Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Wireless headphones for metal detecting?
Posted by: Mudwhale
Date: June 27, 2017 05:17PM
sprchng
There are numerous well engineered and researched options to go wireless today but all of the popular ones that do not seem to have lag issues are some form of 2.4 ghz. Bluetooth signal processing just doesn't seem to mesh with the human eye/ear synchronization abilities.

4.1 is almost twice as fast as 2.4 ghz and here is still huge lag in response. How can slower be faster?

Nokta IMPACT,Garret GTAX-550, Garret Pro Pointer, Garret digger, Predator Tools Piranha shovel and 100% DEET!!

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: June 27, 2017 08:38PM
Tom_in_CA
Tony N (Michigan)
... You are using a fallacy that if one thing is outrageous, then, using guilt by association.....

So too would the proponent believer say, of any effort to dismiss his lizard people notion. Eh ? :huh:

It is one thing for a person to believe lizard people exist (I don't) and it is quite another thing to see scientific proof through MRI's of a person's brain after a person has been subjected to their cellphone radiation.

You see, Tom, it is improper to use guilt by association. It's a fallacy of argument.
Most often, guilt by association has to do with relationships with other people, i.e., if your friends do dope and you run around with them, people will believe you do dope too.
But there are other scenarios where guilt by association is used such as is the case in this thread. Since there are people who believe in lizard people, if one believes cell phones are dangerous to the human mind, that's as bad as people believing in lizard people
So the arguer tries to associate the one person who does not believe like Tom, for instance and so Tom, in an effort to win an argument, associates that person with nut jobs who believe in lizard people. See how that works?

Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: June 27, 2017 08:39PM
Mudwhale
sprchng
There are numerous well engineered and researched options to go wireless today but all of the popular ones that do not seem to have lag issues are some form of 2.4 ghz. Bluetooth signal processing just doesn't seem to mesh with the human eye/ear synchronization abilities.

4.1 is almost twice as fast as 2.4 ghz and here is still huge lag in response. How can slower be faster?

I don't know, but I do know you can save money getting your insurance through Geico. LOL.

Date: June 28, 2017 05:22PM
As far as the brain cancer is concerned.....YES if you are spending most of your time within 100 feet of a cell tower like, partying there every night with your buds 'cause it's out of the way of the cops... Yes if you think climbing one and having lunch there everyday just for the view for an hour or so within 10 feet of the transmitter.( At this distance your food will cook and stay warm according to the distance) No to almost everything else. Of the 100 million or so users of cell service in this country, not one has been verified in any diagnosis of getting brain cancer specifically from cell phones....Except test mice that were in a cage on the cell tower since birth.... I haven't even heard of a personal brain cancer case in my life. Have You?

Here's another thing, MRI, "Magnetic Resonance Imaging" Is NOT the same technology of Cellular Communication. MRI is NOT radiation but a collection of data from inducing a strong magnetic field in a human body. This is based on our Iron content and gives an image of abnormalities in our structure as humans. It does not cause cancer but, discovers it. Micro Wave radiation is also a misnomer because there are about a million different frequency's in this spectrum that constitute as being "Micro Waves". Some is for communication and others cook food.
Ed

Nokta IMPACT,Garret GTAX-550, Garret Pro Pointer, Garret digger, Predator Tools Piranha shovel and 100% DEET!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 05:34PM by Mudwhale.

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 28, 2017 10:00PM
Mudwhale
.... No to almost everything else. Of the 100 million or so users of cell service in this country, not one has been verified in any diagnosis of getting brain cancer specifically from cell phones....Except test mice that were in a cage on the cell tower since birth.... I haven't even heard of a personal brain cancer case in my life. Have You? ...

Then it sounds like you are likening this to junk science conspiracy theory stuff. If so, then Tony N' Michigan would beg to differ with you :)

I had this conversation with a fellow about 15 yrs. ago (when I guess the claim was getting tossed around in debates). And when I tried to point out the counter evidence , he claimed that any such studies (that said cell-phones were safe) was highly suspect. Because they'd been paid for by the cell-phone companies, hence .... biased, and hence ...... a cover-up. To protect their profits. I KID YOU NOT ! Now gee .... how is a person supposed to refute that ? :look:

Date: June 29, 2017 05:44PM
No,I don't side by ANYTHING at all. I am an engineer by trade and I make my own decisions.

It is more dangerous to go out into the sunlight itself than exposure to cell phones! More people die from skin cancer than cell phones, PERIOD! Not to mention, gamma radiation, infrared radiation and a host of sub atomic particles ripping through your body everyday, every second, from just being alive. The cause of human aging is the decrease of the output from the pituitary gland. The destruction of this gland is attributed to solar radiation and sub atomic particles ripping it to pieces over time. It simply can't keep up as we get older and decays from there. Genetically some folks are better at the resistance of this onslaught... But you will die in the end no matter your choice.....

Date: June 29, 2017 05:54PM
Tony N (Michigan)
Mudwhale
sprchng

I don't know, but I do know you can save money getting your insurance through Geico. LOL.

I am trying to decide if you are coherent... WOW!

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: June 29, 2017 07:12PM
MudWhale I like your argument against wireless headphones and I will investigate more thoroughly---I was just about to order the Garrett wireless system.
If you find any reports where a person has done an actual depth test please post it. Thanks.

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 29, 2017 07:27PM
doc holiday232
... If you find any reports where a person has done an actual depth test please post it. Thanks.

