Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: New Minelab
Posted by: enderman
Date: September 17, 2017 04:53PM
Indeed what seems to be revolutionary, (for Minelab) is the configuration as opposed the actual tech. Adjustable freq, reactivity and the option for FBS.

It's too bad they felt the need to make two different price points. That's one thing about XP they put their best foot forward with the Deus. One could argue the Deus Lite is crippled, it depends what features you are after, plus it can always have programs changed be upgraded if you come across someone with a remote, a reasonable compromise.

Posted by: sprchng
Date: September 17, 2017 06:47PM
Geez , you're writing the Deus' epitaph and the Nox hasn't even been released yet:confused:
BTW , you forgot to mention that the Nox appears to be faster than the Deus also,,,in multi freq. and with iron

Date: September 17, 2017 07:35PM
sprchng
Geez , you're writing the Deus' epitaph and the Nox hasn't even been released yet:confused:
BTW , you forgot to mention that the Nox appears to be faster than the Deus also,,,in multi freq. and with iron

Who are you talking to?

Date: September 17, 2017 08:17PM
OK assuming you're talking to me. I did not write the epitah for the Deus, I have said several times that the Deus is a nicer package.

With regards to speed, couple things. The guy in the video said a Deus was like a "3" on the Equinox reactivity. -Deus at what reactivity setting?
Then he turned it up to "8" and implied that that would be really fast compared to a Deus.- Is this reactivity a linear adjustment? Again compared the what Deus reactivity?
Also how much is too much, does anyone hunt with the Deus above 4?

How is the Equinox faster with iron? I missed that. FBS with a higher reactivity would be interesting if the reactivity is adjustable in FBS.

Posted by: Chase Goldman
Date: September 17, 2017 08:18PM
The new Minelab machine is compelling. They got the price point right which let's practically all the air out of the AT Max hype (the Garrett fanbois will buy it no matter what even if the Max simply fixes the AT Pro's design flaws, except of course, weight and balance) and, perhaps more importantly, the Nokta Impact which is a detector I seriously considered for awhile, even with my vaunted Deus. Besides the fact that there is precious little real world information and use videos or even a detailed spec sheet, if Minelab lives up to it's own hype they got the following things right:

#1 - Price! Way to go Minelab, a new business strategy, volume over profit margin.
#2 - Submersible - it's no Excalibur dive machine, but in this day and age there is practically no reason why a detector shouldn't be all terrain up to at least 3M submersion. Hell, flagship smartphones can take it, why can't all detectors, now. [side note: The lack of submersibility or even providing weatherproof capability is where Nokta lost me on the Impact]
#3 - Multiple Frequencies and Multi-Frequency. We have yet to see how they have actually implemented Multi-frequency in this unit vs. the high end FBS/BBS machines, but Minelab is king of this technology/feature (Whites notwithstanding) so anything that would make this a superior salt beach and surf machine vs.it's waterproof but salt water deficient vlf competition makes me sit up and take notice. The real key question brings us to #4
#4 - Attempt to give it some decent recovery speed. The key question? Is fast recovery performance going to be across the board (i.e., something you are going to see in single frequency mode AND multi-frequency mode or single freq only)(Digression: they actually use the term reactivity - isn't that a hoot? And Minelab are the ones suing XP - go figure)
#5 - Wireless Audio - Bluetooth (I have a pair of bluetooth headphones I would LOVE to pair up with this thing) and proprietary wirelsss module. Good to have options. Bluetooth also opens up the possibility of smartphone integration (GPS mapping, finds catalogging and programming.
#6 - Light weight (if not compact like the Deus). Question on how balanced will it end up being?

Other Questions:

When can they be bought!

Can the firmware be upgraded by the end user?

What accessory coils will be available and at what cost?

