Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Wireless headphones for metal detecting?
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: June 27, 2017 06:30AM
Does anyone here use wireless headphones for metal detecting?
There are Bluetooth transmitters and headphones that pair with the transmitter.
I need to use one with a 1/8" jack on the transmitter that would plug into where the headphones would normally plug into.

Re: Wireless headphones for metal detecting?
Posted by: Mudwhale
Date: June 27, 2017 08:02AM
I have tried the TROND low latency 4.1 transmitter with bluetooth 4.1 low latency headphones with my Nokta Impact. There is an irritating delay when swinging over a target. It's 1.5 times the width of the coil before you hear the tone while swinging a 3 second single sweep. The tone is accurate though and in pinpointing mode it works fine. I am staying corded because I can't stand the delay. I only use the wireless when in the thick woods.

Nokta IMPACT,Garret GTAX-550, Garret Pro Pointer, Garret digger, Predator Tools Piranha shovel and 100% DEET!!

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: June 27, 2017 10:06AM
Mudwhale
.... There is an irritating delay when swinging over a target......

Yes: After-market (radio-shack, etc... ) add-on's have that common complaint: The annoying delay. But supposedly certain manufacturer stock ones being put into detectors nowadays has solved that.

But I have another reason I'd always be skeptical of using any form of wireless headphones: Sub-audible cross-talk. Because the earpiece and sending unit are communicating, after all.

What I mean is: That EVEN though they may be set to different frequencies, such that you don't have AUDIBLE cross-talk, yet I would fear that there might be sub-audible subtle compromises . That you simply don't hear.

For example: We all know that 2 -like machines (same brand and type) will "cross-talk". And we know that NON-similar brands/machines don't necessarily cross-talk. Right ? But have you ever noticed that if you get those 2 non-similar machines close enough , that they DO INDEED cross-talk ? So that means there was an un-known range of feet , when the dis-similar machine was getting closer, that a level of sub-audible could be occurring. That you simply don't hear. And that can affect depth.

By "sub-audible", consider the following true story: I took a buddy to a park (known to still have some deep wheats/silver) to teach him how to use his Explorer II. The idea was, that I was going to flag some good signals, so he could know what type sounds he was supposed to be listening for.

Since we were both using Exp. II, we had to separate ourselves by enough distance where cross-talk would go away. But after 20 minutes, I STILL could not find a classic 4-star signal to show him. DESPITE knowing full well that the area I was in *should* have some. I just couldn't find anything of what I was looking for. FINALLY I got a semi-acceptable iffy signal. I gave him a hand signal to come over to my part of the park.

When he saw me motion for him, he turned off his machine. And walked over to the part of the park I was at. An interesting phenomenon took place: As SOON as he had turned off his machine (even though out of cross-talk range), my signal immediately cleaned up and sounded better. Hmmm. That told me there had STILL been "cross-talk" (albeit below audible), even though we'd been beyond the range where we could hear it.

So too would I fear in having any other sort of transmitter/receivers (bluetooth, cell-phones in the midst of calls, other machines, etc...) too close to me. EVEN if I don't necessarily hear them, it could be causing subtle loss of performance. So I never use anything except chord headphone. JMHO

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: June 27, 2017 10:24AM
Get the Garrett or Detectnix.

Posted by: sprchng
Date: June 27, 2017 10:29AM
There are numerous well engineered and researched options to go wireless today but all of the popular ones that do not seem to have lag issues are some form of 2.4 ghz. Bluetooth signal processing just doesn't seem to mesh with the human eye/ear synchronization abilities.

Date: June 27, 2017 10:39AM
doc holiday232

If I get the Deteknix, what happens when the batteries run out? They are only good for maximum 6 hours.

Date: June 27, 2017 10:45AM
A most excellent response, Tom!
Thank you so much for pointing that out.

