Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: OOOOH man.........................
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: July 18, 2017 01:47PM
Hoser John
The beach was full of coins, jewelry and junk in the 60s in redondo, hermosa etc ....

What kind of machine were you using in those days ?

I met a guy, about 20 yrs. ago, who had started in about 1963 or '64 as a young college kid, in So. CA, with a Metrotech. He had been on a beach in So. CA, and seen a few guys swinging them. Got interested, asked where they'd gotten theirs. Apparently there was a store front at the time selling them down there. Hence within a week or two, he was the proud owner of his own.

However, he was quite a ways inland (Riverside or Pasadena or something). So he soon learned that he could do quite well simply hunting sandboxes all over town. Which, .... in 1964-ish, were apparently virgin. The Metrotech could get decent depth for that era on coin-sized targets (4" or so ?). And in an hour or two's time, he could get a few bucks in change any day he wanted. And go figure: In 1964, minimum wage was only $1.25 p/h. So he could make more money metal detecting, than he could get working !

But he never had the presence of mind to go out and do anything exotic. Like angle for old coins, or do ghost towns, or beach storms, etc.... He simply had no idea. It was good enough just to angle for current coins in sandboxes. Nor did he save any of the coins (which would have been all silver in those days). Instead it was just beer and gas money !

Re: How many of you started off with a Relco?
Posted by: kingingkunsan
Date: July 20, 2017 08:03AM
I started with a RadioShack Discovery 1000. Obviously, I entered the hobby after a lot of you. If I recall correctly it was in 1999 or 2000. My wife bought the RS Discovery for me for X-Mas as a surprise. I knew nothing about metal detecting and was pretty excited. Found a bunch of clad (shallow) and one nice wedding set worth more than the machine. In 2003 I joined a detecting club and the members persuaded me in upgrading. I elected to get the Minelab Explorer II. Still have it. I have purchased other machines since; Tesoro Golden uMax, Tesoro (I forget which one), sold both due to being so attached to the FBS. I also have White's TDI (DIV) and Garrett Infinium (DIV & water hunting) and my wife uses the Garrett Ace 250. My oldest son uses White's DFX. I plan to upgrade to the Minelab ETrac in 2018 and my wife wants the Garrett AT Pro. My oldest son is happy with the DFX. My youngest son will end up using the Ace 250. Sorry for the long post

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: July 20, 2017 10:06AM
No but started out with a 10 buck radio shack from a flea market and 25 plus years later still going strong having used many models...

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: July 24, 2017 07:22AM
I started with a Metrotech in 72/3 and was certain that a Chinaman with metal in his mouth was in danger---found a lot of minie' balls with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login