Here's an anecdotal curiosity: I had a blue tooth piece for my cell-phone. And since it's so compact, I had it on under my earphone cup as I was detecting deep-turf. I got a phone call from my wife, and stopped to answer it. But since the bluetooth was under my earphone cup, I decided to keep detecting WHILE I was talking to her. There was no noticeable difference in sound from the detector (ie.: no cross-talk). As I was in the phone call, walking and detecting, I got a signal I wanted to investigate. So I stopped detecting, and.... eventually got off the phone call with her.

I noticed that THE MOMENT the phone call was disconnected (hence no more blue-tooth connection to my cell-phone in play), that the signal cleaned up ! Got bolder, clearer, etc... Hmmm. That told me there was SOME sort of cross-talk (albeit sub-audible) going on. Was it the fact of a cell call in progress that close ? Or the bluetooth ? I dunno. But it added to my distrust of any wireless headphones. Have always used chord-headphones.

Date: June 30, 2017 07:08AM
doc holiday232
MudWhale I like your argument against wireless headphones and I will investigate more thoroughly---I was just about to order the Garrett wireless system.
If you find any reports where a person has done an actual depth test please post it. Thanks.

I am not against wireless headphones at all. It's just the particular setup I have used/tried has way too much lag for my taste. If it was half as much I could live with it. I think by adding the transmitter externally into the speaker jack and the wireless headphones there is too much electronic hardware in the way with this setup. The detector has to talk to the transmitter that has to process and send the signal to the headphones which in turn have to process the signal and get it to your ear to process. I have the Nokta Impact which has a built in transmitter but the headphones are still in the works. From what I hear there is almost zero delay. I can't wait until they are available. I know the Minelab and Garret setups are awesome with no noticeable lag at all.

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: June 30, 2017 09:10AM
Thanks to Tom and MudWhale--My hobby is deeeep cannon projectiles and I need every MM of depth that I can get. I was just about to order the Garrett wireless system,but will now do more research. Thanks guys.

Posted by: pan4au
Date: June 30, 2017 06:35PM
Tony N (Michigan)
doc holiday232
Get the Garrett or Detectnix.

If I get the Deteknix, what happens when the batteries run out? They are only good for maximum 6 hours.

I have the deteknix.. I use it on my etrac I slide it under my padded arm cuff.. on the other side of the arm cuff I have a LI-Ion charger/power supply that I can plug into the Deteknix transmitter if if battery gets too low. It works good for me.. the headphones charge last longer than the transmitter. just my 2ยข

Tn. TH'er
Minelab E-trac
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher 1266X
Fisher F75 SE
Garrett Master Hunter 7X
Garrett Freedom II Plus
Tesoro Cibola Gound balance modded
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Modded Cen-Tech pinpointer

Posted by: Mkus
Date: July 02, 2017 07:29PM
Tom_in_CA
Tony N (Michigan)
.... what happens when the batteries run out? ....

Alas: And yet another reason to stick with chord headphones. :blink:
That's why I bought a Deus comes all wireless and it holds a charge for ever!
And charges in no more than two hours with one plug to charge all three pieces.

Posted by: Mega
Date: July 02, 2017 08:55PM
As i mainly use the Deus for everyday use then of course they have the Wireless headphones that come with the machine,for summer use the WS4 backphones and winter the WS5 fullcup ones,but if i am using another machine then i do use the 'Detectnix' ones which for the most part are pretty good and light,the short battery life ie 6 hours was a initial worry but as yet they have never died on me,during peak detecting time sessions when i could be out for 10-12 hours then when i am back at the car i can and do top them up while having something too eat and a drink.

Have just ordered the Garrett ones as my Detectnix ones are over 2 years old and i feel that after a few years although they still wok exactly the same as when i got them the possibility of battery reliability could be a concern,although i always do carry 2 'wired' backup headphones just incase i do get a failure with any of the wireless options that i use.Always best to be safe and sure,nothing worst than traveling some distance and then finding a issue with your equipment and you having to abandon your days detecting session,as yet over all the decades that i have been detecting never had to come home early due to equipment failure,prehaps i do carry far more item than i need but some of my permissions are many miles away.

I did try Bluetooth setup maybe 10 years ago and it was the way forward but of course they did have the terrible lag that occurs with them,the XP setup on the GMP saved the day and as they say the rest is history,the Deus setup is about as good and reliable as it gets.

So between the Deus and the new Garrett wireless setup and i will still carry the Detectnix unit as a backup then i doubt that i will have any reliability issues going forward.

Deus and Nexus MP main everyday detectors

Displays on a Detector are really the equivalent of relying on sub-titles,give me a Analogue machine anyday.

Some of my site specific use machines.
TDI Pro 20'' Mono
Nexus SE dual 9'' coil
Nexus MP 14x13
Fisher TW-5 twin box
Crossbow PI 14x9 Mono
Mirage PI 5'' Mono
DFX 18'' Detech
T2 SEF15x12
IDX Pro 15'' Concentric
Arado120b
B1 and B3
Trident11 Extreme NEL Snake

Mainly hunt deep ploughed and pasture sites,trashy roman/saxon and celtic permissions.

Posted by: cessna152
Date: July 02, 2017 09:08PM
I just returned from several days in the field. I use my Tesoro with the Garrett wireless system.
Works great, no signal lag or problems at all. Good combination for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login