BTW - If Minelab sells me on the 'Nox - Deus will still be my primary machine but I can see where the 'Nox will come in handy. Since I don't dive, it might make sense to sell my Excal and beta test specimen MX Sport to pick one of these up and pocket the change for accessory coils.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 08:22PM by Chase Goldman.

Posted by: TN Mike
Date: September 17, 2017 09:10PM
Simple question. Does it have a backlight?

Date: September 17, 2017 09:23PM
Yes it has a backlight

Posted by: sprchng
Date: September 17, 2017 10:21PM
It becomes a real dilemma for me if the release and performance live up to the hype.:confused:
Do I replace the worn out batteries in my Deus or use it to trade up to the Nox the way it is?
Will it really takes 6 months for Minelab to do the actual release ?,,,,by then I'll be charging my Deus twice a day to get through a hunt.:thumbdown:

Posted by: Blank Planet
Date: September 17, 2017 11:00PM
one thing is plain to see is that the speed fight is on :poke: fast is the new deep so come on XP lets ramp up the Deus speed for the minelab fan boys and put the foot down on this wannabe machine.

and yes I use the Deus on 5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 11:03PM by Blank Planet.

Date: September 17, 2017 11:00PM
Hard to say.

If you can hunt all winter then maybe tough it out and see if the Minelab comes out soon, also depends how much/how difficult it is for you to replace the batteries.

Others have mentioned the Equinox headphones need a modual, Bluetooth might be slower then Deus audio.
Deus has subjectively better audio tones. (More descriptive)
Deus already has freq adjust for all the conventional freqs and already has reactivity. Do you hunt with a 5 reactivity and crave more? (Remember depth loss with reactivity)

You see where I'm going, unless you want/need the FBS option I don't think the Equinox is going to do anything your Deus doesn't do already. I have reservations about the HF trends, time will tell how this pans out for depth in the future.

This launch seems a little more organized then the ATMax announcement so I wouldn't be surprised if it's out sooner then the ATMin.
I like how they didn't give the prototypes out to a bunch of amateur youtube shills for "feedback." I do like Aquachigger, but even he's doing the affiliate nonsense. Boo.
For most I would say it's safe to say it will be out in time for spring, I think I read both Christmas and February release, but I forget which video I saw that in, I don't know if it's accurate.

Date: September 17, 2017 11:08PM
reality is for me I don't need a new detector and I am not buying something I don't need, what I need is to sell more off not bring them in, unless it can fart stuff out the end of the coil I don't need it, want maybe but I think I have that outta my system..

Date: September 17, 2017 11:08PM
Blank Planet
one thing is plain to see is that the speed fight is on :poke: fast is the new deep so come on XP lets ramp up the Deus speed for the minelab fan boys and put the foot down on this wannabe machine.

I wonder if the reactivity speeds are directly connected to processor speeds.

Equinox being newer would have access to faster more efficient chips then whatever Deus chose a few years back.

Posted by: Charles (Upstate NY)
Date: September 17, 2017 11:43PM
We'll see how the EQ does on crown caps because the Deus its sucks in that regard.

Date: September 18, 2017 01:00AM
enderman
Blank Planet

I wonder if the reactivity speeds are directly connected to processor speeds.

Equinox being newer would have access to faster more efficient chips then whatever Deus chose a few years back.

yep tech has gone fast in what can fit where in a short time..

hey if its a but kicker I will sell and buy but not selling till I know been down that road before..

Date: September 18, 2017 01:05AM
Charles (Upstate NY)
We'll see how the EQ does on crown caps because the Deus its sucks in that regard.

not going to argue with that..

for me its speed and super ID in that 1st 4 to 5 " is what I use the Deus for its not my deep silver machine sure it finds deep silver in heavy iron better than a minelab FBS add modern trash and it falls over for me against the FBS detectors, so they all have a place now for me (Deus FBS, FBS2) I have to see if Nox fills a gap for me, my point is its going to have to be one very fine machine to fit in my line up..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2017 01:09AM by Blank Planet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login