Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: myth of the 90 degree turn to dig or not to dig??????
Posted by: calabash digger
Date: August 20, 2017 03:01PM
Hows it going my friend? You guys can come down when it cools off and ill take you guys to some 1890s to 1932 era homesites and see if we can squeak out a sliver or two. You looking at new detectors?

Posted by: hawgdawg
Date: August 20, 2017 07:39PM
D&P-OR
Oh get off of it with the attitude b.s.-----All I'm saying is an area should be covered from a couple of different directions.----Is that SO HARD for you to understand???
Architex
Hey, the guy is just trying to help. He has put up some very good videos. Not everyone has your superior intellect (or your attitude).

:blowup:

Wow. Who's the one with the attitude ? The man is just passing on some knowledge to some of us less experienced diggers. I for one appreciate any help I can get for my limited times that I do get to hunt. I've watched some of his videos , and enjoyed seeing his finds and his methods. So thank you Calabash Digger for your informative videos and post.
To D&P, we're still waiting for your positive and helpful information on the hobby. And be careful for the nose bleeds you can get up there on that high horse you're sitting on. :rofl:

Posted by: chuck, ky
Date: August 20, 2017 08:28PM
My situation is a little different than what you're talking about. When I used the Minelab Sovereign I would cherry pick with full discrimination. If I got a signal I switched to the all-metal pinpoint and if it pinpointed in the same location it was always a coin. After digging several that the pinpoint moved they all turned out to be nails.

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: August 20, 2017 10:14PM
Rough crowd here!:biggrin:----"Still waiting" huh?-----Well, having started in this great hobby 42 years ago I'd like to think that I already have contributed a few things along the line.---Obviously, this wasn't one of my better attempts at "contributing" (thus far).:biggrin:-----I have no superior knowledge/intellect, I'm just an old man (78 yrs. old) that's come up through the school of "hard knocks" in this great hobby (much of it before internet days).-----One of the neat things about this hobby is the fact that it's a never ending learning procedure (if you're really into it).----I learn new things about it and the equipment used all the time (in my actual hunts AND in my testing equip.)-----We can/should learn through the forums also---I know I learn & pick up some "gems" that way on occasion, we can learn from each other.------Admittedly, I don't get out on hunts anymore as much as I used to--but--my wife & I both still detect & are blessed to be able to hunt pretty much year around.-----Over the years we have detected every state in the U.S with the exception of the very upper north east U.S--someone said "that's where all the good targets (coins) are"--I dunno:smile:.---but guess what---we learned something in every one of these areas hunted.----Sometimes I think the more I learn I realize the less I know (with more questions than answers).--------Anyway---Calabash does turn out some good vids---and this post/thread has made a few very good responses (IMO).---------Getting back to target response (90 degree).------There are MANY things that affect that--not the least of canted targets, nearby trash, depth, ground condition/mineralized even moisture content in soil, etc.---MANY variables.-----Those that (always) insist on text book hits both ways--and a pre-conceived audio tone are surely leaving targets in the ground---I agree with you on that calabash.----As stated, too many variables--especially now-a-days & in hard hit sites---(most) of the easy/text book response targets are long gone.-----For best results---hunt your hard hit sites as many times as you can--AND--in as many directions as you have time for---also, if you hunt in moist ground (but not soaked)---maybe after a nice/saturating rain--to where the moisture has penetrated the ground nicely---you can/will be pleasantly surprised at your hunt results.--------Enough "ramblings" of an old man.-----------Del
hawgdawg
D&P-OR
Oh get off of it with the attitude b.s.-----All I'm saying is an area should be covered from a couple of different directions.----Is that SO HARD for you to understand???
Architex
Hey, the guy is just trying to help. He has put up some very good videos. Not everyone has your superior intellect (or your attitude).

:blowup:

Wow. Who's the one with the attitude ? The man is just passing on some knowledge to some of us less experienced diggers. I for one appreciate any help I can get for my limited times that I do get to hunt. I've watched some of his videos , and enjoyed seeing his finds and his methods. So thank you Calabash Digger for your informative videos and post.
To D&P, we're still waiting for your positive and helpful information on the hobby. And be careful for the nose bleeds you can get up there on that high horse you're sitting on. :rofl:

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: August 20, 2017 11:14PM
good write up del and sound advice. This is one of the things I like about my deus I can hunt it in many directions in 7 kh and then flip the switch and come back over it in 17 kh like running two different detectors across it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2017 11:15PM by calabash digger.

Posted by: 2 Much Trash
Date: August 24, 2017 07:01PM
Calabash this was a good post.
Could never figure out why some folks get a good signal, one way hit or two, then, circle it with the coil and if it goes away they don't dig it. Why look for a reason not to dig . Like arguing with a stop sign. Walk behind it and the argument is over. Good video Pal. You helped some folks. :thumbup:

Posted by: synthnut
Date: September 09, 2017 08:14AM
How about this for a novel approach ........ just dig a few targets that don't give you a sound when you turn 90° and see what you find !!! It's called experience it for yourself !!

Posted by: acemagurgle
Date: September 26, 2017 02:10PM
Thanks Calabash, I'm a seasoned vet, started metal detecting in 2015 , ive never known about the 90 degree turn , thanks for putting me on track and educating me, I use my Deus regularly and am still learning, hopefully I will always be able to learn and then teach others, good day

The 90 degree turn to dig or not to dig??????
Posted by: Rich (Utah)
Date: September 28, 2017 08:42PM
2 Much Trash
Calabash this was a good post.
Could never figure out why some folks get a good signal, one way hit or two, then, circle it with the coil and if it goes away they don't dig it. Why look for a reason not to dig . Like arguing with a stop sign. Walk behind it and the argument is over. Good video Pal. You helped some folks. :thumbup:

I think many of the old timers, like myself, are trying to figure if the signal is a possible coin (or other good target) or is being generated off the point of a rusty nail. Boy I've dug A LOT of rusty nails over the years. SOME of those 1-way targets are coins in odd positions or next to trash, like Del indicated above, and some of them are deep rusty nails.

But like mentioned above, as the commonly hunted locations continue to get pressure from detectorists, you've got to find a way to help your odds. Tuning your ear to the sounds and digging some questionable targets is a way to pick up a few extra keepers.

As for the comment about years in the hobby equating to expertise, I think it really depends on the individual. There are things you learn detecting only thru experience. If you're new and get out a lot, you gain experience more quickly. If you hunt with others, you can compare notes and learn even more quickly. I think watching videos can help, IF the person hunting is explaining things as they go along rather than just showing you what they found. (Look what I found videos are nice for generating some excitement to get out and hunt, if you need that) Instructional videos are a different thing where you get to see how the hunter sets up their machine and HEAR the signals and follow along with the hunter. This type of thing accelerates learning.

Being willing to experiment is also key. Some people get so anxious to dig up targets as fast as they can, (like pulling the slot machine handle) they miss the opportunity to try different settings to see how well they can predict a target.

Best of luck out in the field.

Rich (Utah)

* etrac * racer 2 * eq 800 * . . and others *

1st day of detecting school . . . . . . . . . . . .

Posted by: BillF
Date: October 02, 2017 01:40PM
I used to base whether I would dig something on the 90° turn. I didn't turn to check if it was good, just to help me pinpoint better and if I got that crappy signal I used to skip it. A while back I started digging the "good one way" signals anyway. Man, what an eye opener. Too often it was just like what CD showed in his vid. Good coin next to a roofing nail or something similar.
I hunt in severely trash infested areas because I like to pick out what others skip over, and I listen for that little high tone blip in all the noise. It's all I have anymore in an area that is so detector saturated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login