Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: New Minelab
Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: September 21, 2017 06:48PM
enderman

I watched the video you posted and compared it to this video Minelab Equinox speed test! SO FAST!!! Is it just me or did the Deus do a little better with the iron bar?

This brings up a question I asked earlier, if you can have more reactivity then can be utilized, at what point is too much reactivity?

Deus was faster, sharper, but for a Minelab that was impressive. That said raise the coil 6 to 8 inches and try both again.

Posted by: hairymonsterman
Date: September 22, 2017 03:46AM
Gary, you also had 2 test holes at Detectival where the hf elliptical coil couldn't hit a small gold coin at 3" or 4" in 14khz.

I tried the same test as Sid did with the Equinox, £2 coin and the open hole, the Deus with 13" coil got much the same result, i covered the hole in and it was gone, though the soil was registering full on the Deus mineral scale when the coil was pumped.

Gary-B
At the Detectival XP had a test bed, one of the demonstrations was a copper coin buried at 16" not an open hole.The Deus located this target.
The soil at the rally did not appear to be highly mineralised only 2 bars on the Deus meter.

Date: September 22, 2017 03:54AM
Deus doing same test with bigger thicker iron, coil isn't being completely covered width wise by the iron, using stock program Deus fast, with sens at 85.
I could have adjusted the Deus to given even better results, but using stock program anyone could easily try at home and see the vid wasn't rigged.

https://youtu.be/tSgDELKrJCQ

squirrel1
Equinox is game changer.
Them tests by iron down the barrel swing directions,,,,try that with Deus or CTX = No Go.

Posted by: squirrel1
Date: September 22, 2017 06:41AM
hairymonsterman
Deus doing same test with bigger thicker iron, coil isn't being completely covered width wise by the iron, using stock program Deus fast, with sens at 85.
I could have adjusted the Deus to given even better results, but using stock program anyone could easily try at home and see the vid wasn't rigged.

squirrel1
Equinox is game changer.
Them tests by iron down the barrel swing directions,,,,try that with Deus or CTX = No Go.

Your test not the same test done at detectival.
Notice the Deus tones with the coin on end,,tone heavily compromised.
Equinox sounded clearer not near as compromised.
Don' t think Minelab didn't do a study of .Deus when developing Deus.

Using Equinox,,in test at detectival, like the iron bar wasn't there,,iron tone practically nonexistent.
Btw gamechanger doesn't mean necessarily a detector does things not previously done,,but rather a detector model that can do like similar things for cheaper price.
Deus sale will definitely take a hit with Equinox.
Anyone who doesn't believe this is dreaming.
Other models sales will take hits too.

The waterproofing really put Equinox over the top, when tied to performance,,for the $$ they cost.
I'll bet also there is huge debate going on with Minelab as far as warranty period.
We'll,see..

Date: September 22, 2017 07:59AM
Not the same test, but harder!
I'd say the Deus hit the coins clearly enough, put it in 2 tones alter a few settings and it would do better, but certainly not a "no go" as you say.

squirrel1
hairymonsterman

squirrel1
Equinox is game changer.

Your test not the same test done at detectival.
Notice the Deus tones with the coin on end,,tone heavily compromised.
Equinox sounded clearer not near as compromised.

Using Equinox,,in test at detectival, like the iron bar wasn't there,,iron tone practically nonexistent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2017 08:00AM by hairymonsterman.

Posted by: Blank Planet
Date: September 22, 2017 08:36AM
I feel a law suit coming on :bouncy:

minelab been using XP's detector to make a minelab um arh :lmfao:

bring on the fight good to see 2 heavy weights punch on :biggrin:

but all minelab have done so far is swing hay makers that have turned in to air swings :rofl:

lots of air swinging :buds:

Posted by: TerryR
Date: September 22, 2017 08:46AM
I think it's funny we have experts that read the box or the ad. They are lining up to buy one and don't even know if it will work. If it's not in production it's not ready for the market. I've bought a lot of machines just released in 40 years of detecting and have found out the smart person waits for a while just to see if the new latest and the greatest works. Early buying has done nothing more for me then to take my money in most cases. A month ago I just bought my second Deus rather then wait for the NOX. I don't know about anyone else but I'm kind of sad to see it even being discussed in the Deus forum, but maybe it's just me

