Findmall.com

Metal Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: My new plan for obtaining permissions
Posted by: marcomo
Date: October 22, 2017 01:07AM
The law says if you don't have property owner permission for private property, you don't have permission.

If your moral compass points in a different direction, keep in mind that not everyone lurking on this forum is necessarily friendly to our hobby.

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: October 22, 2017 09:31AM
Lets reverse the situation...someone knocks on your door and asks to detect your yard...what would you do???
Abandoned properties, farmland , parks, public places etc. I will ask..... private yards tough situation...

Posted by: John-Edmonton
Date: October 22, 2017 11:47AM
I like your idea of using a "gift" as a means of obtaining permission, I just am not sure about the cigarettes and caffeinated Mountain Dew. Lots of people don't smoke these days, and being offered some free cigarettes is a bit of an insult to someone these days knowingly what the smoking hazards are, and probably having had someone die from a cancer related death.Maybe I am too biased as I have been a Registered Nurse for 27 years,I don't know?

Perhaps a %-off coupon or free gallon of gas might be more neutral.

I have only asked for permission a couple of times, and offered to let them also join me detecting with a spare unit, giving them too the opportunity to detect and also getting a free lesson at the same time.

And if they want to keep the treasures I dig, that's fine by me. :) To me it's the hunt that gives me the satisfaction. I can always take a pick of the finds and post them on a forum and refer them as being returned to the owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 11:53AM by John-Edmonton.

:rant:N/T
Date: October 22, 2017 11:48AM

(This message does not contain any text.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 11:54AM by John-Edmonton.

Posted by: pplinker
Date: October 22, 2017 12:55PM
Yeah, the cigarettes are bad. Mt Dew is bad. Candy is bad. Maybe a nice Confederate flag tee shirt......NO, NO, NO, just kidding! My plan was bad.

Seriously posting this was wrong on my part, I apologize for any wrong thinking or disrespect to any group of people or to the hobby.

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Date: October 22, 2017 03:33PM
No....your plan was a good one. :) Once the word gets around about a gift to detect properties, people would be more obliged to say yes. You/we just have to come up with what a good gift could be. You got a lot of responses to your post. That's a good thing.:thumbup:

Posted by: pplinker
Date: October 22, 2017 05:51PM
Thank you John! I'm sort of deflated now about permissions. Went to the ball field and found 54 cents. Think i'll put detecting on hold till the crops are harvested in the field or another construction site opens up. I always enjoy your posts. Happy hunting!

Greetings and good luck from West Virginia

XP Dius, Minelab 704 with 3khz 9 inch coil, 18 KHZ 5 inch coil, 5 inch coiltek coil, 18 kHz 5 x 9 coil. Original Garrot pinpointer, Garrot pinpointer pro and M16 pinpointer

1831 large cent, 1838 seated silver dime, 1901 barber dime, 1864 two-cent piece,1886,1900 and 1904 Indian head pennies, 3 silver Washington quarters, 3 Roosevelt dimes. 30 or 40 wheats, 10K black hills gold ring, 1974 10K gold class ring, 1870 Artillery button, 1940 and 1944 Mercury dime, ?? three cent piece

I am a 61 year old wife and mother with two daughters and three granddaughters. I'm thankful for all God's blessings.

Date: October 22, 2017 08:12PM
All the best! :)

Posted by: Dan-Pa.
Date: October 23, 2017 11:15AM
In retrospect during my deer hunting days always gave the landowner a bottle of liquor or perhaps a box of chocolates for his wife for permission to hunt his property..
Whether applicable to hobby don't know but perhaps it is....

Posted by: doc holiday232
Date: October 25, 2017 01:56PM
pplinker
Yeah, the cigarettes are bad. Mt Dew is bad. Candy is bad. Maybe a nice Confederate flag tee shirt......NO, NO, NO, just kidding! My plan was bad.

Seriously posting this was wrong on my part, I apologize for any wrong thinking or disrespect to any group of people or to the hobby.

Maybe a BLM tee shirt would be more appropriate??????????

Posted by: Jim C (Mich)
Date: October 27, 2017 09:32PM
I mainly detected old home sites and most older folks are more trusting. I just gave my name where I live and then told them that I have a hobby of metal detecting and love asking at old home sites like they had. If I get a no I just went to the next one. You will get a yes and it is well worth the trouble if what you like digging are old coins. Plus when my kids were younger and I had a place I really wanted to get on I would drag them along and go up to the door with me and that worked like a charm. Another good place is to look through those free local realtor books at the store and find old homes that are up for sale. Call the realtor and just ask. I have gotten into a couple real good home sites that way. If ya really want it you will get it done. Nothing like hitting the last of virgin sites, an old home that hasn't been detected. Some are loaded. Just my 2 cents. Jim

Posted by: marcomo
Date: October 28, 2017 10:45PM
Those 2 cents of yours are key dates Jim.

Well said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login