Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: HOW CAN A 9 INCH COIL AIR TEST THIS DEEP??
Posted by: Southwind
Date: August 30, 2017 11:12AM
^^^^^ Couldn't agree more Architex. At least that has been my conclusion from many many tests.

Now I know I've seen the claims that "some detectors don't air test as well as others" but, when configure right I have found that to be less an issue.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2017 11:17AM by Southwind.

Re: Actually, 12" Whisper In The Ground Where It Counts On The AT MAX
Posted by: dfmike
Date: August 30, 2017 06:12PM
John-Edmonton
Depth alone should never be the number one reason for purchasing a metal detector, just as speed is not the number one reason for purchasing a car.

Amen to that. Personally I think that understanding a machine's language, strengths and limitations is more important than maximum depth alone.

Active detectors: Fisher F19 LTD, Nokta Fors CoRe, Makro pointer and way too many coils.
Previous detectors: Bounty Hunter Discovery, Fisher F44, Omega 8000 V6, Minelab X-Terra 705, Fisher F5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2017 06:29PM by dfmike.

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: August 30, 2017 07:20PM
You have to understand a machines language, limitations and strengths to get the maximum depth out of it. Kinda a straw man you guys using in this discussion because there is way more to the deus than it just being deep .

Posted by: sprchng
Date: August 30, 2017 08:45PM
Depth is of limited value if I.D. goes down the drain with it.
I.D. is not too important to a relic hunter that digs most everything but everyone does not just dig relics.

Posted by: hairymonsterman
Date: August 31, 2017 07:04AM
Coil for coil, if air tests are to believed, the Rutus would be deeper.

Air test on Deus.
https://youtu.be/5ze1jKoQYb4

Air test on Rutus.
https://youtu.be/IT25ENXGO9A

[quote="calabash digger" To be honest I don't know of a deeper digital machine out there coil size for coil size.. [/quote]

Posted by: calabash digger
Date: August 31, 2017 07:11AM
rutus great machine know a few who have got it and had it very good for the money too. In ground its not as deep from what those users said but it looks like a very deep machine might be a better deal than the at series for the money about the same price. downside no us service center and not water proof.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2017 07:41AM by calabash digger.

Take an F-75 & use the stock 7X11" DD loop....
Posted by: vlad
Date: August 31, 2017 02:51PM
put it in stat mode...........air tests will boggle the mind.....un-be-lievable!
What it will do in the ground is astounding.....you better have a big shovel. :biggrin:

Not quite......
Date: August 31, 2017 02:59PM
Get in some really bad dirt like the red clay in E. Texas or what they have in Alabama and 4-5" is doing good.
Throw in bad negative ground and wet salt, and even P.I.'s have limits. (I can take you to a place west of Sabine Pass where the ground balance can move,
in extremis, in 2", & VLF's are useless. Its a P.I. or nothing. (empirical results)

Re: Not quite......
Posted by: Architex
Date: August 31, 2017 04:37PM
Don't think you read my post very carefully.

One Man's Trash...........is what I usually find.

XP Deus / CTX 3030

Where are the diamond rings?.............They said there'd be diamond rings !.

Re: Take an F-75 & use the stock 7X11" DD loop....
Posted by: Architex
Date: August 31, 2017 04:38PM
Do you have a video? Would really like to see that.

One Man's Trash...........is what I usually find.

XP Deus / CTX 3030

Where are the diamond rings?.............They said there'd be diamond rings !.

Don't have the time for videos, I prefer hunting :biggrin:
Date: September 01, 2017 05:27AM
I'm sure there are those who do.......... :beers:

Posted by: Doctorcoinz
Date: September 03, 2017 12:20PM
Air tests prove very little , i have seen detectors that can pick a large coin up at 18 inches in air, same coin in my back garden maybe 6 inches!.

Re: Take an F-75 & use the stock 7X11" DD loop....
Posted by: Doctorcoinz
Date: September 03, 2017 12:23PM
The air test is only valid if the ground is clean. .. I can never get anywhere near the air test depth in ground..

Posted by: steve herschbach
Date: September 03, 2017 04:19PM
Architex
A test in air, comparing machine to machine, is a fair test of comparative depth expectations in dirt. Depth in dirt will be less of course, but relative strength will be comparable.

Not true. Air tests do nothing to measure the efficiency of a detectors ground canceling capability and are easily manipulated. In general high frequencies will air test better than low frequencies. Single frequency machines generally air test better than multifrequency machines. VLF detectors generally air test better than PI detectors. Those results can flip 180 degrees in the moderate to highly mineralized ground. Low frequencies inherently penetrate bad ground better than high frequencies. PI detectors inherently penetrate bad ground much better than VLF detectors. Air tests can be informative but about the last thing they prove is how well a detector handles the worst ground conditions. You need the ground for that.

Minelab GPZ 7000, Gold Monster 1000, Equinox 800; Garrett ATX; Makro Gold Racer; White's V3i/Bigfoot; Garrett Carrot; Sun Ray Pro Gold

Posted by: Southwind
Date: September 03, 2017 04:27PM
OK obviously ground conditions play a role in depth we all already know this. What the common sense people are trying to point out is the FACT that in neutral ground conditions then air test comparisons are pretty darn accurate. That is to say if a detector air tests at 9" on a dime and another detector air tests the same dime at 12", chances are pretty darn accurate that the one that tested at 12" will average better depth in most cases. Pretty simple really.

Throwing in all the if, and or buts won't change the facts.

The real treasure is in the hunt...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2017 04:31PM by Southwind.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login