Well Spoken TerryR,
Posted by: silverseeker 2
Date: September 22, 2017 09:23AM
For a moment there I had to Slap myself in the face to
make sure that I was on the Deus Forum. Minelab, You
can have them , their LEAKY over-priced Ctx which many
think is the Greatest out there. Then the Go find series.
What I get out of Minelab these days is cheap junk and
expensive junk. Minelab's greatest feat here in the States
was the E-Trac and Explorer series. After that it's all DOWN HILL!!!
Now they have this Equinox and guys are lining up like Rats on Cheese...
I wish them LUCK!
I'LL be keeping on with my FAITHFUL DEUS 3.2
Can't be beat in the IRON...
silverseeker2

Re: Well Spoken TerryR,
Date: September 22, 2017 09:38AM
I see no reason not to own both a Deus and Equinox given the Equinox only costs $899. If the thing was $2,000 then forget it but at $899 I'll buy serial #001.

I agree Terry...
Posted by: Mikie
Date: September 22, 2017 09:42AM
Minelab has lurched from disaster to disaster over the last few machines... I am sticking with my Deus!!

Micheal

"There's no present like the time"

"A dog is better than me, for she has love and does not judge"

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in"

One question:
Posted by: Greg (E.Tn)
Date: September 22, 2017 10:02AM
What is the point of doing a depth test on a coin, mentioning the mineralization and iron content of the soil, digging the hole, putting the coin at the bottom.........

but not filling the hole back in?

Why not just place the coin on the surface and swing over it?

It looks very deceptive, to say the least.

Posted by: LTimedigger
Date: September 22, 2017 10:37AM
Terry its not just you. I've had my CTX for about six years now and the Deus for 2 so I feel qualified to offer an opinion, though reluctantly. I recently got my CTX back from repairs. It was out for a few weeks but the tech told me I was lucky it was stilll under warranty. I was extremely annoyed however when I discovered that my specialty programs had all been deleted. But this week I took it out to a local park to do some practice in high trash using target trace which I really like. Big mistake. I immediately noticed that I was getting no depth and that I was having trouble locking on the good tones. I was only able to correct by continually doing a noise cancel. One of the contributors noted that the Deus sometines falls on its face, well sometimes so does the ML. None of them are perfect. It hit me that this park is very old and seeded with iron as well as modern trash which is why it struggled as opposed to the Deus where I've found some nice goodies lately Don't get me wrong. The MLs are great machines. They've let me make some great finds over the years but the Deus is simply simpler and more adaptable to different sites. If the Nox proves to be cutting edge, I may have to swallow my pride(and my $2500) and get one as my 2nd machine but NOT until I see what it really offers. O/W my go to 2nd machine for some of my buddies will be another Deus.HH

Re: I agree Terry...
Posted by: enderman
Date: September 22, 2017 11:35AM
You bring up an interesting point about the 2nd machine. I really like the Deus "system" for lack of a better word.

I reluctantly tried a Deus lite as an alternative to another Minelab which due to the local dollar crept up to almost 2 grand with taxes. ($1,980 total)
As it turns out rather then being a compromised alternative for land, it also became my primary water machine, an unexpected bonus.
Sure the active Deus coils are expensive compared to a passive coil, but it's much cheaper then a quality water machine. (Excalibur $1,500 vs a 2nd Deus coil for around $500.)
Another consideration is the risk factor, it is highly unlikely that you will flood both the Deus coil and headphones in the water. By having a land and sea system, a spare coil or headphones can be easily substituted while the other is repaired. All your eggs aren't in one basket.
Lets also look at the fact that the Deus is more versatile in the water compared to current Minelab, just like on land.

Minelab was king of the coins, but the Deus is waaay more versatile on both targets and user configuration, land and sea. (Freshwater)

Now time will tell how well Equinox does, it would have been a great machine for me...4 or 5 years ago. However now that I have been introduced to the Deus "system" it would be hard to replace it.

