Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
How many of you started off with a Relco?
Posted by: Tony N (Michigan)
Date: July 14, 2017 04:41PM
I know this is going to date me but my first metal detector was a Relco.
Mine had the wooden box to hold everything and two coils.
But I didn't look like the guys in the picture. I may have had bell bottom pants. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2017 04:48PM by Tony N (Michigan).

Re: How many of you started off with a Relco?
Posted by: still looking 52
Date: July 14, 2017 06:45PM
I really can't remember the exact model but it was a whites and it looked exactly like the one in your picture, same color. Seems it was a whites 5000D.

Date: July 14, 2017 07:42PM
still looking 52
I really can't remember the exact model but it was a whites and it looked exactly like the one in your picture, same color. Seems it was a whites 5000D.

I was never any good with the Relco. Dug the usual junk. It was quite an upgrade years later when I went from that to an Explorer XS. I thought "What the heck have I gotten myself into!" LOL

Posted by: mrwilburino
Date: July 15, 2017 01:55AM
I remember Relco. They advertised a lot in magazines like Popular Mechanics and Boy's Life back in the '70s. Not really one of the more progressive players like Whites, Garrett, Fisher, or Compass, but they probably did pretty well in their market niche selling mediocre (but simple & fun) BFO machines to people getting started in the hobby. I had a Jetco, same type of company/detector. There were a bunch of companies like that back then. Most began fading away by the late '70s as detector technology was rapidly changing.

Fisher Teknetics XP Minelab

Posted by: jim tn
Date: July 15, 2017 11:40AM
In the early 70's my first detector was a Jetco. Still have it someplace, in fact. I remember Relco. HH jim tn

Posted by: azdigger
Date: July 15, 2017 01:21PM
I started with a gray Jetco............even found coins with it and a Calvary bridle piece.....mid 70's or so.

Posted by: Mr. Beard
Date: July 15, 2017 09:17PM
I started with a Relco in late 1969. The company was less than a mile from my house in Houston and I got to try all the models (all BFO) before deciding on which one to buy. I got instructions on tuning the detector and went out to the closest park. It buzzed on every target in the ground, so you had to listen close for a smooth rise in the sound. The old saying "beep and dig"....was correct....no meter, no target ID, no separate tones and no discrimination. After 4 or 5 years of using the BFO, I found another detector dealer in town and traded in the old Relco for a name brand detector. Too much competition in the late 1970's and refusal or inability to make VHF/TR detectors, made them go out of business. They would have folded sooner but their live animal trap side business kept them going a few years longer.

Mr. Beard (aka Dimeman) uses:
Fisher F5
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro-Pointer

Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: July 16, 2017 01:02PM
Great nostalgic look back. Yes, I recall the days when the users of all-metal detectors (77b, relco, 66tr, etc...) were quickly "left in the dust" if they didn't upgrade to the TR discriminators and then the motion discriminators . You were quickly a dinosaur . I didn't know that Relco itself failed to add the up-&-coming discriminators, when they had hit the market by the mid 1970s. Good post.

OOOOH man.........................
Posted by: Sven
Date: July 16, 2017 09:02PM
Don't remind me, in 69 bought a Relco, saved up my hard earned paper route money. The metal box Relco BFO arrived, didn't find any treasures and drifted so much, constantly had to retune it. That piece of junk almost dashed my hopes, dreams and interest in treasure hunting with a metal detector. Jetcos were not much better, local department store sold them, returned the one I bought. What saved the day was the Dtex catalog that arrived, bought a Tiny Tex BFO, started finding coins all over the schoolyards. Those swing sets, sure gave up a lot coins. Eventually found enough to upgrade to a White's TR.

Quest Pro & Q40, Nokta Impact
Self built Mirage Pi's --- they work great in trashy areas!!

Posted by: Hoser John
Date: July 17, 2017 08:06AM
1961 bought a kit from Tandy Craft to make a Heathkit bfo and away I go for over 56 years a fun and many dozens more kinds from bfo, tr, vlf,pulse etc etc. John

Re: OOOOH man.........................
Date: July 17, 2017 11:47AM
Sven
Don't remind me, in 69 bought a Relco, saved up my hard earned paper route money. The metal box Relco BFO arrived, didn't find any treasures and drifted so much, constantly had to retune it. That piece of junk almost dashed my hopes, dreams and interest in treasure hunting with a metal detector. Jetcos were not much better, local department store sold them, returned the one I bought. What saved the day was the Dtex catalog that arrived, bought a Tiny Tex BFO, started finding coins all over the schoolyards. Those swing sets, sure gave up a lot coins. Eventually found enough to upgrade to a White's TR.

Same with me. It didn't take long to figure out my Relco wasn't going to find me much. I put it away and waited years for Minelab to come out with their Explorer XS.

Date: July 17, 2017 12:12PM
Hoser John
1961 bought a kit from Tandy Craft to make a Heathkit bfo and away I go for over 56 years a fun and many dozens more kinds from bfo, tr, vlf,pulse etc etc. John

Was that tandy-craft kit even capable of finding coin sized targets ? If so, how deep ? Or was it only capable of finding larger items ? Eg.: horseshoes, hubcaps, cans, etc....

Date: July 17, 2017 12:13PM
Tony N (Michigan)
.... Relco wasn't going to find me much. I put it away and waited years for Minelab to come out with their Explorer XS.

Holy smokes ! That's quite a range/span of years ! You're giving your age away :) That's got to be 25-ish year gap between those incarnations ??

Date: July 17, 2017 01:28PM
Tom_in_CA
Tony N (Michigan)
.... Relco wasn't going to find me much. I put it away and waited years for Minelab to come out with their Explorer XS.

Holy smokes ! That's quite a range/span of years ! You're giving your age away :) That's got to be 25-ish year gap between those incarnations ??

Yep, that Relco sat in its wooden box. Every now and then I'd look at it but just didn't have the desire to waste my time taking it out again. Then something strange happened: I got married and had a girl.
Years later, when the old hag decided to leave (actually I asked her to move back with her parents if she didn't like living with me so she obliged) I went to a detector store and they pushed me toward the new Explorer XS. So glad they did.

Posted by: Hoser John
Date: July 18, 2017 08:36AM
The beach was full of coins, jewelry and junk in the 60s in redondo, hermosa etc as no beach cleaning monster machines. Paid for my first car, 52 ford, with the finds. Sure beat dragging that screen through the sands . Plenty of relics camping also but no nuggets though if memory serves me right this am, first cup a coffee not done yet-John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login