Not only that, but, I don't really like radio waves going through my brain in the headphones when it is receiving information from the sending unit.
Who knows what that does? I know we always hear we are being bombarded every day by cell phone towers and radio towers, not to mention Satellites beaming
down on us all their information from out in space.

Whenever I go out to California and get in the canyons where no cell phone is possible to communicate, I just find my body totally relaxing. My shoulders drop, I breathe deeper.

Date: June 27, 2017 10:46AM
Tony N (Michigan)
.... what happens when the batteries run out? ....

Alas: And yet another reason to stick with chord headphones. :blink:

Date: June 27, 2017 10:50AM
Tony N (Michigan)
.... I don't really like radio waves going through my brain in the headphones when it is receiving information from the sending unit.
Who knows what that does?...

haha, well I won't go so far as to subscribe to various conspiracy stuff about cell-phones being bad for you. Blah blah.

A friend of mine's wife saw something sensational about that one some tabloid type TV sillyness. And insisted they could no longer keep their phones by their bed at night on the night-stand. Doh! After much argument about the validity of any health issues, my friend finally wimped out and gave in to her demands.

The problem is, he's got a job that requires him to .... sometimes .... answer a phone or text at late hours (or even in the night). So the poor guy has to jump out of bed and run to get any calls from the next bedroom now ! Doh! I told him "you're whipped" :argue: haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 10:51AM by Tom_in_CA.

Date: June 27, 2017 11:49AM
It's not so much the cell phones but the cell phone towers.

But they have known for years now that cell phones do cause brain cancer due to the microwaves from the cell phone.

Date: June 27, 2017 12:32PM
Tony N (Michigan)
doc holiday232

If I get the Deteknix, what happens when the batteries run out? They are only good for maximum 6 hours.

Get the Garrett ,,,longer battery life and made in the U.S.
It's nonsense worrying about the RF going through your brain ,,,,, you are going to starve to death before that after the RF finishes killing off all the honey bees.:smile:

Date: June 27, 2017 12:37PM
sprchng
....It's nonsense worrying about the RF going through your brain ,,,,, you are going to starve to death before that after the RF finishes killing off all the honey bees.:smile:

Aaaahhh, but see, that's where you're not up on the latest conspiracy of big corporate cell-phone businesses: The phones *do indeed* cause brain cancer, blah blah blah. But there is a "hush hush" coverup, where big business and big-govt. doesn't want you to know that. Lest it affect their sales dollars, etc.... So they cover up the studies & hush the reports. You have been duped.

Same for UFO captured aliens at area 51, black helicopters, lizard people that control the govt. etc..... It's all true, and you're being duped into not believing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 12:38PM by Tom_in_CA.

Date: June 27, 2017 02:50PM
Tom_in_CA
sprchng
....It's nonsense worrying about the RF going through your brain ,,,,, you are going to starve to death before that after the RF finishes killing off all the honey bees.:smile:

Aaaahhh, but see, that's where you're not up on the latest conspiracy of big corporate cell-phone businesses: The phones *do indeed* cause brain cancer, blah blah blah. But there is a "hush hush" coverup, where big business and big-govt. doesn't want you to know that. Lest it affect their sales dollars, etc.... So they cover up the studies & hush the reports. You have been duped.

Same for UFO captured aliens at area 51, black helicopters, lizard people that control the govt. etc..... It's all true, and you're being duped into not believing.

You are using a fallacy that if one thing is outrageous, then, using guilt by association, you feel you can easily sweep the issue to the side with the wave of the hand as it relates to the dangers of cell phone usage.
You see, Tom, I'm not as dumb as you look. :lol:

Date: June 27, 2017 03:28PM
Tony N (Michigan)
... You are using a fallacy that if one thing is outrageous, then, using guilt by association.....

So too would the proponent believer say, of any effort to dismiss his lizard people notion. Eh ? :huh:

Date: June 27, 2017 03:48PM
Is " Sub-audible cross-talk. " the same as the noise a tree makes when it falls in the forest when no one is around? or the bullet that gets you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login