Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: OK....Fess Up! What Was A Big Blooper Which Happened To You Metal Detecting :rofl:?
Posted by: Goldstrike
Date: September 26, 2017 06:18PM
There is not much more frustrating than to leave a critical piece of equipment at home when your miles away from home. This has happened a few times with me but the one that stands out was when I went to the beach for a week of detecting(a 2hour drive from home). When I got there, I got my gear out and............where's my sand scoop?....*#@%+@#!. I google searched the nearest detector store and it was close to 40 miles away. I just had to make the drive and got it done that day. I always go through my check list BEFORE I leave home now!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2017 06:19PM by Goldstrike.

Re: OK....Fess Up! What Was A Big Blooper Which Happened To You Metal Detecting :rofl:?
Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: September 26, 2017 08:18PM
I thought I had made a mistake once--but it turned out I was mistaken!!:lmfao:-----Well, maybe just that time I drove home from the hunt site with my gear on top of the Jeep. At least it was when I left--went back all along the road & hunt area--never seen it again.----And there was that time we drove off leaving the DFX on the ground in a park---went back & got that one though!:thumbup:-----And then there was these other times that.......oh, never mind---it's getting me depressed talkin about it!!!:cry::wink:

Posted by: GO VA
Date: September 27, 2017 08:12PM
One from when I first started detecting that has made me laugh the most over the years was one Sunday afternoon after the county fair left town. I had gotten my first detector about 6 months earlier, did my research and thought I knew what I was doing LOL. I had to work that morning and I had everything in the car and ready to go just as soon as I got off work and when the time came I was in the car and off to the fairgrounds which is a local park I had detected several times leading up to the big day. When I started detecting there was iron everywhere and I knew that there had to have been a major problem with one of the rides that sent small pieces of metal all around but I just couldn't see it in the grass so I went to another area and started again with the same results. 20 minutes later, frustrated and thinking what kind of people would bring rides in such pore shape to the fair I realize I hadn't taken the time to changed shoes and still had my steel toed work boots on and my street shoes were setting under my desk at work.

Posted by: staffydog33
Date: September 28, 2017 04:09AM
Phew...glad I'm not the only one who made newbie or just plain silly mistakes.

I was getting frustrated after getting a signal....getting down on my knees with my pinpointer and finding the target...but I'd always quickly redo the hole with my pinpointed just in case.

Every bloody hole had a second target that made the pinpointer go crazy...so I'd be chuffed as helll thinking coil spill etc or whatever it could be.

BUT...after an hour in multiple holes, that second f****g target I just could not find it...even though I know it was only 1 or 2 inches away with my pinpointer.

Then, it hit me. I took off my gloves and I forgot to take off my sterling thumb rings on my left hand and a cheap and nasty ring I made out of a pound coin I wore on my little finger...lol.

I can laugh now but I was SOOO cheesed off at the time!

LOL.

Matt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2017 04:13AM by staffydog33.

Posted by: slingshot
Date: September 28, 2017 11:10AM
Back in the 70's was testing my new GarrettTR against my BFO. Left the BFO on a park table- no visible people around- and only drove a block before I remembered. Of course, it was gone- in less than 5 minutes.

Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: September 28, 2017 01:32PM
John-Edmonton
Mine was driving across town, with a great spot in mind. When I got there, I realized that I forgot my metal detector at home!

did that plus more. I drove an hour away to search a new site from the 1870s. When I got there, I spent an hour walking the field looking for glass and pottery shard to hone in to the hot spot to start. Then went back to the truck and found that I had didn't have my detector! I had taken it out the day before to room to haul something and forgot to put it back in. I'm so used to always having with me I never thought to check to make sure its there.

I still haven't been back and now weve had about 6 inches of rain so it will take days more for it to dry out enough to go back.

Posted by: D&P-OR
Date: September 30, 2017 12:25PM
Jason-----At least you found the spot (to go back to).:smile:-----My wife & I had done the research & (thought) we had the area figured out where an old long lost site was.---We walked that whole area bent over for a half day looking for glass shards, metal, square nails--anything--to indicate the spot---found nothing, nada!----We had our detectors with us though--didn't need 'em but boy we had 'em.-----Then there was that time I hunted the full length of a LOOONG shed at an old fairgrounds with the Etrac/X-1.----I got clear to the far end of that shed before I realized I had left the Sunray X-1 switch on.-----I looked around to see if anybody had noticed---embarrassed myself on that one & there wasn't even anybody close by..:smile:-----I've pulled some loosies over the years (confessions of an old, worn out detectorist)!:biggrin:----------Del-
Jason in Enid
John-Edmonton
Mine was driving across town, with a great spot in mind. When I got there, I realized that I forgot my metal detector at home!

did that plus more. I drove an hour away to search a new site from the 1870s. When I got there, I spent an hour walking the field looking for glass and pottery shard to hone in to the hot spot to start. Then went back to the truck and found that I had didn't have my detector! I had taken it out the day before to room to haul something and forgot to put it back in. I'm so used to always having with me I never thought to check to make sure its there.

I still haven't been back and now weve had about 6 inches of rain so it will take days more for it to dry out enough to go back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login