Look at how the "new" XP coils work with the "old" Deus hardware. XP is updating all the time, you can just roll the new hardware (and software) through your system as you see fit. That is nicer then having to jump to a completely different platform when you want to upgrade a specific feature. This little detail is a big thing, someone had their thinking cap on.

Ironically I suppose credit could go to the Minelab Xterra series, because you could change your Freq with the coil, however it had no ability to update, Freq was lock to a specific coil, just a little ahead of it's time. Also I don't think the Xterra series was engineered seriously enough. What I mean is they had their FBS series as their "serious" machines and made the Xterra series as a more pedestrian machine. The problem with that logic is metal detecting does not have a pedestrian market. Rarely does that type of person buy a machine, if they do it ends up in a closet after a couple of outings. That is not enough to sustain a niche market lineup like that, especially when compared to the raving lunatics that buy those Garrets. Garret gets away with it because their beginner lineup includes the ATPro, it matters not to them which "Ace" you buy, they all cost the same to make.

Some have mentioned Minelab flops. I tried a GoFind 60 last night, I put it head to head with a Technetics Delta 4000. The retail price is about the same though the Delta always goes on sale. (In fact just checked it's $277 CAD this morning)
The Delta will absolutely smoke the GoFind in everything except for ID of nickle coins, which is a hollow victory in that regard too because it is a hard machine to "X". The Delta is deeper, faster and handles EMI much better. Not to mention the GoFInd frame had a lot of slop. I was hoping the GoFind would be a compact little backup for digging shallow round sounds, but it's not. For $350 it should have worked at least as good as the Xterra. Who cares about Bluetooth connectivity, the purchaser won't likely use one long enough to take advantage of such features. I certainly haven't heard any chatter about it.
So the Delta will stay as a backup/loaner for friends and family. At least if they use that I won't feel bad giving them a gimped up machine. In fact I know a guy locally who did amazing with a Delta, now I know why, it's decent enough. I kinda feel bad for him because I sold him a Etrac and I think he struggles with it, he is in that quagmire now. He did awesome with the Delta, it was easy to use, but now he's too captivated with the Etrac right now to put it down. I thought based on his Delta finds he would just light it up with the Etrac, but that's not quite the case. He's made a few decent finds with the Etrac, just in that awkward stage right now and won't read the manual. (He's silver hunting with 3 tones I think, eek!) IMO it's hard to look for silver when it sounds like a "12" on a Minelab lol. Oh well we have all been there.

All my blathering aside, this Equinox will likely be a home run for Minelab. I already feel like I would recommend it to someone who wants the best "conventional" machine for under a grand. Remember Deus Lite does not have heads up display, I wouldn't push it on newer person who wants a screen, I understand the allure of having that number there at first.
However, I would like to try one first, cause I can still taste that GoFind from last night, the Equinox could suck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2017 11:37AM by enderman.

Posted by: JBM1
Date: September 23, 2017 02:21PM
I attended the Detectorist 17 Rally and it was a outstanding event.

Minelab went overboard on this rally which was a charity fund raising event.

Minelab were also giving away lots of freebies like beads to the natives.

Personally I purchased a XP Deus High frequency coil having watched the tiny piece of gold test which is on Steves u-tube video.

There were more XP machines proportionally on the rally than any other.

Bringing in the sample Exuinox by parachute was a novel idea.

Alain Loubet and the XP stand was possibly the busiest and up to 6 experts at a time helping folks out.

All the big UK XP dealers were on site and special offers were available.

Only time will tell us what future the New Minelab has for the detecting world.

The XP Deus is still the only true completely Wireless detector.

The new Equinox controller look very much like the Quest one from the USA, which seemed to have large crowds around their tented area.

In-fact I heard from a good source that the dealership is exceptionally busy trying to cope with the large demand.

Only time will tell with our hobby which I have been interested in since the late 1970`s and had my first Minelab in the 1980`s.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Date: September 23, 2017 08:11PM
Jerry I ran this small gold test on my Deus this morning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login