not to do something they otherwise might have. And in so doing you have saved some locations from officially becoming off limits. You've spent a lot of time being the voice of common sense on this issue, and all of us in this great hobby owe you a debt of gratitude.:cheers:

But I do think you are oversimplifying it when you suggest that most all MD bans come about from people unnecessarily asking bureaucrats for permission.

Surely looking for official permissions has caused bans, but I also don't doubt that unfilled and poorly dug holes and the unsightly appearance of big shovels have caused problems too. No doubt our brethren have been blamed for the doings of some non-human animals too.

And I'll add my opinion that "recovery 101" needs to be updated.

First of all, the flap method where one side of the plug is not detached from the ground will virtually always lead to a cleaner, better looking recovery than removing the entire plug as shown in recovery 101.

Secondly, stomping will not re-affix the edges of a flap plug as securely as punching with solid jabs around the edges will. As an added bonus, punching is good exercise and could have a deterrent effect to anyone watching you who may not have the best of intentions. Obviously I don't recommend this technique in rocky soils, but it works great in a typical manicured grassy area.

Third, carry a frisbee or something similar for dirt. A drop cloth always seems to be recommended, but a drop cloth is by definition flimsy and more of a pain to use when you're trying to dump a bunch of dirt back into a hole.

A few weeks ago a gentleman who gave me permission to search his yard told me he had been watching the spots where I dug but couldn't see any trace of where I was afterwards. Music to my ears.:clapping:

Date: May 30, 2017 08:26PM
marcomo
And I'll add my opinion that "recovery 101" needs to be updated.
First of all, the flap method where one side of the plug is not detached from the ground will virtually always lead to a cleaner, better looking recovery than removing the entire plug as shown in recovery 101.

Method 2 as shown above is a flapped (connected at one side) plug!

Click on the image to enlarge it to full size and read it!

Mark

Avatar, Me and my two brothers from left to right!

WV62 - MarkCZ - Still Looking 52

Posted by: marcomo
Date: May 30, 2017 08:59PM
You're right, Mark. I jumped to a conclusion based on a quick glance that looked like the plug was fully removed. I stand corrected.

Date: May 31, 2017 04:10AM
marcomo
.... You've spent a lot of time being the voice of common sense on this issue, and all of us in this great hobby owe you a debt of gratitude.:cheers:

But I do think you are oversimplifying it when you suggest that most all MD bans come about from people unnecessarily asking bureaucrats for permission. ...

Thanx for the compliments Marcomo. It's a bee-in-my-bonnet :wacko: And you're right: Not all bans came from grovelling md'rs going in and swatting hornet's nests. There are other origins too.

Posted by: Harold,ILL.
Date: May 31, 2017 10:58AM
Bottom line don't go into a Park with a Shovel and a bunch of Buddy's with them also. Don't want to hear about How neat a plug You can dig with one. It looks bad and more People with You draw attention. Because No Matter what once that sign goes up its over unless You want to get a Ticket or worse. I know as it happened in My area. I try to tell all the shovel digging Newbs on YouTube but they know too much. They will have to learn the Hard way. It Just Sucks as they ruin it for us who have had a true passion for the Hobby for Years . Not because We saw a cable show and thought it would be a quick way to make a buck in between Golf games. Nuff Said.

Etrac
CZ-3D
Golden uMax

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login